This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#4919 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:55 am
ram102 - The look of the new Telo and phone is nice, and I doubt they'll have the same quality issues ... probably even better performance. It's also a pretty good business model ... the phones will give them another source of revenue. But personally, I like the hub and scout design, because the answering machine form factor is something I missed with vonage. That's probably just me being familiar with the old-school systems!

I hope that ooma spends some time with us to determine a fix for this issue, instead of focusing all their time on Telo ... or I guess they could always exchange our systems for a Telo with 2+ phones.
#4926 by oomg
Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:34 am
Crazypinoy9 wrote:So I was searching the web for anyone else outside of this forum that are having problems with ooma and I ran into this:

http://www.voipmechanic.com/phoneandvoicequality.htm

It's not specific to ooma but might be able to give some of you things to test and mess around with. Hope this helps someone!

The link needs to be put into a sticky so others who might not want to wade through 8-10 pages can find it. Thanks.

oomg
#4928 by Bobby B
Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:41 am
RE: this Scout Crackling issue --

So it looks like we had one other customer before who had Scout crackling issues a few months back. We tried a RMA for that Scout, but we never heard back if that actually resolved the issue. I'm not too sure if a hardware analysis was done on the returned Scout.

I'll send you a note so that we can try to figure out what to troubleshoot from here.

mthomtech wrote:
Bobby B wrote:
I'll ask some of our engineering folks to see if this issue has been encountered before.

Yes ... tested all phones, and started using a corded phone for all tests now.

Thanks for getting someone to look into it. Let us know what you find out.
#4966 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:40 pm
Thanks Bobby for the note. I've sent you the information on the latest test call that I made from the scout. Let me know what you find out.

I appreciate you jumping in here to help out!
#4973 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:25 pm
Bobby B - I sent you this in an email, but I tried another test ...

I called using the hub and talked on that phone (which was a cordless phone for this test) and talked for awhile. Then I picked up the corded phone connected to the scout, switched to line 1 to join the call, hung up the phone from the hub, and talked on the corded scout phone for awhile. Then I picked up the cordless phone connected to the hub, connected back to line 1 to join the call and talked on the hub phone while both phones were on the call. Then, finally, hung up the scout phone and just talked on the hub phone.

Results - called to listen to the voicemail for the number I called
1) Hub phone sounded clear
2) When I started talking on the scout phone, it was crackled
3) When both phones were connected, the scout phone crackled but the hub phone still sounded clear
4) Hub phone continued to sound clear when I hung up the scout phone
#4988 by Crazypinoy9
Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 pm
Well I just wanted to update you guys on my situation.

As most of you know I have the verizon fios 20/5 plan and tried setting both the ooma hub and modem/router accordingly as instructed by ooma. I've tried download ranges somewhere around 13500 to 21500 and upload ranges around 3200 to 5100.

I have read southsound's recent postings about his success in getting his call quality fixed and for shits & giggles I thought I might try his QOS settings even though it's WAY lower than what I should be entering in.

So I entered in a download of 768kb and upload of 384. Guess what? so far i've had two calls and no static or anything. WTF!? I'm at a loss for words. I really don't understand how my previous settings which were significantly higher didnt work yet these did. I'm gonna continue monitoring it and let you guys know what my results are.
#4990 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:18 pm
Sounds promising crazypinoy9.

Bobby B posted an article (also on the knowledgebase) about how the QoS works ... and it kindof makes your settings make sense. If I remember right, your in my situation and have to put the hub after your FiOS modem/router. It's possible that setting the QoS to a lower setting makes sure that the hub "knows" that the bandwidth "could" be lower to the hub a certain times. If the QoS is larger than the actual bandwidth you could get packet loss according to the aticle's information.

With your success, I'm going to give it a try too. I'll let you know. Also, Bobby B is checking a couple of my test calls for packet loss, so we'll see.

Did you change your settings on ooma, your router, or both? My Actiontec router QoS screen doesn't seem that user friendly, so I haven't messed with it.