This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#62878 by rsg
Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:43 pm
We have the telo handset in the kitchen about 40' or so from the Telo, located in our ofice. The quality is generally marginal in the kitchen and noticeably better when we move closer to the Telo, but that sort of negates the point of the cordless handset. I'm wondering what to try to improve things.

In reading the telo handset manual again, it cautions against having the telo too close to devices that might interfere, such as wireless systems. Well...the telo sits right alongside my U-Verse RG router/modem, and is configured downstream of it. It has a powerful wireless signal that I use throughout the house for my laptops. There is also an older Panasonic DECT6 cordless base station in the kitchen which we end up using mostly because the telo handset is not as good quality sound.

Has anyone experimented or can recommend how far is "not too close" to move the telo from the router? Obviously they have to be connected but before I start stringing cable around my office, I thought I'd ask for advice. Also, any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
#62880 by Leeway
Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:22 pm
Not much help from here but I have U-Verse and I have the RG on a shelf under that goes down one side of my computer desk. My Telo basically is sitting right on top of the desk just above my U-Verse RG. I have no problems using either the Telo handsets or my Panasonics elsewhere in my house.

The RG and my Telo are less than 2 feet apart, Telo above the RG. No problems here.

Donna
#62881 by Davesworld
Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:45 pm
The two are not even close in frequency used, not even close to being adjacent. 1.9ghz versus 2.4. This is exactly one of the things that DECT was supposed to alleviate by the frequency choice. Any range issue is caused by distance plus obstructions.
#62885 by murphy
Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:15 am
The router is not a problem but the Panasonic DECT 6 base is. Keep the handset as far from it as you can.
#62893 by wpwood3
Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:37 am
A couple of thoughts...

I have an old GE wired phone with speakerphone. I found that if it was located within a few inches of my Ooma Telo that I would get noise on all handsets connected to the Telo...including the Telo Handset. As soon as I moved the old phone away from the Telo or disconnected it entirely, all of the noise disappeared.
Be careful what you place near your Telo because it might cause problems.

The range on my Telo Handset is pretty good. Although the Telo is located in my basement office, the Telo Handset works fine all the way out at our mailbox on the street in front of our house. This was not true when I had the Telo located near some other electronic devices in my office.

All that being said, I find the Telo Handset call quality is not quite as good as my Panasonic Dect-6+ phones.
#62950 by rsg
Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:35 pm
Leesway, Davesworld, Murphy and wpwood3:
Thank you all for the helpful ideas. Next to my telo, I have the U-Verse RG, my lcd monitor and laptop (usually w/o wireless on), a phone plugged into a splitter on the back end of the telo (with other wire feeding the whole house). Not much noise there other than the UVERSE RG, and apparently with a 500 MHz separation according to Davesworld.

I will first try separating the telo handset from the Panasonic base station even more...currently about 14'... also I'll see if I can fiddle with channels on the Panasonic (not sure if possible) to provide some more frequency band separation. I certainly cannot use the Telo handset at my mailbox, probably 50' through a wall from the Telo...but my original concern isn't range so much as noise and voice quality. I believe that this telo handset is a marginal piece of work compared to most dect 6 handsets out there -- despite your opinions otherwise, but that makes optimizing its configuration even more important.

Other ideas, I'm "all ears". Thank you.
#62989 by Leeway
Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:42 am
Well here's a thought. I don't have any phone plugged into my Telo at all.

I simply have the Telo going to the wall jack. I have one of my handsets plugged into just an electrical outlet on a cabinet next to the desk. I have my Panasonic base in the kitchen/family room area. Try taking the splitter out and just plug your Telo into the wall jack. If that works, just use a separate handset in a electric plug in the same room if you need a phone in there.

Donna