This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#60318 by QTA
Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 am
Calls on my new telo has a delay of about .5 seconds and it seems a few people on the board has similar problems. Is this an issue of Ooma's system or is it more prevalent on the telo models? How many people with the Core model are having the delays? I'm trying to decide if i should return it for the older Core model. What are the opinions of others as to whether switching to a Core would help?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2543208 bps
Upload speed: 435200 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 91 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 38 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 48 ms
Average round trip time to server: 49 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2560000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0066026
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 10922496
#60382 by oom101
Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:11 pm
How are you measuring the delay? If a cell phone is on the other end, it adds to the delay since digital cell networks hav always added at least around .25.
I have tested my Telo against my Hub as far as delay, and they seem about the same as far as delay, but I am thinking that there is a click when the call connects on the Telo. I will be testing this again in the next few days, so remind me if I don't.

I will say that the Hub seems to be a hardware device, though I believe I heard that the Telo is a dual processor.
Other considerations are that the Telo itself is lighter than the Hub itself, and the power cord transformer on the Telo will run on 100V to 240V (for international use), and the Hub power cord transformer is MUCH heavier than the Telo's.

Do you have a slight buzz in the background on the Telo?

I'll try to do my tests in the next couple of days. American Express Gold, Blue, and Clear cards allow returns up to 90 days with $300 limit per item, $1,000 per year, and extend warranty 1 year. No cell phone returns and other restrictions. These are said to be covered. :-) Always use these cards to buy gadgets.
#60383 by southsound
Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:18 pm
oom101 wrote: I will say that the Hub seems to be a hardware device, though I believe I heard that the Telo is a dual processor.

Actually, both use a single but different processor. Also, the hub runs Asterisk and the Telo runs FreeSwitch. Both are excellent SIP platforms but FreeSwitch seems to have some neat enhancements. Also there were hardware licensing restrictions on the hub that do not exist on the Telo. One of them is in regards to the device to pass incoming DTMF. The hub will never be able to do it due to those restrictions. We have hopes that the Telo will in a future firmware release. Time will tell. I've had both, love them both, but decided to go forward with the Telo because it is likely to be the platform for the future.
#60403 by southsound
Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:10 am
I've always had a slight delay on my ooma - and also on GV that I use as a front end for my calls. It is not anywhere near what I believe 0.5 second would be - but I've never had a way to measure it. From my untrained ear, it wasn't any different on my hub than on my Telo and I was using both together for many months.

As a little bit of extra information, my Net10 cell phone uses ATT and has a similar delay. You have to remember that in each of these technologies there is a degree of conversion, compression and echo cancelation going on at several locations, not to mention the fact that the signals themselves have to travel a distance to reach their destination. If you call yourself in the same room the signals still travel quite a ways.

From my personal experience, it has never been enough of a problem to worry about it. YMMV :cool: