This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#4767 by Bobby B
Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:54 am
WayneDsr wrote:With my router I am able to see a graph of the actual bandwidth.
Attached is a clip.
Wayne

That's pretty cool - just curious, what router are you using?
#4770 by mthomtech
Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm
Bobby B wrote:
mthomtech wrote:Myself, Timothy and ram102 all experienced more crackle from the scout. ram102 previously posted the same experience from both the hub and scout, but after unplugging everything and then setting it up and re-powering, the hub sounded better.

Does the cackle occur when you connect the Scout directly to your Hub (i.e. sit the Scout next the Hub, and connect the WALL port on both devices via a regular phone cable). If you're not hearing cackling when they're connected back to back, then there might be some interference with your home phone wiring.

Also, are you running DSL in your home?

Hey Bobby B,

I'm going to try the scout connected directly to the hub tonight and I'll report the results. I don't have DSL, I have Verizon FiOS.

Oh, and I'm also interested in Wayne's router ... I wish I could get the kind of data that he's got!
#4782 by ram104
Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:05 pm
I have my hub hooked directly to the modem with no other wires connected. I have cable modem>ooma>router. While I did notice the crackle has gotten better since I hooked up the phone directly to the hub I still have the issue, at times, people telling me I'm breaking up, but I can hear the great. I fooled around with the QoS with no luck. I am running comcast and my speeds are as followed: Image

Also when I go to whichvoip.com everything checks out green expect my quality of service. I am running a Linksys cable modem docsis 2.0 compliant. Here are the text results from whichvoip.com:Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6358592 bps
Upload speed: 2067672 bps
Quality of service: 85 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 86 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 99 ms
Average round trip time to server: 100 ms

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Number of supported VoIP lines: 35
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

I think its as to do with the way my call is routed with ooma or maybe the "adjustment pod" is what might help.
#4784 by mthomtech
Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:15 pm
Timothy - I tried your idea of a splitter before the scout. So, I had the hub's "phone" and "wall" ports go to my house wiring (which is the bedroom and office only). As I've mentioned using the hub's phone signal gives me the better quality. I had the office fax plugged in (so it's connected to the hub) and I had the bedroom port going to the scout with the second line (which had the crackling).

So, I added the splitter to the bedroom port, and plugged the phone to one side and the scout to the other and ran some test calls. A phone plugged into the scout still had the crackle. But a phone plugged into the other side of the splitter still gave decent quality ... same as other connection to the hub.

So it doesn't seem like it's an issue with the length of phone wire. But definitely something with the scout versus the hub.

Next I'll try the scout plugged directly into the hub to see if it's the same.
#4787 by Crazypinoy9
Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:55 pm
I pretty much have my system setup like this:

My verizon modem/router (w/ wireless turned off) has 4 ports. I have ooma plugged into port 2 and I have my Dir-855 plugged into port 4. All my other hardlined computers and network components are hooked up via the dir-855. My phone is connected directly to the hub with no filter or anything else attached to it. I've tried using the wires that came with the system and with ones I've used with vonage with the same results.

Here are my speedtest results:

I am not using the scout because I have 6x 5.8Ghz handsets around the house so there is no need for it.

I've tried configuring my QOS for both the verizon router (since the hub is connected to it) and the ooma hub with synchronized values in the following ranges:

Download: as High as 21500 and as low as 12500
Upload: as High as 5100 and as low as 3000

People I've called using ooma have given me complaints of crackling, cut out, and light buzzing.

**customer service called me a few minutes ago looking into my situation. They asked me about call quality with 3 specific phone numbers that I have made throughout the day. I've explained in detail what happens during the call and have been told they will call me back soon.**
#4788 by mthomtech
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:06 pm
Thanks for the info. Let us know what you find out. I haven't tried to do anything with QoS on the Verizon router ... don't really know what to do. Which router do you have. I have the ActionTek.

Bobby B - I just tried connecting the scout directly to the hub. The phone connected to the scout still had crackling for person receiving the call.

So, there definitely appears to be a difference in quality between the hub and scout. The scout has given me lower quality regardless of setup or wiring.
#4790 by Crazypinoy9
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:09 pm
mthomtech wrote:Thanks for the info. Let us know what you find out. I haven't tried to do anything with QoS on the Verizon router ... don't really know what to do. Which router do you have. I have the ActionTek.

I have the Westell Ultralite series3 9100EM.
#4792 by mthomtech
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:25 pm
What did you do to change the QoS settings on the Verizon Router?
#4793 by Bobby B
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:43 pm
mthomtech wrote:Bobby B - I just tried connecting the scout directly to the hub. The phone connected to the scout still had crackling for person receiving the call.

I'll ask some of our engineering folks to see if this issue has been encountered before.

Just curious - did you try connecting a different phone to the Scout (for example, the one that is connected to the Hub)?

Also, do you have a corded phone handy that you could try with?