This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#65587 by bbgarnett
Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:56 pm
Hey,

Well I am still having call quality problems I ran another test and everything was good except quality of service. Here are my results. I mean I was just on the phone and I couldn't really understand a word the lady was saying it was all broken sound and choppy and was really frustrating and annoying. I mean my service has usually been good but recently it's been worse and lots of complaints of broken sound/choppiness whatever you want to call it. So what can I do to fix this problem. My setup

Comcast 6 Mbps speed,
Uniden DECT 6.0 phones

Modem to Telo to internet port on back of Router and then from my Uniden DECT 6.0 phones to Telo.

Also I don't know about QOS or how to change or set that up properly so that I get good quality of service if any of you say to change the QOS or whatever could you please explain how to for me.

Thanks

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4969040 bps
Upload speed: 1915240 bps
Download quality of service: 52 %
Upload quality of service: 94 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 295 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 82 ms
Average round trip time to server: 84 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 32000000bps
Route concurrency: 6.4398756
Download TCP forced idle: 80 %
Maximum route speed: 6393656bps

Well I just tested again and now my results are like this, I haven't changed anything or done anything just tried it like 5-10 minutes later so why are my results particularly the download and upload QOS have flopped so now download QOS is good but Upload isn't I mean why is this happening or changing.

Thanks,

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5633568 bps
Upload speed: 1510488 bps
Download quality of service: 89 %
Upload quality of service: 40 %
Maximum TCP delay: 229 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 83 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 36000000bps
Route concurrency: 6.3902664
Download TCP forced idle: 83 %
Maximum route speed: 6316624bps

Well I ran a third test another 10 mins or so after the second and my results are this, so the third time the results are quite good and so why are my results fluctuating or changing a good amount each time and is there something I can do to make my Quality of service Good and not sometimes good and sometimes bad or what.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.3 ms
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5341552 bps
Upload speed: 1854688 bps
Download quality of service: 88 %
Upload quality of service: 84 %
Maximum TCP delay: 266 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 83 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 38400000bps
Route concurrency: 7.188922
Download TCP forced idle: 84 %
Maximum route speed: 6316624bps
#65588 by Nat Ray
Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:46 pm
bbgarnett wrote:Well I am still having call quality problems . . .

Reference your first post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9441

Best regards,
Nat Ray :cool:
#65589 by bbgarnett
Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm
Nat Ray wrote:
bbgarnett wrote:Well I am still having call quality problems . . .

Reference your first post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9441

Best regards,

OK then how would I go about doing this

As a router/switch, the Ooma Telo sucks! If your router supports QoS, I would strongly recommend that you configure the Telo after the router and use the router’s QoS to prioritize the Telo’s traffic before any other.

What do you mean configure the Telo after the router and use the router’s QoS to prioritize the Telo’s traffic before any other.
I am new at this and don't know how to do this or what to do so if you could possibly explain it would help alot,

I mean right now QoS is disabled in my router so should I enable it or what should I do.

Thanks,
#65590 by Nat Ray
Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:12 pm
bbgarnett wrote:I am new at this and don't know how to do this or what to do so if you could possibly explain it would help alot . . .

OK, let's get started . . . First things first . . . Break out the Quick Start Guide that came with the Telo. It outlines two options to setup the Telo with your router. Currently you have the Telo in front of the router, option #1. We are going to use option #2.

When you have completed, and tested this, hit me back and we will continue . . .

Best regards,
#65592 by bbgarnett
Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 pm
Nat Ray wrote:
bbgarnett wrote:I am new at this and don't know how to do this or what to do so if you could possibly explain it would help alot . . .

OK, let's get started . . . First things first . . . Break out the Quick Start Guide that came with the Telo. It outlines two options to setup the Telo with your router. Currently you have the Telo in front of the router, option #1. We are going to use option #2.

When you have completed, and tested this, hit me back and we will continue . . .

Best regards,

So even though my router and modem are separate you want me to connect directly to the modem and skip the router using Option 2B on the quick start guide.
#65594 by Nat Ray
Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:46 pm
bbgarnett wrote:So even though my router and modem are separate you want me to connect directly to the modem and skip the router

Negative . . . Your Modem will be connected to your router's Internet Port, and the Telo's Internet Port will be connected to one or the router's LAN Ports. The Telo's Home Port will remain empty. Your phone will be attached to the Telo's Phone Port. The Telo's Wall Port will be empty . . .

Best regards,
#65596 by bbgarnett
Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:14 pm
Hey,

OK I did that and now only one of my computers has internet there are two PC's in the room I am in and they are both connected to to the Router but only one is getting internet. Is the becuase I have nothing plugged into the Home network port on the Telo. I don't think that should be causing one of the PC's to not have internet but maybe. Anyways I did what you said so I have it from the Modem to my router internet port and my Telo internet port to one of my LAN ports on the router and my phone to the Telo's phone port.
#65597 by murphy
Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:16 pm
Temporarily connect a computer to the Ooma Home port and verify that you have it set to use the built in MAC address.
#65598 by bbgarnett
Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:18 pm
OK Also note that on the other computer it it saying it's connected but when I am trying to go to yahoo or google or whatever I get nothing I have tried on both IE and Firefox and speed is 100 Mbps.