This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#64178 by sr521
Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:22 am
My Ooma call quality using a hub has never been great, but acceptable. After my initial purchase, it took several months of working with customer service to return my Ooma unit and get a replacement which was somewhat better. I went to all the trouble of trying the unit with a completely different ISP provider in a different metropolitan area to rule out everything but the Ooma hub. It wasn't a hard failure, but just trouble with the voice quality. With the replacement unit, things were much better, but not great. Acceptable, but nowhere the quality of landline.

Within the last couple of weeks, the voice quality of my calls have gone down dramatically. I get echoes of myself, breaking up of the voice, tinny or hollow sounding voices, etc. A couple of times, the phone doesn't even ring (call doesn't go through) when I call the number until I hang up and redial and then everything is fine.

It's getting close to unusable so I would appreciate any help and suggestions. Here are my stats:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2505832 bps
Upload speed: 438264 bps
Download quality of service: 88 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 176 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 25 ms
Average round trip time to server: 48 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2560000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0216168
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 20971200bps
#64194 by sean
Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:00 pm
our phones worked for months just fine. but the past week or so has gone way down hill. i have an Ooma Telo Handset and also a set of VTech phones, but switching from the Telo the VTech does nothing to improve things. i think every time lately we've been on a call we've had to fight the poor quality enough to let the other person know we'll call them back on our cell phone. if that doesn't work because of the poor and choppy quality then we'll just hang up and call them from a cell phone.

what's going on?

i am not sure where to get the detailed stats the OP used, but i have the fast Comcast service and i tend to get between 12 - 20 Mbps down and it looks like between 500 Kbps - 2 Mbps up (not great at the low end).
#64244 by sr521
Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:41 pm
The problem seems to be getting worse. Today I had a number of calls I tried to make where there was no ring (the call wouldn't complete). I called customer support and they said they would have to investigate further as they see no record of the call being made so they have to look at other data logs.

On another call, I could not hear the person answering at all and I just had dead silence. When I called back on another phone, they said they had answered my call and said hello a few times, but heard nothing back.

Much of this seems to be consistent with other recent posts...
#64297 by jhphone
Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 pm
Call quality is really bad. If I knew then what I know now ... there'd be no Ooma for me.

Two problems.

Call delay is way unreasonable. It's like talking to Apollo astronauts on the moon. Well, not quite that bad but it's the worst phone service I have ever experienced. You can test delay using this echo-back number: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2814

Half Duplex Transmission Every time I talk the other person's voice cuts out. It's like CB radio in the 60s.

Horrible.