This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#64758 by bobosquish
Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:45 pm
Initially, Ooma call quality was great - while we had an Ooma-generated number. We used it for months and the wife (who works from home) approved a full switchover. We had our number (703-443-xxxx) ported in August (after months of Ooma dropping the ball on that) and since then the call quality is really bad. My wife complains of dropped calls and CB-radio quality voice, especially on conference call-ins for work! Here are the stats from the voip test:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 10030832 bps
Upload speed: 7145280 bps
Download quality of service: 73 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 59 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 82 ms
Average round trip time to server: 83 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 70400000bps
Route concurrency: 7.018361
Download TCP forced idle: 91 %
Maximum route speed: --

Please help or she may string me up!
#64759 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:03 pm
What changed since your number has ported?

Is your phone connected directly to the ooma device?

Are you distributing dialtone to your house wiring? If so, did you disconnect the telephone company from the NIB outside the house? Try phone calls with phone directly connected to ooma?

Is your ooma between the modem and the router? If so, did you setup QoS?

While on the phone, are you running file sharing, P2P applications, or large downloads?
#64822 by bobosquish
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:33 am
I am distributing dialtone to my house wiring. Yes, I disconnected the telephone company from the house wiring.

The modem/router is an all-in-one (Verizon FIOS ActionTec).

We do not do file sharing or P2P. We have 25 Mbps/5 Mbps service.
#65357 by bobosquish
Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:52 pm
Still no solution and my wife is screaming about it. We have 25/25 service from Verizon FIOS. Ooma call quality has progressively gotten worse. I posted my stats from speed test and still no help.
#65359 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:10 pm
Are you having the same voice quality issues when the phone is directly connected to your ooma device?
#65514 by bobosquish
Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:51 pm
Are you having the same voice quality issues when the phone is directly connected to your ooma device?

The setup has been the same - ooma drives house wiring - before and after the number port. The ooma is in the basement, my wife's office upstairs. If I connect directly to the ooma and don't drive the house wiring, I will have only one phone line. The quality is not so consistently bad that I can just try it once with a phone connected directly and say "okay, it's good." It often seems fine when I test it, only to have the wife later complain when I come home from work that it was bad all day.

I did reset everything and I haven't heard complaints since, but I don't know if she just hasn't been on the phone as much.