This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#59347 by asterix4
Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:01 pm
I've been using the Telo for last 3 weeks now. Overall I'm quite impressed by the device and call quality (in general). I've decided to dump my cable digital phone and have initiated the number porting process. I've the following issues though. Will appreciate if someone can help me out.

SETUP:
* Cable Modem -> Ooma Telo -> Router
* Telo allows only one IP over DHCP. That IP (172.27.35.10) gets assigned to the Router.
* Router is in the DMZ for Telo
* I use a Panasonic cordless 5Ghz phone set with multiple extensions
* SW rev for Telo is 1.37410

Issues:
1) Call Wait Call Id does not work. When I get the second call, I can hear a beep, but the Caller Id does not show up. I did search the forums and there are some people who can make it work. Can you please help me make it work. I need to be on long conf calls for my work and I need to get the Caller Id for calls I end up missing while I'm busy.

2) When a call goes in to call waiting, the first call gets interrupted by beeps. That is normal. However, the call quality of the first call degrades a lot while getting beeps for the call in call waiting. I could not hear what the person on the other end (of the first call) was saying at all. This has happened three times.

3) When I get a voicemail, the phone handsets indicate that there is a new voicemail message. However, I can not retrieve the voicemail from the handsets. I understand that. The voice mail is not stored on the phone system. I'm wondering if there is a way to still retrieve the voicemail with out physically depressing the buttons on the telo unit. For example, when my phone indicates that there is a pending voicemail, can I dial a special sequence to check the voicemail?

4) In general, the call quality is quite good. However, I've noticed that when I dial in to certain 800 numbers for my employer, the quality degrades. I know that those 800 numbers are not international. They are handled by my employer's call centers in US. I do not know if anyone can help me with this one. Just wanted to report this to this community and share my experience.

5) Why is Call Forwarding a Premium feature? I understand that Ooma wants to sell their premium package. But Call Forwarding is an essential service and should be included in the basic package. Is there a forum to voice this to Ooma?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
#59357 by tommies
Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:43 pm
asterix4 wrote:I've been using the Telo for last 3 weeks now. Overall I'm quite impressed by the device and call quality (in general). I've decided to dump my cable digital phone and have initiated the number porting process. I've the following issues though. Will appreciate if someone can help me out.

SETUP:
* Cable Modem -> Ooma Telo -> Router
* Telo allows only one IP over DHCP. That IP (172.27.35.10) gets assigned to the Router.
* Router is in the DMZ for Telo
* I use a Panasonic cordless 5Ghz phone set with multiple extensions
* SW rev for Telo is 1.37410


Issues:
1) Call Wait Call Id does not work. When I get the second call, I can hear a beep, but the Caller Id does not show up. I did search the forums and there are some people who can make it work. Can you please help me make it work. I need to be on long conf calls for my work and I need to get the Caller Id for calls I end up missing while I'm busy.

Call waiting CID works for me on my Panasonic Dect 6.0 (9300) and Uniden (1588). However, CID with name is not fully functional. A T-Mobile # CID shows up correctly on the Panasonic but not on the Uniden, and a ATT # shows correctly on the Uniden but not on the Panasonic.

2) When a call goes in to call waiting, the first call gets interrupted by beeps. That is normal. However, the call quality of the first call degrades a lot while getting beeps for the call in call waiting. I could not hear what the person on the other end (of the first call) was saying at all. This has happened three times.

It does not happen to me, maybe you should try it with a corded phone to see if the phone indeed not the problem before looking for solution on the telo.

3) When I get a voicemail, the phone handsets indicate that there is a new voicemail message. However, I can not retrieve the voicemail from the handsets. I understand that. The voice mail is not stored on the phone system. I'm wondering if there is a way to still retrieve the voicemail with out physically depressing the buttons on the telo unit. For example, when my phone indicates that there is a pending voicemail, can I dial a special sequence to check the voicemail?

Dial your own phone number from any phone that connected to telo's PHONE port, or if you have telo handset, press the 'Mail' button.

4) In general, the call quality is quite good. However, I've noticed that when I dial in to certain 800 numbers for my employer, the quality degrades. I know that those 800 numbers are not international. They are handled by my employer's call centers in US. I do not know if anyone can help me with this one. Just wanted to report this to this community and share my experience.

This is hit & miss, You need to keep a log of called numbers + time + duration of the calls to 800 numbers and call CR, request to be elevated to lever 2 (or PM some of the ooma mod in this forum). You need to be patient and persistent to have this issue resolve.

5) Why is Call Forwarding a Premium feature? I understand that Ooma wants to sell their premium package. But Call Forwarding is an essential service and should be included in the basic package. Is there a forum to voice this to Ooma?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

I had read that only the forwarding on network outage will be included with the basic package, However, I don't know where this issue is stand right now, nor the ETA will be. Sure you can rise the issue again, in the Suggestions and General Discussion forum.
#59369 by asterix4
Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 pm
Tommies - Thanks for your reply. Please see my comments on the two points listed below.

1) Call Wait Call Id does not work. When I get the second call, I can hear a beep, but the Caller Id does not show up. I did search the forums and there are some people who can make it work. Can you please help me make it work. I need to be on long conf calls for my work and I need to get the Caller Id for calls I end up missing while I'm busy.

@tommies - My phone is a one year old Panasonic 5Ghz cordless phone. Is there anything I need to do to make it work?
Also, if I do not take the second call, I can never find out who called. The CallerId (for the call-waiting call) is not indicated on the phone, neither does the call appear as a missed call (or under any other category) in the call logs in the Telo menu. This is certainly a big issue for me. I wish I had found this one before I started the port..

2) When a call goes in to call waiting, the first call gets interrupted by beeps. That is normal. However, the call quality of the first call degrades a lot while getting beeps for the call in call waiting. I could not hear what the person on the other end (of the first call) was saying at all. This has happened three times.

@tommies - I've been using this phone for a while and this issue does not exist when I put the same cordless phone on to my cable box. I still have it since my number is being ported over. So that eliminates the phone. The only thing that has changed is the Telo device.
#59509 by asterix4
Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:06 pm
Yes I have seen that thread and other threads related to this topic as well.

1) Can OOMA support provide a response on when CW CID will work?

2) Also if the call in call waiting is not picked up, why does the OOMA Telo not store the CallerId for the missed call in it's records?? It could be a huge issue for people who need to take long conference calls (like me) and can not be interrupted during those calls.
#59510 by murphy
Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm
If you don't want to be interrupted during a call, turn on privacy mode before you make the call. All incoming calls should go straight to voice mail.
#59524 by asterix4
Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:09 pm
@murphy - I appreciate your suggestion. How do I turn on the privacy mode ?

I'll still like to get a date by which CW CID will be available to users from OOMA Support. Is anyone from OOMA Support listening?
#59548 by murphy
Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:15 am
asterix4 wrote:@murphy - I appreciate your suggestion. How do I turn on the privacy mode ?

I'll still like to get a date by which CW CID will be available to users from OOMA Support. Is anyone from OOMA Support listening?

Push and hold the envelope key until it turns red. Use the same procedure to turn it off.
This is primarily a user to user forum. Ooma moderators do read messages on a sporadic basis but none of them have this as their primary job.
#59556 by DTMF
Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:49 am
asterix4 wrote:I'll still like to get a date by which CW CID will be available to users from OOMA Support. Is anyone from OOMA Support listening?

I would infer that the lack of response means that fixing this feature is either not very high up in the fixes queue right now or dependent on another fix or another enhancement that is in some stage of development without a projected end date.

It's not a dealbreaker to me, since I use Premier and Multi-Ring. If I'm using Ooma Line 1, any additional calls will roll over to my wireless phone where I can see the CID data. :cool:
#59617 by tommies
Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:22 pm
murphy wrote:
asterix4 wrote:@murphy - I appreciate your suggestion. How do I turn on the privacy mode ?

I'll still like to get a date by which CW CID will be available to users from OOMA Support. Is anyone from OOMA Support listening?

Push and hold the envelope key until it turns red. Use the same procedure to turn it off.
This is primarily a user to user forum. Ooma moderators do read messages on a sporadic basis but none of them have this as their primary job.

Do Not Disturb (or Privacy mode) is a premier feature. If you want it, you need to sign up for premier after 2 months trial over.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests