This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#61898 by MartyBrown
Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:35 pm
In the last month or so, some incoming callers cannot hear me... though I can hear them. Calling ooma tech support wasn't helpful.. the technician wanted me to stop my firewall, even though my hub is connected directly to my modem. He then wanted me to go over my two year old installation. (I can always tell when technicians don't know what they're doing, because they start looking for ways to avoid answering the questions. Unfortunately, ooma's technical support has started sliding downhill.)

Has anyone else noticed the Callers Can't Hear Me syndrome?
#61920 by DTMF
Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:45 pm
Could be a bandwidth shortage on the upload side of your connection that's leaving no capacity for sending audio. Was any uploading or file-sharing happening at the time of these calls?
#62053 by MartyBrown
Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 am
"Was any uploading or file-sharing happening at the time of these calls?"

No... I've gotten used to watching my network traffic while using ooma. When I have file transferring going on, I can hear packet loss mess with the incoming voice quality.

I've got 2 mbps upload capability on my cable internet connection, which is the highest available from my provider, so I really hope this isn't the issue.
#62427 by angrysquirrel
Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:53 pm
I called ooma support and put the router behind the core. I'm still having the same problems. Person stops hearing me after a little while and they either hang up on me or the call terminates unexpectedly.

Guess I'm back to square one with this problem

Does anyone here use their ooma for business without problems? I got the core and scout. Could that be the reason why I'm having these problems? ALMOST considering going back to vonage b/c I really need something reliable. It's embarrassing being on a call with a client only to have the client stop hearing me and the call disconnects.

what should be my next step? I have something to monitor bandwith going to my computer but it won't monitor bandwith going to my ooma device. Only thing I can think of is that the upload bandwith suddenly stops. I have comcast 12mbs down and 2 up. Should be plenty.
#62429 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:07 pm
Having Core is not your issue (unless your hardware is bad); I've experienced excellent voice quality with my Core.

A family/friend had a call drop issue (no sound and call disconnects). Turns out it was the cable modem being bad; the tricky part was that the problem was intermittent. A new modem took care of his issues.

I'd suggest doing this test repeatedly to see if you catch some really bad results:

VoIP Quality Test:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.
#62502 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:33 am
angrysquirrel wrote:QOS seems to be pretty inconsistent. Jumping from 90 - 60%. I'm going to try to replace the modem and see what happens. Seems to be the easiest route to go.

From my experience, QoS varying hasn't been a problem. When the modem is bad intermittently, I'd see large jitter, significant packet loss and really long max tcp delay.
#62518 by angrysquirrel
Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 am
Thanks for continuing help lbmofo! Got your message so I haven't got the new cable modem. Ran some more test and the qos went down to as low as 40%.

I called comcast tech support to see if my modem stats were within spec. Their 800# is having problems so I couldn't reach them. I then went to comcast chat to check the stats. The rep disconnected from me. Yup. Stellar comcast service. So friendly and courteous. But I digress.

Anyway, would you happen to know if these stats are in spec or not? Here's what I have from my motorola surfboard 5100.

Downstream Value
Frequency 705000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level -7 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 32200000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 50 dBmV

Thanks!