This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#66263 by Mrjohnc1
Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:34 am
So what handsets are HD compatible? I do have 1 ooma telo handset, but my other phones are panasonic dect 6 phones.

The press release states.....An Ooma Telo Handset or HD compatible telephone is required to support Ooma HD Voice.

Picking up the phone is a great way of keeping in touch, but the tinny sound of your loved ones’ voices can serve as a reminder of how far away they really are.

Ever wondered what it would be like to make a phone call in high-definition voice technology? Well, now you don’t have to wonder any longer – today, Ooma Telo customers can! Ooma is very proud to announce that the company has begun rolling out High-Definition (HD) Voice, the latest component of Ooma PureVoice™, to all Ooma Telo customers. This announcement also marks a new industry standard for sound quality, and highlights the first time consumers can enjoy phone calls in HD.

When compared to other conventional telephones, HDVoice doubles the audio frequencies transmitted to deliver a richer, more natural sounding conversation to calls between Ooma Telo customers. An Ooma Telo Handset or HD compatible telephone is required to support Ooma HD Voice.

For more information and to listen to the difference of calling with Ooma PureVoice HD Technology versus other services, go to https://www.ooma.com/.
#66285 by Dennis P
Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:04 am
Unfortunately, most cordless phones will not be HD-capable. They filter out and compress the voice signal as it goes across the cordless radio link, so you won't see a significant improvement.

Corded phones have a good chance of being HD-capable though. Even if they don't have the full resolution of the Ooma Telo Handset, most do not filter out any frequencies and calls should sound noticeably better.

You'll still get the best HD experience with an Ooma Telo Handset.
#66422 by RxTx
Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:04 pm
Hi,

How do I enable HD voice? Currently the voice quality on my Ooma Telo handset is fair to poor, muffled sounding voice. Hopefully HD voice will improve the Telo hand set quality. No echo or delay problems, though. Always asking "say again" or "what"? I do not have this problem with my portable handset or wired phone. Even PC to PC Skype video calls through Ooma Telo sounds great. I believe Ooma reserves some up-stream spectrum for it's own use, there by reducing the PC up-stream speed.

My DSL upload speed is 0.43 Mb/s download speed is 5.08 Mb/s, depending on the speed test web site. As recommended, the Ooma Telo is connected directly to the DSL modem.

Also, how do I check the software version?

Thanks.
#66426 by murphy
Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:12 am
The software version is in the Information screen of the Telo handset.
#66561 by cmeisel
Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:27 am
Rather than stating that most handseats are not HD capable it would be much more helpful if Ooma would provide a list of current models that do support it and update this list as it grows (hopefully).
I found one that seems to support HD called Philips Dect 6.0 HD but I don't know if this is supported by Ooma.

claus
#66569 by matt331
Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:02 pm
I second your comment claus - don't tell me most aren't compatible and then provide no way to tell if a handset is or is not compatible...short of telling me to buy more telo handsets!
#66582 by cmeisel
Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:02 pm
I hope ooma will create a new handset. The one that comes with the telo is (excuse my language) a piece of junk. It is uncomfortable to hold, freezes, has a terrible display and a none existing battery life. A good example on how not to design a product. Nice telo, terrible handset and no more scout which means no real second phone line. Somebody feel asleep at the wheel here and I am disappointed to see no movement to change this.
#74676 by ernieb
Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:43 pm
Bump. I'm curious about this as well. I don't require the Telo handset features other than PureVoice and it would be nice to see what generic cordless phones are supported.
#74712 by Davesworld
Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:26 am
ernieb wrote:Bump. I'm curious about this as well. I don't require the Telo handset features other than PureVoice and it would be nice to see what generic cordless phones are supported.

Most cordless DECT 6 phones use the g.726 codec between the base and the handset. HD Voice (g.722) would be impossible over such a system. Yet to be tested by Ooma is a cat-IQ compliant (uses the g.722 codec rather than g.726) DECT 6 system, specifically something like the Siemens SL785 which is an analog base and SL78H handset. I do know for a fact that the SL78H handset supports g.722 when connected to any of the IP gigaset bases and some high end desk phones such as the soon to be released DX800A (Enthusiasm, plug unintentional) which supports VOIP, ISDN, and one POTS line and can support four calls simultaneously on four SL78H or other compatible handsets. I also know that the SL785 base is touted as supporting HSP audio and is cat-IQ compliant but a test is needed to confirm. The base is POTS only.