This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#61090 by ThatAdamGuy
Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:35 pm
Hi there,

I've just gotten and installed an Ooma Telo unit. And I've also skimmed a zillion threads about voice quality / latency.

But one thing I've not figured out:
- What's the sort of latency that's typical when calling from Ooma?
- What latency is best-case?

Okay, that's two things. And one more:
- Can I realistically expect a latency level with Ooma as good as that with a regular telephone line?

When I dial 909-390-0003 with Ooma (using a non-Ooma but high quality cordless phone) and rapidly say the numbers 1-10, I sense a delay around one-third to one-half a second, and also note that some of the audio breaks up / is hard to discern.

When I do the same test with my office (desktop, POTS) phone, I sense a delay of less than one-third a second, and no audio break-ups.

In case you're curious about my setup, my roommate set up stuff thusly: Cable modem, wireless router, ooma. When he tried putting the Ooma box first, we lost internet connectivity :(. But we have Comcast Business Internet, so tons of bandwidth (22/10) and seemingly low latency.

Thoughts?

(I tried running a VoIP-related latency/speed test, but was unable to because I don't have java on my computer due to security concerns)
#61101 by nn5i
Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:10 pm
ThatAdamGuy wrote:Hi there,

I've just gotten and installed an Ooma Telo unit. And I've also skimmed a zillion threads about voice quality / latency.

But one thing I've not figured out:
- What's the sort of latency that's typical when calling from Ooma?In my experience, perhaps 300 ms.
- What latency is best-case?In my experience, perhaps 200 ms.

Okay, that's two things. And one more:
- Can I realistically expect a latency level with Ooma as good as that with a regular telephone line?
Probably not.

When I dial 909-390-0003 with Ooma (using a non-Ooma but high quality cordless phone) and rapidly say the numbers 1-10, I sense a delay around one-third to one-half a second, and also note that some of the audio breaks up / is hard to discern.

When I do the same test with my office (desktop, POTS) phone, I sense a delay of less than one-third a second, and no audio break-ups.

In case you're curious about my setup, my roommate set up stuff thusly: Cable modem, wireless router, ooma. When he tried putting the Ooma box first, we lost internet connectivity :(. But we have Comcast Business Internet, so tons of bandwidth (22/10) and seemingly low latency.

Thoughts?

Probably the order in which the Ooma and the router are connected will make no difference since each is very quick. The latency will occur -- I think -- mostly in the travel of the packets between your ISP and Ooma's ISP. If you do a TRACERT you may find that there are ten or more hops each way.

(I tried running a VoIP-related latency/speed test, but was unable to because I don't have java on my computer due to security concerns)
#61102 by ThatAdamGuy
Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:23 pm
Hi nn5i, and thanks for the reply!

I actually just had a conversation with my roommate... with me on my phone at work (same city), and him on our ooma. Neither of us were able to perceive voice delays, so perhaps it's just when we're in the same house and listening to each other on the phone and down the hall at the same time, the delay is noticeable. And perhaps it's also the Ooma latency + cell phone latency that's the killer.

I wonder if using a cordless phone adds any latency to the mix. Hmm.

re: tracert... ah, good idea. Will be interesting to check that out when I get home.

Anyway, thanks again for the note :)
#61104 by oom101
Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:31 pm
The initial modem or modem/router has to be first. (If you do not set down and up to 0 (see below), Ooma can slow your up to a crawl when using the Ooma and uploading from a computer, as has been shown by my bandwidth testing.

Ooma sends, as I understand it, encrypted voice from you to their servers. There is a delay on a digital cell phone (all analog is gone as of 2007 end) due to packet processing, and so there is also with Ooma. Packets must be built, sent, and unassembled. It will be worse if you Ooma to a cell phone.

One way to test is to call your cellphone, and talk one in each ear. Maybe 1/4 or more is due to the cell phone.
I am thinking that Ooma might be up to 1/4 second or some say 1/2 second, also.

Anyway, anybody chime in on this question.

P.S. Try going to setup.ooma.com in the address bar of a computer connected to the Ooma unit, and go to advanced, and try it with down 0 (the default), but set up to 0, also.

And thanks for the Echo number. I had forgotten about those. By the way, I tried it with a Sprint cell, and the Ooma Hub and it sounded about the same length of delay, but Ooma might have been a tiny tiny bit slower. After all, it has to encrypt/decrypt, and it is Friday afternoon.
#61128 by Davesworld
Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:03 pm
There will always be some delay. Have two people talk on cellphones in the same room and you will see it. Anything under 200ms round trip should be imperceptible as long as both parties are not in the same room. As far as the decay on that number, I too experienced it on my Ooma devices but not when using an Audiocodes MP-118 FXS on either CallCentric or Future Nine. I have not tried Ooma while using the g.711 codec which I do use on the other carriers.