This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#4841 by ram104
Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:52 pm
Wow. I can't believe ooma is so unhelpful. I got nowhere when calling ooma tech support and also got the answer to check out the ooma forums. What I think is they have no idea how to fix the problem. It could be as simple as a firmware update. Just look at this one post. its already into 8 pages of people with the same problem who are knowledgeable on networking setup and ooma is beating about the issue with stupid troubleshooting you give to me grandmother.
Ooma wake up!! Were done playing . Lets get down to business.
#4848 by Crazypinoy9
Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:29 pm
Customer service was very nice and willing to help me, but when it comes to answering anything technical good luck.

They even told me to try changing my ethernet cables. I was like, "SERIOUSLY?", that's your suggestion for a solution to my supposed "bandwidth issue"?.

OOMA, my entire home network is setup with Cat7 cable...that's right! CAT7!

My cables are fine.
#4850 by Timothy
Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:49 pm
Ooma's success and future is riding on this forum. Bad experiences and lack of support are simply pushing future business aside. Many are reading these forums prior to throwing a couple hundred dollars on the table to only experience issues what others are going through. I would have expected by now somebody from Ooma to jump in and begin providing intelligent assistance. It is apparent that the users here have top notch connections with there ISP not to mention upper end home wiring etc. Enough with the QOS, ISP and ethernet blame game. Ooma, simply put there is a problem with the Scout/HUB and lack of bandwidth supplied to the hardware. Not everyone on this thread has a complete understanding of the problems brought forth but the ones that do have supplied more than enough information to get started with tech support. The phone and email support have been of no help but rather more insulting. Somebody from Ooma, please either contact one of us via email, phone or begin replying with useful help please.
Last edited by Timothy on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#4851 by Crazypinoy9
Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:53 pm
Timothy wrote:Ooma's success and future is riding on this forum. Bad experiences and lack of support are simply pushing future business aside. Many are reading these forums prior to throwing a couple hundred dollars on the table to only experience issues what others are going through. I would have expected by now somebody from Ooma to jump in and begin providing intelligent assistance. It is apparent that the users here have top notch connections with there ISP not to mention upper end home wiring etc. Enough with the QOS, ISP and ethernet blame game. Ooma, simply put there is a problem with the Scout and lack of bandwidth supplied to the hardware. Not everyone on this thread has a complete understanding of the problems brought forth but the ones that do have supplied more than enough information to get started with tech support. The phone and email support have been of no help but rather more insulting. Somebody from Ooma, please either contact one of us via email, phone or begin replying with useful help please.

not just the scout, the hub needs new firmware too.
#4853 by ram104
Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:58 pm
Yes the hub also. I think the hub is the main problem the scout is just the slave.
#4856 by southsound
Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:32 pm
I had my first negative experience with an online rep last evening. During a 10 minute conversation, he said, "I understand your concern" three times. A little later, when talking with someone from upper management, he asked me if I knew the name of the person to whom I was talking. When I shared that name, he said, "You'll have to forgive XXXX. He's still really new and reading from a script.

A couple of points here. We all know that ooma tech support is overloaded. But here was a senior executive who even knew the rep's name and knew that he was new. They have done and are doing a lot of hiring - even in a down economy. That tells me something. And although some of the folks are really green, they mean well. I really do think that this new person felt bad for my situation. He just didn't know how to express it in a non-scripted form.

So bottom line, I want ooma to succeed. Even though I still don't have the "Normal telephone experience" I want, I'm here for the duration. I would like those who really hate ooma to bail now so that those of us who are willing to give this awesome company and their great technology a chance will be able to help the company succeed. And as they do, we all prosper.

No, I don't work for ooma. And I am still not totally satisfied. But if I lived withing 90 miles, was looking for a job, and knew enough to be of value to ooma, I would be beating down their doors with my resume. Of course, YMMV, but what's a raccoon to know about VOIP?
#4863 by Crazypinoy9
Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 pm
Hey I want to stick with ooma as much as the next guy. All I'm asking for is intelligent suggestions from tech support. Blaming my hardware and telling me that my upload bandwidth isn't sufficient enough even when I've exceeded all of the tests they've asked me to run is not support.

Again, I want to stick with the ooma hardware but my patience won't last forever.
#4882 by mthomtech
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:17 pm
I also wish ooma great success. All of our experiences with the product will hopefully be improved through this forum. However, I also think that in order to give their customers the great experience they expect, there should certainly be more ooma staff making solid suggestions on this forum. I expect that someone is looking into the issues, but more communication with us would be great ... and would signal great customer service to potential new customers.

Many of us have posted generous details on our setups and results from speed and quality tests. Can the ooma moderators take a more active role in responding with status and/or findings from reviewing those stats and experiences?

I do believe that the ooma staff and management want the best customer experience, and I can imagine the growing pains they are going through as the customer bas expands. I'm also sure that the new development of the Ooma Telo is taking a lot of their resources too.

Actually, my guess is that the new Telo hardware will probably eliminate the need for some of the hub/scout issues ... but they won't go away for those of us who have the current hardware.

I can see that there are a lot of customers with great quality experiences, and there are certainly a lot of possible causes of the issues - hardware, firmware, partner services, bandwith, etc. But with all the information provided from all of us, I think some more thought-out solutions are warranted.

Of course, maybe someone is waiting on Timothy, ram102, crazypinoy9, southsound and myself to solve the issue. We've made enough diagnostic progress on this forum that we are probably deserving of a consulting fee! And if we get enough of a fee, we should hire Wayne and his diagnostic tools ... surely we can solve the issue then.

Seriously though ... can the ooma mods please outline the possible issues and solutions that they believe are possible, given all of the info provided?
#4895 by ram104
Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm
Well said mthomtech. I too think that ooma is using there resources on the release of the telo that probably will solve a lot of these issues. If thats the case and when they finally release the telo what happens to the current people who purchased the current version of ooma are we left to fork over more money for a newer unit. I guess only time will tell.