This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#10630 by dueport
Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:21 pm
I have but they simply want me to adjust the current QOS settings which has no impact on the quality of my calls. I went back and read this thread from the beginning and found that many people had the exact same issue as me: even though they have more than sufficient bandwidth and QOS set as tech support suggests, static is often heard by the recipient of the ooma call whenever the ooma caller speaks. Previous posters discovered that dialing *99 before making a call eliminates the problem. I tried this and found the same. This workaround is limited though because: 1. it doesn't work for incoming calls, and 2. it is annoying. It was my hope that a permanent setting to automatically enable 90 Kbps for each voice call would fix this problem. I really want to love my ooma but I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to keep it with the call quality so poor. If you have any other suggestions I really will try anything to make it work....otherwise I honestly have no choice but to return it.
#10803 by ram104
Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:20 am
I was curious where to find the firmware rev. I logged on to the hub, but didn't see it.
#10919 by ram104
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:06 am
Thanks Wayne.

It looks like I know have the reserved bandwidth for calls. Where I am getting 30mb d/l and 5 u/l what would be a good setting to use?
What are other users settings there's to.
#10922 by pl1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:21 am
ram102 wrote:Thanks Wayne.

It looks like I know have the reserved bandwidth for calls. Where I am getting 30mb d/l and 5 u/l what would be a good setting to use?
What are other users settings there's to.

Personally, I can't see any reason not to give it the max of 215 if you have the bandwidth available. Does anyone think it would hurt anything?

Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 215
#12010 by Aveamantium
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm
mthomtech wrote:I'll keep you guys updated. The feedback they gave me when they heard the scout quality themselves, was that it was not a normal experience, and something that seems to be a recent issue. Hopefully it's something in the equipment or something that they can pinpoint in the lab.

I have hope that they'll get to the bottom of it, since as we've all pointed out, the revenue from the premiere service depends on it.

Just signed up this weekend and I too am noticing some slight static on the non-ooma side of the call when using the scout as opposed to the hub. The wife called me at work and when using the scout it seemed a little scratchy when she talked so I asked her to switch to a different phone (connected to the hub) and it was clearer. The funny thing is if she calls my cell phone using the "scout" phone, I can't hear the static? I've also called others using the "scout" phone and they've not mentioned anything?

I'm not too concerned about this but there does seem to be a difference in quality when using the scout as opposed to the hub. As for my setup I have my WRT54GL (with Tomato) behind my wireless motorola canopy (ISP) and my ooma hub behind my WRT54GL. All my house wiring is CAT5e (phone and internet wiring). I have the the hub connected to my Line 1 house wiring and the Scout connected through my Line 2 house wiring.

The solution for me is simple, I can just use a L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter at my "scout" phone location and plug the phone into L1 and the scout into L2. This gives me the VM and screening ability but I would lose the ability for the instant second line (hence the reason that I don't want to do this).

Based on everything that I've read, I don't believe this to be specific to my setup. Consequently, I'm just going to sit back and see where this goes. However, just wanted to add another person to the "list"...
#12018 by bw1
Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:11 am
Did you try plugging your scout directly into the hub and test that setup? It would at least narrow down whether you're having issues with your wiring. Also, you could try the phone that's connected to the hub and connect that to the scout for testing.
#12022 by Aveamantium
Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:52 am
Not yet... However, I did use my old service on the 2nd Line house wiring without any issue. I do need to try a different phone though. I have tried the *99 (maybe a very slight improvement) and tried without the surge protector. Again, it isn't that bad in my case but I can definitely tell when the wife calls me on the scout phone as opposed to any of the other phones in the house (at least when I'm at work, again it isn't noticeable on the cell phone).

This is a stretch but I wonder if it has to do with how the call is connected? I know that the ooma checks the database for the most cost effective route when processing the call so maybe when the call is connected to my work (which is VoIP as well, CBeyond on a T1 line) there is an issue there? However, you'd think it would happen for all the phones? Maybe I can't hear it on the cell because the cell quality masks it?? Oh well, I'll play around with this on my spare time.
#12024 by Aveamantium
Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:11 am
You know the thing that is confusing to me is that the call quality on the ooma side of the scout phone is perfectly clear (which you would think would eliminate the wiring question)? Also, the non-ooma side of the scout phone is scratchy (almost like an interference issue at the scout) only when voice is transmitted and doesn't break out (which to me eliminates any Qos/packet loss issues)? Strange one...
#12334 by sienz
Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:19 pm
Any updates on the scratchy sound if a call made from the phone connected to the scout?

I think I have similar issue. I heard scratchy sound/bad call quality when a call made from the phone connected to the scout. But the call quality is lot better when I made the call from the phone connected to the HUB.

I just connected my Ooma 2 days ago so I am kind of new to Ooma and tried to read as much as threads in Ooma forum.

I have not opened a trouble ticket with Ooma tech yet, I would like to know if this issue has been resolved. The call quality from the phone connected to the scout seems to be unacceptable, everthing else looks good.