This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#62362 by czooma
Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 am
In the knowledgebase article titled "Configuring Quality of Service" it states that you should enter the numeric upstream speed result from the Internet speed test, but in the article titled "Learning more about Ooma Quality of Service" it states that you should configure your "Upstream Internet Speed" to be 15-20% less than your measured upstream bandwidth.

So my question is: shoud the number you enter be the actual measured speed, or the measured speed minus 20%?

Thanks for any help.
#62574 by czooma
Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:26 pm
OK, thanks for pointing me to the previous post.

But, as the "Learning More" article describes in the three scenarios, configuring less than the measured bandwidth would be scenario 2, which might result in unused bandwidth for non-ooma traffic...? That article seems to contradict itself, doesn't it?
#62832 by roadshow
Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:43 am
czooma wrote:OK, thanks for pointing me to the previous post.

But, as the "Learning More" article describes in the three scenarios, configuring less than the measured bandwidth would be scenario 2, which might result in unused bandwidth for non-ooma traffic...? That article seems to contradict itself, doesn't it?

My speedtest results change often. 80, then 95, etc. It's probably because I'm on a cable connection which can vary depeding on how many people in my neighborhood are using their Internet too
I think that setting the upstream to a lower number kind of gives you a buffer during the times when the connection may more congested. The QOS is only active during a phone call When you are not on the phone, your Internet will get the full upstream.
I keep the upstream 20 percent less because I want my phone connection to be as clear and consistent as possible.