This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#63354 by txsunshine
Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:28 pm
We've had numerous VOIP services and I haven't been that happy with any of them quality-wise. Ooma is even worse though. I have the hub and it is plugged in to the modem and the hub is then plugged into my router. I have Comcast cable internet. I have had Ooma for a couple of months and never had very good calls. I get echoing, it cuts out so the other people can't hear me and I can't hear them, and the past couple of days, when the phone rings, I push the button to answer it and I can hear something on the other end but the call is not actually answered. I know this for sure because I have it set to ring to my cell at the same time and my cell keeps ringing until I give up on my ooma line and answer it. I can take the call on my cell phone fine, but the home line won't answer. This just started the past couple of days. Also, I had the phone lines unplugged at the box so we could use the house wiring for the VOIP. Should I leave it the same for Ooma or plug those back in? I didn't know if that had anything to do with all the problems or not. I'm ready to throw the Ooma hub in the trash because it's so unreliable. Here are the results from my VoIP speed test:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 8515504 bps
Upload speed: 2575624 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 49 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 52 ms
Average round trip time to server: 55 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 2.7244425
Download TCP forced idle: 60 %
Maximum route speed: 10082304bps

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
#63377 by jkunysz
Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:17 pm
similar problems. I'm business traveling right now so can't post speed test numbers but they appear generally in the 'acceptable' to 'good' levels. At times the jitter is over 4, but infrequently. My wife is unhappy, and that is not a good thing.

I have received sporadic service quality where I have received dropped calls, unclear voice quality, one-way communication only calls. I have been through the qos recommendations and set the qos upstream internet speed to 'around' 380 as that was what my speed tests indicated, have connected the ooma hub into my cable modem ethernet port so it is the first in line connection .

I do not have qos settings on my dlink wireless router. Can you provide more recommendations on how to improve my voice quality?

Jim
#63453 by Nat Ray
Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:06 pm
jkunysz wrote:I do not have qos settings on my dlink wireless router. Can you provide more recommendations on how to improve my voice quality?

Ooma's Telo is great at it's primary function, Voice Over IP, but sucks as a router. The Telo's implementation of QoS is subpar when compared to dedicated routers, whose feature set includes Quality of Service. Strongly suggest investigating Netgear's RangeMax WNDR3700 . . .

http://www.netgear.com/products/home/wi ... R3700.aspx
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... stb2xsSDhr
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8921

Best regards,
Nat Ray :cool: