This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#9298 by mthomtech
Thu May 07, 2009 8:01 pm
I'll keep you guys updated. The feedback they gave me when they heard the scout quality themselves, was that it was not a normal experience, and something that seems to be a recent issue. Hopefully it's something in the equipment or something that they can pinpoint in the lab.

I have hope that they'll get to the bottom of it, since as we've all pointed out, the revenue from the premiere service depends on it.
#9313 by jt25741
Fri May 08, 2009 4:46 am
mthomtech wrote:I'll keep you guys updated. The feedback they gave me when they heard the scout quality themselves, was that it was not a normal experience, and something that seems to be a recent issue. Hopefully it's something in the equipment or something that they can pinpoint in the lab.

I have hope that they'll get to the bottom of it, since as we've all pointed out, the revenue from the premiere service depends on it.

Thanks for keeping us all updated....Since we all know that Premier and Scott revenue are key to Ooma's existence and our own use of the service. With Google Voice coming soon -- there may be huge demand for VOIP termination points on the market --maybe not so much the Premier services with Google Voice handling much of that. If Ooma can capture a reasonably small fraction of this disruptive growth in residential VOIP with Ooma Hub and Scout -- they may do more than fine riding that wave of huge growth and major transition. Consistent quality of Scout is absolutely necessary for both, as the Scout is likely almost all margin for Ooma.
#9342 by Timothy
Fri May 08, 2009 9:36 am
mthomtech - Since you are dealing with the Oooma tech's, has there been any mention on the release of the QOS Knob or potiential work around for additional bandwidth allowance on either the Hub or Scout? Essentially a work around so I don't need to use the *99 on my outband calls to my friends on landlines?
#9610 by mthomtech
Wed May 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Timothy - I have not heard anything more on that feature. I will check next time I talk to them.
#10251 by tranchonguyen
Sun May 24, 2009 9:22 pm
I've used a great deal of codecs both at work and home and found that the G.711 comes close to the phone company quality (acceptable by all means) but needs about 80 kbps up and 80 k down, which for 2 simultaneous calls would need 160k both ways. Alot of upstream links are capped at 128K so G.711 is not for everyone, but not everyone gets the 2nd line, and since I am being fed from a T1 (1.544 Mbps up and down - symetric) 160k would be 10% of my T1 for 2 calls - not significant. Cable users probably wont notice the 160k with the new docsis 3 speeds hitting 50Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.

On my cell phone (verizon / motorola phone) there is a secret keycode that you can enter to change the codec. Your 2 choices are 8K EVRC (enhanced variable rate coder) or 13K fixed (which has more error correction bits in it). Where I live the error correction makes a big deal so I changed to the 13K vocoder. Obviously verizon ships with the 8K selected and doesn't advertise the fact you can change it.

Ooma should give us a slider or even checkboxes for different codecs depending on how much bandwidth we have. There are people still using isdn, people on T1s and people on cable internet. Each person would probably want a different codec used for their calls due to their ear's desire for quality and their available bandwidth.

There are also "phone-o-philes" who want the best audio quality at any bandwidth and "net-o-philes" who don't want to give up much bandwidth for calling purposes. Ooma could probably satisfy 99.99% of the ears and network links with just 5 or 6 codec options.
#10299 by Timothy
Tue May 26, 2009 3:17 pm
tranchonguyen - your music to my eyes reading your post. Appreicate that info and I too wish Ooma techs or Mods would chime in on this. My assumption is that the hardware my not accept a change in codec but I know for the when the wife dials *99 before calling me at work on the land line.. its night and day difference in quality. So yes! where is the slidder or option to change bandwidth that we were supposed to see? I remember a post while back from a Mod saying there was an update in April to allow this.
#10357 by Bobby B
Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 am
Sorry, the call quality slider has been delayed a bit. It's right now scheduled to be released within the next 3-4 weeks, if not earlier.
#10365 by dueport
Wed May 27, 2009 3:28 pm
Bobby B - can you please clarify if this "call quality slider" is going to increase the size of the call itself (ie increasing space from 30 to 90) or is this only going to allow more simultaneous conversations? This question has been asked multiple times in this thread and no clear answer has ever been given. This is a critical point.

I am a new ooma customer and have the exact problems everyone in this thread has had: 1. horrible quality for people on the receiving end of the ooma call (static when ever the ooma caller speaks), and 2. crummy quality off the scout. Tech support played dumb to this issue just as they did 2 months ago to others on this thread.

I want to love my ooma (it is a great concept) but if they can't address this quality issue in the manner everyone in this thread has demanded, I'm returning it and getting my money back.

*For the record, like others in this thread, my internet connection is more than enough to support ooma. I have tried bypassing the scout and plugging the phone directly to the hub - no help. I have tried tweaking the QOS settings to 768 down and 384 up - no help. The ONLY thing that does improve the quality is when I dial *99 as has been discovered in this thread. As other helpful ooma users have found, this increases the call quality above 30 which eliminates the static issue. Thus, it is critical that ooma provide a method to set all calls to a quality higher than 30, otherwise I'm going to have to return my ooma.*
#10509 by jt25741
Sat May 30, 2009 8:40 am
After restarting my Hub after a power outage last night, I see a new QoS setting "Reserved Bandwidth for Calls" -- you can pick between 40 and 215Kbps.

It seems this may just reserve total bandwidth for all calls to use from your total upstream/downstream bandwidth.

Question: Does setting have any bearing on how much bandwidth a single call can use for quality purposes?

Thanks
#10519 by southsound
Sat May 30, 2009 11:53 am
Interesting. I've restarted mine and it does not show up. My system is running 22924.22924. Maybe they are doing a rolling upgrade. Has anyone else noticed the new QOS settings on their hub?

jt25741 could you check your firmware rev for me?