This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#59886 by makitso
Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:41 am
Just upgraded to Telco from Vonage. Immediately noticed that there was a significant delay from the time a word was spoken to the time the person on the other end heard the word. Things I have done to solve:

1. Set the QOS values to zero since I have excellent (tested by Ooma CSR) service. 12Mbs download, 2mbs upload 0ms jitter and VG latency. This reduced the problem but there is still a time lag and occasional walking over in conversation.

2. No difference if I plug the telephone directly into the Ooma telco unit.

Suggestions?

Rob
#59887 by bmccollum
Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:45 am
Lots of people comment that the delay decreases or goes away completely if they arrange their Ooma Telo in their mix in the order of...

--- Cable or DSL modem
--- Ooma Telo
--- Wireless router

as opposed to...

--- Cable or DSL modem
--- Wireless router
--- Ooma Telo

Good luck!
#59888 by makitso
Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:48 am
I originally configured the Ooma between the cable modem and the router. However, that did not result in a resolution. I currently have the Ooma downside of the router cable modem -> router -> ooma. This is the same configuration that I had for the Vonage device.

I have a pretty high end router and all my tests are done with no computer traffic.

Rob
#59904 by makitso
Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:11 am
Do you notice the delay more on certain numbers or is it consistent on all calls?

I think your point here is the use of internet vs local right? I would assume that *99 would force to local and I am not aware of any delay differences with its use.

You can also go into your Quality of Service settings of your wireless router and indicate that you wish priority to be assigned to VOIP calls...

Yes, I can set QOS for outgoing packets. However, for an idle system with no other traffic, I would not think that this would be an issue.
#59905 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:09 am
makitso wrote:
Do you notice the delay more on certain numbers or is it consistent on all calls?

I think your point here is the use of internet vs local right? I would assume that *99 would force to local and I am not aware of any delay differences with its use.

Hmmm. No, I wasn't trying to make a point, just ask a question. When I used the word "numbers", I was referring to phone numbers. All calls made via Ooma go over the Internet, regardless of what phone number you are dialing - unless you have landline integration set. Use of *99 turns on the use of the G.711 codec, but that was not what I was asking.
#60106 by oom101
Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:34 pm
It seems like there is a bit of extra delay, though talking to a cell phone has always had some, maybe .25 to .5 second delay, even without an Ooma, and x2 if talking cell to cell.
Wonder if Ooma delays to make sure all packets arrive, to get the call quality up? Or if the encryption takes time - they say that from the Ooma box to their survers, the call is encrypted. Wonder how much time that takes?