This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#64200 by bmccollum
Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:24 pm
My parents have AT&T Fast Access DSL 6.0 Extreme. Quality of the calls via their Ooma Telo is GREAT (voice-wise and clarity-wise). The voice lag / latency is awful... 1/2-seconds lag or greater.

They have the Ooma Telo connected directly to an integrated 2wire 2701HG-B DSL modem / router.

I tried over the weekend taking the 2wire integrated modem / router out of the picture and instead using a Motorola/Netopia 2210 stand-alone DSL modem. Connected the Ooma Telo directly to the modem. No difference in the voice lag with that device and possibly even worse.

Any opinions as to whether I should purchase and try a highly-rated ActionTec GT701D stand-alone DSL modem via Best Buy, connect the Ooma Telo to that modem, and see if the voice lag / latency improves?

Anyone else out there using the ActionTec GT701D DSL modem with an Ooma Telo and getting great Ooma Telo calls via that arrangement?

Latency when my parents make calls via the Ooma Telo is pretty atrocious and it's very difficult for them to speak to the other party w/o both sides of the conversation stepping all over one another due to the lag / latency.

Thanks...
#64213 by donl1133
Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:46 pm
bmccollum;
Don't waste your money on a new modem. I did just that with that very modem and it made no difference in the voice lag that I continnully experince. I do have a slower DSL service, also from AT&T, but other than the lag/latency I am OK with the service. This seems to be a problem within the Ooma system, as many others are also having voice lag problems. Hope they can get this corrected soon.
#64219 by murphy
Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:54 pm
donl1133 wrote:bmccollum;
Don't waste your money on a new modem. I did just that with that very modem and it made no difference in the voice lag that I continnully experince. I do have a slower DSL service, also from AT&T, but other than the lag/latency I am OK with the service. This seems to be a problem within the Ooma system, as many others are also having voice lag problems. Hope they can get this corrected soon.

My guess is that the way the low tier internet service is created is that they drop packets to keep the overall throughput down. That will seriously impact VOIP.
#64231 by bmccollum
Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 pm
murphy wrote:
donl1133 wrote:bmccollum;

My guess is that the way the low tier internet service is created is that they drop packets to keep the overall throughput down. That will seriously impact VOIP.

My parents don't have the low-tier DSL service... they have the highest residential tier available...
#64236 by WayneDsr
Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:18 pm
Try doing a voip test and post the results.
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

I had some issues with my AT&T DSL and it was due to wiring problems in my neighborhood.
There were some bad (wet) connections in a box that serves our neighborhood and some long runs of phone cable to nowhere.
I called their internet tech line and had them run a line test. They saw some issues and sent out a service tech.

I would also try connecting a long phone wire from your modem straight to your TELCO box outside if possible. This will disconnect the house wiring from the picture. If you test your phone and it still has an issue you know it's not your house wiring. When speaking to AT&T's tech's you can tell them you tested from the DMARK, eliminating your responsibility. ( interior house wiring).

Cleaning up the wiring problems fixed all my issues.

Edit: I have the same 6.0 service and have 2 ooma units that would great. No voice lag at all.
Wayne