This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#5033 by mthomtech
Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:15 pm
The scout issue may be something scout specific too. Ooma is taking a look at a couple of my test calls, so we'll see. I'll keep you posted because I know your scout was also much lower quality than your hub too.
#5043 by mthomtech
Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:04 pm
Timothy - tried a *99 call, and yes ... you can definitely tell a difference in the voice quality on the non-ooma end. So, ooma should definitely add some enhancements to adjust the call quality that the user wants. I'm sure the 30 kbps is fine for most users, especially ones used to cell phones and/or have small bandwidths available. But the ability to increase quality would geat. That *99 call with 90 kbps, was excellent quality ... better than landline for sure.

On my scout issue, ooma is sending me a replacement to test ... I'll let you know how it goes.

I do have to say that I think the only issue with the customer service is probably just a lack of resources to keep up with all of the new customers. As easy as the setup is, there are so many more complicated networks that I'm sure they are constantly swamped with questions. But as they are able to get to the issues, you can tell that ooma is very dedicated to a great product and great customer service, so I think these issues will continue to be solved and the end result is going to be first in class.
#5094 by Crazypinoy9
Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:49 pm
Just an update...

been using the hub with my QOS set to 768 down and 384 up. No problems whatsoever. The call quality isn't as good as vonage for the person I'm calling, but they don't hear the static they used to when I first installed the hub. Just a very very low buzz. You can't really hear it unless you know it's there.

Hope everyone else is getting things working the way it should be.
#5120 by lohertz
Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:53 am
I would suggest playing with the QoS settings. I haven't seen anything in the OOMA setup to dictate the transmitted bitrate. Really, anything around 90Kbps should be more than sufficient using a standard handset. For years radio industry used ISDN lines at 128Kbps, so anything beyond that is really unnecessary.

Try this site
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

It's extremely useful in trouble shooting (in terms of connection)
#5129 by mthomtech
Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:52 am
The 30 kpbs was mentioned by one of the mods as the typical bandwidth uses by a standard ooma call. I verified this by monintoring the bandwidth through my router during a call. It looked like about 30-35 kbps.

They also mentioned the *99 prefix takes out the compression and the call is about 90 kbps.

ooma is sending me another scout to test out to see if the crackling issue goes away. I did try *99 from the scout and the call quality on the other end was great ... so I'm not sure it will turn out to be a hardware issue or not.

I'll keep messing with the QoS ... but so far, no settings have been able to reduce or eliminate the crackling from the scout. Although, I was able to add a couple of settings on my main router that I think will help any intermittent quality issues.

Ooma did confirm that there was no network or connection issues on my test calls ... I'm confident we'll get to the bottom of the issue. In the meantime my hub is working fine ... and I still love the message screening and broadband answering machine!
#5214 by thively
Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:53 pm
Here's some info I dug up on the CODEC that Ooma uses. Just read this short threat for yourself.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r219982 ... -that-mean
In summary, it's a high quality sound CODEC at low bit rates and can adapt to available bit rates. I have no idea what (yet) what that having a slider to increase the bit rate would mean to this CODEC.
#5215 by Sublime
Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:59 pm
Calls from my scout also sound scratchy outbound. Calls from the hub sound OK outbound. Incoming sound is fine on both hub and scout.
I have tried different phones and cables (4 wire & 2 wire), the scout is currently connected wall to wall to the hub with just short phone cable, still scratchy outbound. I would like to keep the premier for the second line, but the sound quality from the scout might be the deal breaker.
I hope the scout issue gets resolved.

Mike
#5271 by mthomtech
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 pm
Stay tuned Sublime ... that sounds like one of the issues we're discussing here.

When I played back my test using *99 from the scout, I did notice some very slight crackle, so maybe it didn't get rid of it like I thought. I then tested the scout with a normal call and notice the crackly had decreased, but was still there.

I'll be testing a new scout this week, and will post the results. Maybe if the CODEC does adjust to available bandwidth, the new enhancement coming in April will help.

But I'm in the same boat ... the success of the scout will be what determines if I stick with Ooma premiere for a second dedicated number.

No doubt the design of the system and it's options are great ... I have a feeling we'll get to the bottom of this scratchy scout issue soon.
#5281 by Sublime
Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:42 am
Hi mthomtech, please keep us posted. I look foward to hearing how you make out with the new scout. I tried *99 , didn't notice any improvement.
#5288 by Timothy
Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 am
Welcome Sublime to the Topic Discussion. Just to clarify the *99 increases the bandwidth so in turn creates a higher quality of call. If you are at work or where ever with a land line and someone calls you from the Hub you should notice a significant improvement in the call quality assuming that person used *99 before the number. Have somebody call you with and without the *99. The call quality does not seem to be affected on the Ooma receiver end. In fact I think the call quality connected to the hub is perfect. This is where the call quality slider became the subject to allow a setting in the Lounge for adjustment in the amount of bandwidth consumed by the Hub/Scout. (just like vonage has) Appears there will be some updates in April to allow this update.

Regarding the Scout Crackle I think is another problem all together and from many tests preformed little to no fix has been provided yet. Hopefully Mhometech's replacement will shed light if this is a hardware problem/firware fix or bandwidth/codec restriction issue from Ooma.