This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#12712 by scottlindner
Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:25 pm
Aveamantium wrote:
mthomtech wrote:The last update on my side, was that Ooma sent me a hub and scout to test and I still had the scratchiness on the receiving end when I called from the scout. I then sent that back for them to do some additional hardware testing.

I did get an update that they are planning a couple additional troubleshooting tests, but I think they are also gearing up for the Telo release which I'm sure is taking the engineers' time.

I'll post as soon as I hear more.

For me, I primarily use the hub, which I'm getting good quality from, and the scout is usable when needed, even though the scratchiness is there.

mthomtech,

I don't know if this is a hardware limitation or not but has there been any discussion with the techs to add the option to dump the HPNA and just extend a normal dial tone through the Scout? I don't have anything else running on the copper pair serving the Scout so I don't really need to use HPNA. I think it is good to have the option in case the line is being used for DSL or the like but having the option to use something more "standard" may make the Scout quality issues go away?

I just talked to my wife using a Hub phone and the call was great as usual... However, she called me again later using the Scout phone and not only was it scratchy on my end when she talked but I even got echo this time (first time for that). Frustrating that the call quality can be so degraded when using the Scout as compared to the Hub. Really makes the "instant second line" hard to use!

A while ago I had suggested network based Scouts for two reasons. 1. to solve the HPNA/DSL conflicts. 2. so for all of these new prewired homes built over the last decade with only one Cat5e run to each room so you can have both phone and network, rather than either phone or network. It would also simplify the Scout hardware, but, it is still a hardware change and I am sure until Ooma hits some good saturation it would be an extremely low priority opportunity.

Scott
#12713 by scottlindner
Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:26 pm
Aveamantium wrote:
Groundhound wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:By the way, if this was a wiring issue wouldn't the static always be there and on both ends of the conversation?

Not sure, but there may be something defective about the scout or its power supply that would be easier to diagnose if all other variables are removed.

I agree! Just trying to figure this out... Like I mentioned, I'm going to try making a buch of different test calls tonight to see if I can nail this down.

Please post your results! For me the scout scratchiness is hit or miss. I haven't figured it out yet. I have only the Hub and Scout connected on Line 3 but it isn't direct.

Scott
#12741 by Aveamantium
Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:47 am
I did a series of tests calls last night to test the scout call quality... Basically I called my work's voice mail and left several messages using different phone configurations. Note that I couldn't really hear the difference between the messages when listening to them remotely but after going through them this morning (directly) you can definitely tell the difference in voice quality between the calls made through the scout and the ones not.

The following is a list of the test calls and corresponding configuration and the resulting call quality (rated 1-5 with 5 being the best).

1) Call from the scout phone connected through the Line 2 house wiring [rating 2]

2) Call from the scout phone connected directly to the hub (no house wiring involved) [rating 3]

3) Call from the scout phone connected through the Line 2 house wiring (just another test similar to No. 1) [rating 3]

4) Call from another phone using the Line 1 house wiring connected to the hub (no scout) [rating 5]

5) Call from the phone that I normally have connected to the scout but this time have connected using the Line 1 house wiring (no scout) [rating 5]

6) Call from the scout phone connected through the Line 2 house wiring after re-tightening/punching down connections [rating 3.5].

Basically, from this I've ruled out the phones and I've ruled out the house wiring. Calls are great through the hub no matter what phone I'm using (even with using the house wiring). The scout phone calls seem to very in voice quality. There should be no reason that test 6 sounded better than test 2 but to me it did seem slightly improved.

Again, I'm comparing the quality between the hub and the scout when talking to a Land Line. I can't tell the difference in quality when the receiving phone is a cell. Consequently, it really isn't bad enough to not use the scout but again, I can definitely tell the difference in quality when the other end is a land line. Another observation is that the ooma end always sounds the same regardless if it is going through the scout or just the hub; again, it is only on the non-ooma side of the call that the quality is degraded (static). Not sure if this helps anyone, but it does (at least for me) narrow the issue down to the scout.
#12745 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:58 am
Since you've identified the problem as being the scout itself instead of the manner in which you connect it, I'd take it up with ooma as a warranty issue.
#12746 by Aveamantium
Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:10 am
Groundhound wrote:Since you've identified the problem as being the scout itself instead of the manner in which you connect it, I'd take it up with ooma as a warranty issue.

Yeah, I'll forward this message via e-mail to see what they say. Their first response on this issue was to test the scout connected directly to the hub. Hopefully this will address their question?

Are you using the scout? I'm just wondering if there is someone out there that has the exact same voice quality going through the scout as compared to the hub? After reading through this thread it really seems as if this is an inherent issue with the scout (especially after reading the testing that mthomtech has done).
#12748 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:24 am
I'm using two scouts, and the call quality is satisfactory with both of them. Is it exactly the same as the hub? I can't really tell, but it's close enough to not concern me at this point.
#12782 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:53 pm
My Scout has a staticy/scratchy sound to it as well. It is tolerable, but you know it's there. I do not get it when using my Hub. So there may be a pattern with the Scouts.

Scott
#12851 by RipV
Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 pm
QOS? I looked in the User Manual and there is no QOS. QOS may sound cool but it is useless when ooma doesn't use the term.

Please let's not speak code. There are plenty of us who want to use a phone and not have to be phone engineers to do so.

What do we need to do to improve the quality of voice on ooma? And without saying "shown elsewhere in the forum" - how can we test to find out what we need to input to get the best voice quality.

Thanks, guys.
#12852 by Groundhound
Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:56 pm
RipV wrote:QOS? I looked in the User Manual and there is no QOS. QOS may sound cool but it is useless when ooma doesn't use the term.

Please let's not speak code. There are plenty of us who want to use a phone and not have to be phone engineers to do so.

What do we need to do to improve the quality of voice on ooma? And without saying "shown elsewhere in the forum" - how can we test to find out what we need to input to get the best voice quality.

You can read about it here: http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/al/126 ... =0.3389093
QoS means Quality of Service, and there are adjustments you can make if you are having any call quality issues. If you have no problems then it's best not to mess with it. If you are having problems then the best thing would be to start a thread describing the problem, when it occurs, how your hub is connected, what kind of Internet service you have, etc. There are a number of people here who will provide specifics on QoS settings once we know the basics about your setup.
#12903 by mthomtech
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:40 pm
Aveamantium wrote:
Are you using the scout? I'm just wondering if there is someone out there that has the exact same voice quality going through the scout as compared to the hub? After reading through this thread it really seems as if this is an inherent issue with the scout (especially after reading the testing that mthomtech has done).

Hey Aveamantium,

Sounds like you did a lot of the same kind of testing I did at the start. It certainly seemed like a Scout specific issue for me, but I will tell you that we tested a couple of other Scouts from Ooma and had the same results. For me, the results vary somewhat from time to time too, but it's always there. I also can't hear the static from a cell phone ... but I think that's because we are so conditioned to be OK with inferior call quality on our cell phones. The cell phone quality is probably already worse than anything we experience with Ooma.

Here's some earlier feedback from Ooma for your information. I actually tested the sound quality with them and they did hear the issue, and it appears that it was not widespread ... of course, those of us that have it will find each other on this thread. Maybe it has something to do with HPNA or maybe some kind of interference or defect in the Scout or power supply.

I can tell you that Ooma has been helpful trying to diagnose the source of the issue. I'm sure most manufacturers would have given up a long time ago, but I do think they are tyring to narrow it down.

I haven't tried any new changes recently, with the new ability for to change the reserved bandwith on the Hub, etc. Although, I don't think that will change our specific problem. I should try out some more tests though.

Since I primarily use the Scout for the answering machine and message screening, I've not had to deal with the scratchiness lately. When I do use the instant second line, it's not bad enough that I get a lot of complaints. But it would be an issue if I used a Scout for a dedicated home business line or something.

Ultimately, I'm very happy with the Hub quality and the ability to have the answering machine and call screening is a huge advantage over when I had Vonage ... and I certainly can't beat the price!

I'll let you know what I find out from future tests, and what Ooma finds out from the hardware tests on the unit I tested and sent back to them.