This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#59606 by zmcmahan
Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:01 pm
Hi there. Just got my Ooma about 3 weeks ago and number port went through today, so just started to play with it more. Call quality is crystal clear, but I am getting about a 1 second or so delay on both ends. I used the "1,2,3 then have the other person say 4" test...so nothing too technical.

I have Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem -----> Linksys WRT320N gigabit router -------> Ooma Telo setup.

Here are my numbers from VOIP testing. I have set the QoS in my Linksys router to give the MAC address of the Telo High priority, but my bandwidth I didn't think that would be an issue.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 13495264 bps
Upload speed: 3145984 bps
Download quality of service: 76 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 43 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 46 ms
Average round trip time to server: 47 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 26400000bps
Route concurrency: 1.9562418
Download TCP forced idle: 59 %
Maximum route speed: --

Any ideas????
#59609 by Groundhound
Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:00 pm
I don't see anything that jumps out as a cause on your posted stats. For estimating delay via your counting test, that would be the round trip amount including delay at both ends, so in normal conversation is it noticeable? Do you hear it consistently or only on certain numbers?
#59610 by zmcmahan
Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:20 pm
Groundhound wrote:I don't see anything that jumps out as a cause on your posted stats. For estimating delay via your counting test, that would be the round trip amount including delay at both ends, so in normal conversation is it noticeable? Do you hear it consistently or only on certain numbers?

I hear it fairly consistently...however I admit it does sound less on some numbers. It is really only noticeable in the beginning of sentences...it's almost like someone is interrupting you. If they pause for a second after your last sentence, then you really don't notice it.
#60093 by oom101
Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:31 pm
Are you talking about a delay between words until the other end hears them?
How are you detecting this delay, and is the person on the other end on a cell phone, another Ooma, or another VOIP like Vonnage or Skype, etc.?
#60095 by oom101
Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:45 pm
This is my post from another thread, but applies here?
How do you arrive at 3 seconds? Is it that time delay until you hear the other end respomd? Isn't that 1.5 seconds each way or less? You do know that there is always a delay of .25 seconds or more when talking to a digital cell phone while it assembles packets? This has been true when analog went away, even talking to a local cell phone. This is x 2 if talking cellphone to cellphone. Try calling the other party from your cellphone to theirs, perform your measurament, and let us know. Just curious what that comes up with. It does apppear that the Ooma delay is larger than a cellphone, but part of it is because of cellphones themselves, so try the cell to cell. Thanks.
#60467 by cgott
Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:19 pm
I have this same problem, and at times it is intolerable.

I have a regular delay of about 1 second (that would be round trip - measured via the "count down with me" method) which makes it difficult to carry on a conversation, and occasionally my delays have rendered conversation impossible. I once made three consecutive calls from California to Hawaii that couldn't progress beyond a greeting because the delay was so bad and the voice quality had also dropped to a horrendous resolution. I had to make the call from my cell phone, which worked perfectly.

My biggest concern is about the delay which is nearly always noticeable, and always worse than my cell phone.

My Speed Test data looks pretty good to me, but I'll pass it along if it will help. I really want to get this worked out as I love everything about my Ooma - except having to apologize for the poor quality of my phone.