This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#12917 by Aveamantium
Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:03 pm
mthomtech,

Yeah, I'm not convinced that this isn’t just "normal" with the scouts. Like you and I have found, the scout isn't all that bad (I have yet to have anyone complain about it when I'm talking to them) but it is noticeably less clear as compared to the hub (at least to me when I’m on the other end).

I sent tech support my testing results and have yet to hear back from them. I've also referenced this thread (as I'm sure you have as well) so they can see that this is not an isolated incident. My guess is this is part of the reason that they are going to the Telo design, which will be all DECT 6.0 technology. However I personally prefer the hub/scout design as my house was prewired with Cat5e to every room in the house.

Anyway, I'm happy with the service and will troubleshoot if ooma asks but I'm not worried about it. Like you, I use the scout phone primarily for VM retrieval and for the instant second line. Other than that I use another phone (connected to the hub's “phone” interface) if I need to make long or important calls. Hopefully they'll figure this out!

Thanks for the feedback and please do let us know if you hear anything else from ooma!
#12921 by mthomtech
Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:18 pm
Sounds like we have similar setups too. I also think I prefer the hub and scout design, since I too have Cat5e going everywhere, making this hub and scout design very versatile.

I am very curious on the Telo though, and I agree that the new design will get around these issues.

I will say that when Ooma listened to calls from my Scout, they indicated that it was definitely not normal. It's just been hard to pinpoint what the issue is. But it doesn't appear to be what they've observed in their testing of the product. Hopefully we'll pinpoint it and figure out what the fix is.

In the meantime, I'm glad you are enjoying the service as much as I am.
#12928 by scottlindner
Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:54 am
RipV wrote:QOS? I looked in the User Manual and there is no QOS. QOS may sound cool but it is useless when ooma doesn't use the term.

Please let's not speak code. There are plenty of us who want to use a phone and not have to be phone engineers to do so.

What do we need to do to improve the quality of voice on ooma? And without saying "shown elsewhere in the forum" - how can we test to find out what we need to input to get the best voice quality.

Thanks, guys.

QoS is not code. It is a standard networking term. In Google if you search on "QoS" the very first entry is exactly what we are talking about. So it is far from code speak. If you want to understand everything that goes into making Ooma tick, you will need to be an "engineer" to understand all of them.

The best first thing you can do to improve the voice quality of your Ooma system is to run this test. http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html Post the results for us to review and we can help you figure out why you might be having voice quality issues.

Another option is to disconnect everything from your Internet and connect just the Ooma Hub, and then make test phone calls. If that works great, then we know it is something about your network configuration that may need some tweaking. If you still have bad voice quality with just the Ooma Hub connected to your Internet, then there are some tests you should run and possibly contact your ISP.

Scott
#29934 by TonyB
Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:03 pm
Looks like I'm reviving a somewhat dated thread...

First, my Ooma is working fantastically, I'm happy to say. Like many here, I've told family and friends and my mom got an Ooma recently - and that's the reason for my post.

The call quality is quite poor, primarily if not exclusively on outbound calls only. We're talking static and echo, as explained to me. It's so bad, that a friend requests that she call from her cell phone...

This is so with a cordless phone, and corded, but maybe a bit worse with the cordless. She is using the hub only. When testing the Ooma on AT&T dsl, it worked like a charm. She then decided to lose the landline (get dry-loop) and go solo with Ooma. As matters would have it, she got a better deal with Comcast cable, with much better bandwidth. However, after the install, the call quality has really suffered...

As per previous poster, I used the provided link, and here is the info:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 1.2 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5958968 bps
Upload speed: 6722864 bps
Download quality of service: 83 %
Upload quality of service: 39 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 59 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 25 ms
Average round trip time to server: 31 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 14400000bps
Route concurrency: 2.4165258
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 20971200bps

=====================================

So, a QOS issue? I would appreciate any input you can provide. Thank you.

EDIT / ADD:

Using Speakeasy Speed Test while on Ooma, and upload drops to less than 100! Here is one more output:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.9 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 1.4 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 8642112 bps
Upload speed: 6730616 bps
Download quality of service: 62 %
Upload quality of service: 38 %
Maximum TCP delay: 47 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 25 ms
Average round trip time to server: 27 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 13600000bps
Route concurrency: 1.5736893
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 20971200bps

=====================================

If it helps any, the set-up is as follows:

cable modem (Motorola) -> wireless router (NetGear) -> Ooma Hub
#29938 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:42 pm
"Upload quality of service: 39 %" is a poor score and may explain any outbound call quality issues. The computer you are using to run the test is connected to the router by wire or wireless?

Your Comcast Internet connection may be the problem. If you go to http://192.168.100.1 you should see the configuration page for your cable modem. Look at the Signal to Noise ratio, upstream power and downstream power. Sometimes these figures are indicative of a connection problem with your cable modem.
#29967 by TonyB
Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:56 am
Thanks Groundhound for the reply.

I was on my laptop, wirelessly when I ran those reports. Would you recommend that I do so again, but via ethernet cable?

I'm not sure when I'll be at my mom's house again, but hopefully soon. I will definitely go to the configuration page you provided. Might I be able to make some adjustments to improve the situation?

Lastly, my mom called Ooma tech support. She was going to try again today. From what has been provided here, maybe she shouldn't bother? Thanks much.
#29974 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:51 am
TonyB wrote:I was on my laptop, wirelessly when I ran those reports. Would you recommend that I do so again, but via ethernet cable? Yes.

I'm not sure when I'll be at my mom's house again, but hopefully soon. I will definitely go to the configuration page you provided. Might I be able to make some adjustments to improve the situation? Not in the modem configuration itself, but the parameters I mentioned may be improved by minimizing cable splits and length, and making sure the house cable is of good quality without sharp bends. You want to make sure to do everything you can to address problems in your home connections before getting Comcast to roll a truck.

Lastly, my mom called Ooma tech support. She was going to try again today. From what has been provided here, maybe she shouldn't bother? I'm not sure what QoS settings you have available to you with her router (what model?). You may try putting the Ooma Hub in front of the router to see if its built in QoS configuration would help, and tech support may assist with that, but I would look at the other things first.
#29981 by TonyB
Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:17 am
I'll move the Ooma hub before the router and see how that works. I'll also get the model number the next time I'm there... Thanks much.

I once worked at a cable company back in the day, so I know about the "rule of thumb" regarding bends in the coax. I'll check the lines and fittings too...
#30401 by TonyB
Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:09 pm
Ok, back at my mom's place now...

My mistake, but here is the current flow:

cable modem (Motorola) -> Ooma Hub -> wireless router (NetGear)

Cable modem = Motorola SB5101 SURFboard

Wireless router = Netgear RangeMax WPN824 v3

So, should I try flipping the order of the Ooma hub with the wireless router; putting the Ooma hub at the end?

I will first connect her computer to an ethernet line and run that test, checking for a signal to noise ratio. I'll report back, editing this post... Thanks.

Edit / Add:

Ok, I now have her computer connected directly to the Motorola cable modem via ethernet and decided to run that first test again, and got these results:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.8 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 18113032 bps
Upload speed: 3652912 bps
Download quality of service: 74 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Maximum TCP delay: 270 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 27 ms
Average round trip time to server: 54 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 18400000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0158432
Download TCP forced idle: 48 %
Maximum route speed: 19417776bps

==================================

I ran this test 2 more times, and got better results on the QOS, this being the most recent:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 19986360 bps
Upload speed: 3622400 bps
Download quality of service: 93 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Maximum TCP delay: 53 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 28 ms
Average round trip time to server: 44 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 19986360bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 36 %
Maximum route speed: --
======================================

With respect to http://192.168.100.1/, the initial status screen looks fine (Done & Operational).

The Signal tab:

Frequency 723000000 Hz

Signal To Noise Ratio 37.5 dB

Power Level 8.5 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 6
Frequency 37000000 Hz
Power 46.7 dBmV

There is more that I can paste, but I don't how helpful that would be. There is a Logs tab... That said, there are some Critical notes:

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

There are many more Critical failures, but I'm not sure of the relevance...

I will try switching the Ooma hub with the wireless router, just for the heck of it...

Any further input, please share. Thanks much.
#30419 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:29 pm
Don't see anything that jumps out on the modem data, both your upstream and downstream power levels are above what I understand to be ideal, but not outside the "normal" range (reducing the number of coax splitters or wire length may help). There was a significant difference in the 2 latest "WhichVoIP" test results you posted (download QoS & max TCP delay), and if variability of that extent is common it may be a Comcast issue.

If you elect to keep the Hub in front of the router, you may find this knowledgebase article helpful http://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgebase/configuring-quality-service, if you put the Hub behind the router you may need to configure QoS in the router. Unless your Mom has a lot of traffic on her Internet connection, it's unlikely that the problem is completely fixable via QoS settings though.

You mentioned in your first post that the call quality suffered more with her cordless phone that with a wired phone, and that could account for some of the problem as well. If the cordless phone is a 2.4 GHz or in some cases a 5.8 GHz phone it may be interfered with by her wireless router.