This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#65053 by wazoo
Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:24 pm
Hey all,

I'm fortunate in the fact that the Ooma is working general great for me. I get crystal clear conversation with no problems.

However.... I've been doing a bit of stress testing and have hit a snag. I have a cable connection that get about 25mbps on the downstream and 2.5mbps on the upstream. I've set the QoS options on the Ooma to reflect 2000kps on upstream and 25000kps.

I called my Ooma from my cell phone to test the connection during a simultaneous large file download. During the download, the upstream connection (i.e. speaking into my cell phone and listening to my Ooma connected home phone) was flawless. No delay. No stuttering. However, the reverse was not true. The delay from me speaking into my cell and hearing it on my home phone was a good four seconds. It also, occasionally drop out in the middle of a sentence.

The Ooma sits between my cable modem and my router. Shouldn't my Ooma make all incoming voice packets the priority even if I am maxing out the downstream receiving a file?

Thanks for any help on this.
#65055 by roadshow
Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:59 pm
Maybe try lowering the QOS Upstream setting a bit on the OOMA. The upstream bandwidth may not always be as good as you speed test. Mine flucuates quite a bit. I would to a test by setting the Upstream QOS to 1500 and see it it helps. Then slowly increase it until you find a happy medium. Hope that helps.
#65056 by wazoo
Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:04 pm
roadshow wrote:Maybe try lowering the QOS Upstream setting a bit on the OOMA. The upstream bandwidth may not always be as good as you speed test. Mine flucuates quite a bit. I would to a test by setting the Upstream QOS to 1500 and see it it helps. Then slowly increase it until you find a happy medium. Hope that helps.

Do you mean adjust the downstream instead of upstream? I'm getting the problem on incoming voice being delayed, not outgoing.

In addition, I'm not sure if I fully understand the way the QoS settings relate to "reserved" bandwidth. Does the number entered set aside a specific % of bandwidth for the Ooma?
#65058 by murphy
Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:44 pm
wazoo wrote:In addition, I'm not sure if I fully understand the way the QoS settings relate to "reserved" bandwidth. Does the number entered set aside a specific % of bandwidth for the Ooma?

The number is meant to tell Ooma what your speed is so it will know to throttle the connection.
With the speeds that you have QOS should not be necessary. Ooma only uses about 215 K. Set both numbers to 0 to disable QOS and see how that works.