This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#59001 by oomax
Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 am
I just signed up for Ooma using a Hub. I am concerned about the call quality and was hoping there is a setting that can make my call quality closer to a Telco (full sounding like I am calling next door). Currently people have told me my calls sound like long distance calls used to sound a long time ago. Or like I'm on a cell phone speakerphone. Its kind of tinny & distant in the sound. I hear the same "long distance" sound on my end. Also, I have heard echo of my voice several times on calls.

Is there an update that needs to be downloaded because this is a new device?
Can anyone help with these issues?

My hookup is cable modem - Ooma - Router - computers. Here is a breakdown of my connection:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5561208 bps
Upload speed: 5040208 bps
Download quality of service: 93 %
Upload quality of service: 95 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 65 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 38 ms
Average round trip time to server: 39 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 48000000bps
Route concurrency: 8.631218
Download TCP forced idle: 74 %
Maximum route speed: 13796840bps
#59388 by bw1
Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:51 am
You shouldn't have any problems with those numbers. Have you tried a different phone?
Is there any other congestion on your network when you make calls?
#59397 by oomax
Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:43 am
I have tried other phones in the house with no fix. None have had problems with other phone services, only with Ooma. The only thing new is the Ooma. There is no congestion I know of on the network. No computers are running when I make the call so no other devices are trying to use the network at the same time. I appreciate the suggestion, I'm willing to try anything.

My guess is this is an Ooma network thing since its the only change in my setup. Plus others in the Call Quality area have started threads about echos. Maybe we are on a bad Ooma relay/server that those with perfect service are not on. Wouldn't it be great if Ooma looked at all the similar complaints and tried to see if there is something in common with the setup or servers (our usernames link us to our Ooma service)? Judging by the lack of support on these forums I won't hold my breath.

Before I bought I always read how Ooma is as good as a landline. My experience, and that of others with echo or distant sound threads, is that Ooma is definitely not on par with a landline. Its good enough to pass as phone service but not nearly as good as a landline.
#59401 by bw1
Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 am
The only time I had any issue with echo, I had to turn the volume down on my phone's handset. The sound coming from the earpiece was entering the microphone.
#59402 by southsound
Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:39 am
When I first got my ooma system about 17 or so months ago, I too had echo on some calls. Others were great. Working with tech support, we tried changing numbers to another area code, using a different phone, etc. Nothing seemed to work so I started keeping a log of calls that were bad - either with echo or poor quality sound. The log contained date and time, phone number of other party, incoming or outgoing, and call quality. I then was able send this information to ooma support. They worked with the termination partner in my area (XO Communications as I recall) and changed some routing and echo cancellation settings. The techs also had me set my QoS differently - I have Qwest DSL at 1.5 down, 768 up. ooma had me set the QoS at 768 up, 384 down. My call quality has been stellar for about 15 months now. No dropped calls, no echo, just full quality voice service. Try keeping a log and see if ooma can use it to improve your situation.
#59415 by oomax
Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 pm
That's a great suggestion. I will keep a log.

Since Ooma already keeps a log of all calls it would be a nice feature to be able to select a call from the online log and put notes about that call. Then support could look at the flagged calls in the log. Sort of like how Google Voice lets you flag a voicemail and send it to their team to improve service. Anyone with bad service can flag a call and let support know their call was subpar.
#59417 by southsound
Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:44 pm
oomax wrote:That's a great suggestion. I will keep a log.

Since Ooma already keeps a log of all calls it would be a nice feature to be able to select a call from the online log and put notes about that call. Then support could look at the flagged calls in the log. Sort of like how Google Voice lets you flag a voicemail and send it to their team to improve service. Anyone with bad service can flag a call and let support know their call was subpar.

Awesome feature request! It would make users more apt to flag calls with poor quality than having to make their own logs and hope they get to the right department. They could even automate use of the data: If x number of ooma users from area code - prefix XXX-XXX were having difficulty it would make it easy for software on their server to alert to a problem with a partner. If the automatic parsing was limited to just the area code and prefix, I don't believe any privacy concerns would be raised.
#59530 by oomax
Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:17 pm
southsound wrote:
oomax wrote:That's a great suggestion. I will keep a log.

Awesome feature request! It would make users more apt to flag calls with poor quality than having to make their own logs and hope they get to the right department. They could even automate use of the data: If x number of ooma users from area code - prefix XXX-XXX were having difficulty it would make it easy for software on their server to alert to a problem with a partner. If the automatic parsing was limited to just the area code and prefix, I don't believe any privacy concerns would be raised.
Maybe if enough of us get on board with this feature request Ooma will build it in. Is there a feature request area for Ooma?

I'm not sure there are any privacy concerns since it would only be Ooma employees looking at calls. I'd guess Ooma IT staff can look at any call right now to make sure things are running smoothly. By flagging a call a customer is giving more information and permission to use their call to research problems. If someone is private they just don't flag any of their own calls.

A system like this could probably head off future network issues before they become widespread.