This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#62644 by e5ooma
Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 pm
Hello,

When I make a call, the first half-second of the call is cut off. This includes the person's voice, or someone's voicemail. Though it's not a HUGE issue, I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. My internet speed and line quality is very good.

I have the Ooma Telo.

Thanks.
#62652 by e5ooma
Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:28 pm
I called Ooma Support and they first had me change my QoS settings, which I had already done. He ran me through various speed tests (which I also had already done) and everything was fine.

Then, they told me to look at https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... vice-ports and contact AT&T to have them change allow these ports.

HOWEVER, I did put the ooma in the DMZPlus on my Uverse Router. I don't think anything is blocked.

Thanks for your help.
#62665 by e5ooma
Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 pm
Alright, so I called Support again. Went all the way through Level 1 (the only other thing they had me try was adjust QoS settings many times and try a different phone) and was upgraded to Level 2. I was on hold for over 2 hours and my call was dropped on their end. So I called back, told them I was on hold with Level 2, and they put me back on the queue for another half an hour and my call was dropped AGAIN. :( Now they are closed and I will be calling back in the morning.

Any suggestions out there?

Thank you.

EDIT: I saw this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1353&start=0 but it doesn't really provide a solution.
#62678 by murphy
Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:30 am
e5ooma wrote:Hello,

When I make a call, the first half-second of the call is cut off. This includes the person's voice, or someone's voicemail. Though it's not a HUGE issue, I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. My internet speed and line quality is very good.

I have the Ooma Telo.

Thanks.

Is a speakerphone being used at either end of the call?
The cheaper ones are notorious for clipping since they operate in half-duplex mode.
If both ends speak at the same time and both are on speakerphones, neither end will hear anything.
#62730 by southsound
Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:32 pm
It could actually be a problem caused by the echo suppression hardware/software that VoIP relys on to remove any echo from the call. I know that sometimes it can take a tiny amout of time to kick in. Maybe the partner that ooma is using for termination mutes the first 1/2 second while this is going on. Just a guess.
#62763 by e5ooma
Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:48 pm
southsound wrote:It could actually be a problem caused by the echo suppression hardware/software that VoIP relys on to remove any echo from the call. I know that sometimes it can take a tiny amout of time to kick in. Maybe the partner that ooma is using for termination mutes the first 1/2 second while this is going on. Just a guess.

Thank you for your reply! Do you think ooma can change this? I tried asking about this but they wouldn't say anything, yet. Currently they are running some tests. I'll keep you posted on updates.

If the issue continues, I might have to return ooma. :(
#62777 by simsicr
Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:15 am
I have been having the exact same issue and I would almost promise it started after the last code upgrade was pushed. Very annoying as prior to that the service was working very well!
#63501 by glaker
Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:14 pm
I have Uverse 2wire Gateway wireless router/modem (all in one)
I have the ooma telo.

Purchase yesterday and followed directions exactly with no sucsess. All I get is blinking red. Searched several forums that said boot and reboot to no sucsess. Let run for 24 hours still with blinking red light. I do not know how to reconfigure my uverse 2wire modem without a walk through and I received no help from att. Ooma tech support was no help either. Getting ready to return and look for alternative service. Really should not be this hard. :?:

UPDATE.........
booted and rebooted several times today. Did not want to change my firewall or anything in configuration settings...........After posting here, it went steady blue. Amazing, It is crystal clear. Goood Luck and I hope other new ooma users don't give up.