This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#58473 by Dayvidpriddy
Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:08 pm
If I'm doing anything online (anything that is downloading) and I use my phone, people can not hear me talking but I can hear them. As soon as I stop the download the problem goes away. I have called Ooma to help me figure out what to change my upstream setting to but they are of no help (horrible strong accents that you can't understand, transferring you in circles, etc.)

I understand I'm suppose to do speed tests, I've done them but I still don't understand how to figure out what to set it to. Can someone here who knows what they are talking about just give me a number based on my speed that I'm subscribed to? I'm sick of all this drama with this service...no wonder it's free...support is useless!

The cable package that I have with Comcast is 16MB download/5MB upload. Based on that I'm sure someone here can give me a number to change the default 384 upstream setting to something higher so I can use my phone and be online doing stuff at the same time. I never had these problems with Vonage, VOIP is VOIP so I don't understand why Ooma has all these problems when it works the same way.
#58474 by leejosepho
Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:10 am
Dayvidpriddy wrote:I understand I'm suppose to do speed tests, I've done them but I still don't understand how to figure out what to set it to. Can someone here who knows what they are talking about just give me a number based on my speed that I'm subscribed to?

Not unless your subscription speeds are what you are actually getting, and they likely are not.

I was once told to set my Telo at 80% of the result of my speed test, but I do not know whether doing that will resolve your issue.
#58475 by murphy
Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:21 am
I assume that your Ooma box is ahead of your router. If it's not, post back with details on your hardware configuration.
With those speeds, set both the upload and download QOS to 0 (disabled).
If your upload QOS is still set to 384, you are telling the Ooma box that only 384 is available.
The usual setting is 80% of your measured upstream speed but with those speeds, if you actually get them, QOS is not needed.
#59284 by oom101
Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:12 pm
I have a new hub (installed 1 week ago). I tried QOS settings on my brighthouse turbo (20 M down 2 M up), and leaving the up turned on stopped or limited my upload speed. I am modem - ooma hub - pc.
It turns out that setting my up to 0 and leaving my down at 0 on the setup.ooma.com menu using the pc connected to the ooma, is giving me the best quality calls. I believe the default was set up for adsl, and not high speed lines.
I don't think there is a website I use, including idrive backups that will overtax my connection speed, anyway.
I tried 1,500 up, 2,000 up, 3,000 up, and none seemed as good as 0.
It appears that if you set any value, it limits your internet from the pc to whatever you have set, and fouls call quality.
I have been this way for about a week, and although I'm not a huge file downloader, nor uploader, except on night baackups, I am getting good call quality with 0 down and 0 up. Sometimes it's better to take out limits than to try to limit, I guess.
Good luck!
By the way, you can call your cell phone or work voice mail to listen later to what your call is doing while talking and transferring large files, then play it back.
By the way, also, you should probably do 0 0 when you are modem - router - ooma , also?
It seems to me that priority is better than forced limits. Just my 2 cents.
#59306 by leejosepho
Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:14 am
oom101 wrote:By the way, also, you should probably do 0 0 when you are modem - router - ooma , also?
It seems to me that priority is better than forced limits. Just my 2 cents.

I would guess there are too many variables between installations for one configuration to work best for everyone, but I have difficulty with the idea of routing all traffic through what I perceive as a tunnel. I might see that differently if the Ooma was first a modem that just happened to also be a router and a phone service, but I cannot see how it could possibly handle all other traffic well in every situation while simultaneously trying to serve its own real purpose. So, I will always just have it connected to my hub just like any other device needing internet access, and I agree: "0" is best.
#59379 by oom101
Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:41 pm
Here is my post to aother thread. My ooma core while on a call takes a 30M download, but hisses a bit, and 1.8 up, but the voice gets a little choppy. In fact, now that I think about it, the ooma might not be able to take a huge upload like you mention, but I would try 0 up and 0 down settings. Then modem - router - ooma. Maybe your router will just feed in the packets from the ooma, and the ooma won't have to work so hard, but try 0 up and 0 down there, also.

My repeated speed tests indicate 30m down and 1.9 up with the ooma hub on hook (no call in progress), which is at full speed, now that I set QOS to 0 and 0. It also gets almost that down when I'm on a call, but on the upload side of the test as it hits 1.8 when I am leaving a message to test voice on a cell voicemail, after about 6 seconds of max upload test, voice gets choppy, and upload slows to 1M, but this is fine with me since even my ibackup "cloud" backup does not take the full 2m up, anyway. If you are a heavy up transferrer or on adsl, it might be a problem. I'm on Brighthouse cable MAX Turbo,
which does degrade during heavy user traffic. I'm looking into getting Uverse MAX Plus, I believe they call it. 3M up.
It is a modem/wireless router combo, so I will have to plug the ooma into it, of course.

Since I have no interest in a router at this time, it was a deciding factor that the ooma core had it's own router/pass through, that I even bought it. I.E. You don't need a router to use an ooma system.

I have a new Telo onsite (love American Express Return Protection on Clear, Blue and Gold cards), and can return the hub and/or Telo to AMEXPRESS within 90 days, just paying return shipping.