This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#69203 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:07 am
lbmofo wrote:For me, I notice no difference between ooma and my cell when calling this number to test echo delay.

tkeppell wrote:I found this helpful information on another website and am sharing here.

To test voice quality dial the echo back number 909-390-0003

Note: It may not ring, and no one says hello. Just wait a few seconds for it to connect, then talk and it will echo back your voice.


Confirming:

Ooma Hub 470ms
AT&T Blackberry Bold 560ms
AT&T iPhone 3G 550ms
Ooma iPhone app via WiFi 470ms
Ooma iPhone app via 3G 900ms

I see no issues as long as Ooma delay is cellphone like or better.
#69205 by aderyn
Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:41 am
I have this same issue, and Ooma did respond to my support request. Their response acknowledged that it was a known issue and they hoped users would continue to provide feedback so they could continue to try to resolve the problem.

I have had constant problems since day one (when I learned they could not port number AND could not provide a number within my calling area, despite their earlier claims to the contrary). I get the "straight to voice mail" issue, sound quality is horrific, and the delay is so bad that callers cut their calls short because we can't stand to converse while stepping all over each other.

I'm hoping Ooma will allow me to return the unit since, despite being beyond 30 days, it has not worked well since the beginning. It may just be an expensive lesson. We'll see.

The only up-side is that the service has been so consistently bad that I still haven't disconnected my regular phone line, so there will be no pain returning to my former phone service -- other than the pain I feel about being so eager to give them up and not being able to realize the dream.
#69369 by matchorno
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:33 am
subguy wrote:...you all had the flexibility to return yours for full purchase price, would you do it?

Yes. What do you have to lose if you do. You could always buy it again if you find out they fixed it. However, you have $200 to lose, if the problem isn't fixed any time soon. I bought the telo quite a while back (well over 30 days ago). I kept on procrastinating setting it up. I never thought there would be any problem with it since I have a very fast internet connection. My friend has the other major voip (the one that starts with a "V"), and he has no problems with it whatsoever...and he is quite a non-tech person.

I figured ooma was just the same idea, but with a cheaper price tag. Yes, the initial cost was more, but it seemed a no-brainer as you quickly recoup the cost. Well...I finally got around to hooking it up and noticed a very long audio delay right away which makes it impossible to use.

I requested support a week ago. My support ticket was bumped up to a "specialist" after trying all the regular fixes. Well, to say the least, I haven't heard from the "specialist" yet. Not even a reasurring message that they were working on the problem or that it could be fixed. My guess is that there is no fix for this now or in the foreseeable future. At least I haven't heard of anyone who had this problem and it went away. I'm kicking myself now for not setting it up earlier so I could have returned it.

So I figured...well, at least I could sell it on eBay. Well, I discovered that there is an expensive charge (i think around $80) for someone to reactivate a unit that was previously activated. What gives with that? So that means, even though it is practically brand new and never used...it has still been activated. So I figure the most I could sell it for is $120, since a new one is $200. That means I am out at LEAST $80.

I am going to hold out maybe one more week and will check back here to see if it gets fixed. I'll also let you know if I hear anything from the specialist who is handling my support ticket. But if nothing by then...ebay here i come. At least I can recoup some of the money. I am looking at the other major voip as I haven't heard of them as having as many problems. Too bad they are more expensive. But I think they are a little more established and it's still quite cheaper than regular service.
#69370 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:50 am
matchorno wrote:
subguy wrote:...you all had the flexibility to return yours for full purchase price, would you do it?

Yes. What do you have to lose if you do. You could always buy it again if you find out they fixed it. However, you have $200 to lose, if the problem isn't fixed any time soon. I bought the telo quite a while back (well over 30 days ago). I kept on procrastinating setting it up. I never thought there would be any problem with it since I have a very fast internet connection. My friend has the other major voip (the one that starts with a "V"), and he has no problems with it whatsoever...and he is quite a non-tech person.

I figured ooma was just the same idea, but with a cheaper price tag. Yes, the initial cost was more, but it seemed a no-brainer as you quickly recoup the cost. Well...I finally got around to hooking it up and noticed a very long audio delay right away which makes it impossible to use.

I requested support a week ago. My support ticket was bumped up to a "specialist" after trying all the regular fixes. Well, to say the least, I haven't heard from the "specialist" yet. Not even a reasurring message that they were working on the problem or that it could be fixed. My guess is that there is no fix for this now or in the foreseeable future. At least I haven't heard of anyone who had this problem and it went away. I'm kicking myself now for not setting it up earlier so I could have returned it.

So I figured...well, at least I could sell it on eBay. Well, I discovered that there is an expensive charge (i think around $80) for someone to reactivate a unit that was previously activated. What gives with that? So that means, even though it is practically brand new and never used...it has still been activated. So I figure the most I could sell it for is $120, since a new one is $200. That means I am out at LEAST $80.

I am going to hold out maybe one more week and will check back here to see if it gets fixed. I'll also let you know if I hear anything from the specialist who is handling my support ticket. But if nothing by then...ebay here i come. At least I can recoup some of the money. I am looking at the other major voip as I haven't heard of them as having as many problems. Too bad they are more expensive. But I think they are a little more established and it's still quite cheaper than regular service.

Holy cow! What kind of internet gives you 250+ Mbps up/down? You have T4 hooked up at home?

Download speed: 251617544 bps
Upload speed: 262778960 bps

Have you gotten around to doing delay measurement using this method? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

matchorno wrote:I sent an email to support already as I am worried since I am in the porting phase. I don't want to lose my phone carrier and/or phone number if the ooma isn't going to work out. A summary of our email exchange is below

Code: Select allMay we know if this is happening to all of your calls inbound and outbound?
- I can only make outbound calls right now.  My number is in the process of being ported so I can’t receive calls yet.

Are you using the Telo Handset? What type of phone are you using, corded or cordless?
- I am using a vTech (Dect 6.0) cordless phone.

Since you are already familiar on how to configure the QoS, kindly change the value of your upstream to "0". Make sure that the downstream is also set to "0" and then click update. Kindly reboot your Ooma device by unplugging the power adapter. Leave it unplugged for at least 2-3 minutes and plug it back again for changes to take effect.
- I tried this to no avail.  Still have the same issue.

You may also check this site, mailto:www.myvoipspeed@visualware.com so that we can test the disturbance on the line. Please provide us jitter sample, packet loss and the ping. Jitter and packet loss causes delay on the line. A good jitter should not be more than 4.9 ms. For packet loss, it should always be at 0% range.

I did the test you recommended from www.myvoipspeed.  There were numerous tests for MyVoip (G.711 | G.729 | G.723.1 | G.726 | G.728 | Multiple Lines | Concise)
I tried all of them and got the results listed below:

The jitter: you—>server was always 0.0 ms
The jitter: server—>you ranged between 1.7 – 2.9 ms
The Packet loss was always 0.0 %.

I didn’t see any results numbers for “ping”.  I didn’t know how to test for that (there are multiple tests available), so I ran one for “Application Speed”

The results for the MyVoip tests and Application Speed test are shown below.
(By the way, the website you referred me to was an email address: mailto:www.myvoipspeed@visualware.com )  I figured you meant the website (www.myvoipspeed.com)

Please let me know how to proceed to remedy this problem.

Thanks
___________________________________________________________________________

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 251617544 bps
Upload speed: 262778960 bps
Download consistency of service: 91 %
Upload consistency of service: 95 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 15 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 1 ms
Average round trip time to server: 1 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 312000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.2399771
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 524280000bps

What do you mean by "can't receive calls yet?"
#69397 by matchorno
Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm
lbmofo wrote:Holy cow! What kind of internet gives you 250+ Mbps up/down? You have T4 hooked up at home?
Download speed: 251617544 bps
Upload speed: 262778960 bps


hmm...you know....I didn't even notice that. Funny you saw that. There has to be something wrong with that test, because I have nowhere near that amount of speed. When I do a speedtest.net test, I get 16.75 Mb/s download and 5.10 Mb/s upload. Like I said, nowhere near those posted results...however, I do think what I have should be sufficient for a good working voip experience. Not quite sure what's going on there with http://www.myvoipspeed.com's test.

Have you gotten around to doing delay measurement using this method? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

No, not yet. I don't know what that will accomplish. In a way, I don't really care what the test will show. I'm more interested in real world performance. That's what really matters to me at least. If doing the test would somehow help to fix the problem, I'd be all for it. Maybe I'm missing something. Please don't think I'm trying to be sarcastic or anything. I'm just sincerely not sure what can be accomplished by the test to fix the problem.

What do you mean by "can't receive calls yet?"

My number wasn't ported yet at the time I posted that comment. I don't believe you can receive calls on the ooma until your number is ported to their service. However, I was able to make calls.
#69403 by matchorno
Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 pm
***WARNING***
Be careful to NOT even BEGIN to port your number until you are absolutely sure you are happy with their service. As you can see in my posts above, I have been having chronic problems with audio delay that hasn't been resolved as of yet. Well, I didn't foresee that when I first activated my account. I ass-u-me-d that it would work so I happily requested my current number to be ported from my current service provider. Well...I got screwed out of my $40 fee. Here is a summary of my nightmare experience with both ooma and verizon...

1. Submitted request for porting.
2. Have audio delay problems.
3. Contacted ooma a solid week before porting was to be completed in order to freeze and/or cancel porting since I don't want to lose my number/current phone service if the ooma problem wouldn't be fixed.
4. They said they would process my request.
5. Some days later I contacted them again, asking how my cancel request was coming since I hadn't heard anything.
6. They tell me that they can't cancel it since it has already been initiated. They told me I had to contact Verizon and get them to cancel it...to ask them for a "snapback".
7. I call Verizon yesterday, they tell me that to do that, I need to call their "winback" department tomorrow (which is today) to do that. Note: at this point, it is getting late in the process as porting was scheduled for today (Friday)
8. I call Verizon this morning as told by their rep yesterday.
9. Except they tell me that since the number hasn't been ported yet, I have to call Ooma to cancel. So now each service is telling me to call the other one.
10. So I call ooma earlier today to request once again to cancel, as instructed by Verizon.
11. The ooma guy there tells me everything's o.k., it's already been canceled. I asked him about the $40 fee to port. He tells me, yes, that will be credited back to my credit card since the porting was canceled.
12. I get home after work today and see an email in my inbox saying, "congratulations, your number has been ported". Note: the timestamp was well after the time I called them (when they had told me it was canceled).
13. I call ooma, tell them what happened...asking what's the deal...was it canceled or not?
14. They tell me no, my number was ported.
15. He reads all the case notes, my record of emails and phone calls, apologizes and says, "let me see what I can do for you".
16. Puts me on hold for 5 minutes, comes back and says, it's too late to get my money back since the $40 was charged already when the number was ported. HUH!?!?!?
17. I tell him that the guy told me it was already canceled...he basically says(my words, not his) "too bad, he was lying to you...you're screwed and we won't budge an inch..."even though I understand...sorry I couldn't help you".

How's that for customer service.

uGGHHHH

The moral of the lesson here...do NOT even initiate the porting of your number unless you are dead sure you want to keep it. Because nothing can stop that roll down the mountain once it begins. ooma screwed me over.
#69414 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:59 pm
Like I said in another thread...the good news is that if you port out, it will be free. The bad news is you'll be paying through your nose month after month for services.

matchorno wrote:hmm...you know....I didn't even notice that. Funny you saw that. There has to be something wrong with that test, because I have nowhere near that amount of speed. When I do a speedtest.net test, I get 16.75 Mb/s download and 5.10 Mb/s upload. Like I said, nowhere near those posted results...however, I do think what I have should be sufficient for a good working voip experience. Not quite sure what's going on there with http://www.myvoipspeed.com's test.

Use this test site instead: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
You can copy the results text in the "advanced" tab

matchorno wrote:No, not yet. I don't know what that will accomplish. In a way, I don't really care what the test will show. I'm more interested in real world performance. That's what really matters to me at least. If doing the test would somehow help to fix the problem, I'd be all for it. Maybe I'm missing something. Please don't think I'm trying to be sarcastic or anything. I'm just sincerely not sure what can be accomplished by the test to fix the problem.

This delay test can tell you how many milliseconds of delay you are experiencing to this one test number. I am curious as to what you get. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

I am getting better numbers than my cell phones so I am entirely okay with what I am getting.

Ooma Hub 470ms
AT&T Blackberry Bold 560ms
AT&T iPhone 3G 550ms
Ooma iPhone app via WiFi 470ms
Ooma iPhone app via 3G 900ms

matchorno wrote:My number wasn't ported yet at the time I posted that comment. I don't believe you can receive calls on the ooma until your number is ported to their service. However, I was able to make calls.

Did you get a temp number assigned by Ooma? If so, your phones better have rung when someone called that number. Even if you were in landline integration mode (if you fed your landline dialtone to Ooma "wall" port), your phone attached to Ooma should have rung when someone called your landline number.
#69425 by subguy
Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:33 pm
Thanks for the feedback on my decision. I think I'll go ahead and return it tomorrow. I just tested it again just to make sure, and the delay tonight was around 750 - 800 ms. GARBAGE. Gonna go to BB tomorrow and get my $200 back for this Telo! It's too bad.

Seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable VOIP folks on this thread, what would y'all recommend instead? I had looked at getting a Cisco SPA2102, and then shopping around for a VOIP like Callcentric. I'm a bit hesitant however due to the fact that I think I'll be paying probably $10 - $20 a month for that (which is what I was trying to avoid with Ooma). Any magic bullet solutions out there?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests