This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#58333 by kuyan
Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:28 pm
hello. we're encountering this problem with the Ooma Telo Handset.

the Ooma Telo Handset seems to work fine as a normal phone when you put it up to your ear. it's when you turn on the speakerphone, the OTHER caller gets an ECHO of what the OTHER caller is saying. kind of like a feedback echo.

we've lowered the volume on the handset to barely enough to hear anything and the other caller still gets the echo. the Ooma Telo Handset says that it has the latest firmware/software in the handset settings. so we don't know what's happening here.

the Ooma Telo box itself appears to be working fine with all the other wired phones in the house. it's this Ooma Telo Handset when its speakerphone intercom function is turned on that has the echo for anyone else who we're talking to on the phone.

is there a setting that we can set on the Ooma Telo Handset to get rid of this echo? or is this something we can't fix ourselves? like a firmware fix that Ooma is HOPEFULLY working on if there is no fix for this already?

do the Ooma folks read these forum messages? or what is the method for submitting a bug report on this?

this is NOT a super crucial must-get-it-fixed-OR-else-we'll-buy-another-handset issue. but we do want to fix this so my MOM can use the speakerphone intercom function on the Ooma Telo Handset while she is in the kitchen when her hands are full doing something IMPORTANT like, um, you know, cooking.

thanks for your support. have a nice day. :-)
#58680 by bw1
Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:03 am
I haven't noticed since I don't usually use the speakerphone functionality. Unfortunately, this can be an issue with any speakerphone that is full duplex since the output from the speaker can be an input to the microphone.
#87067 by anthonylm
Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:13 am
Sorry for re-starting an old thread but I could not find a response to this problem. Has anyone been experiencing an echo problem when using the speakerphone of the Telo Handset? Is there a way to minimize the problem?

I do not get any echo myself, but when I use the speakerphone, people on the phone immediately complain about the echo (I use the phone to participate in conference calls). I really need the speakerphone because I regularly need to type while I am listening to the phone conversation. The problem is so bad that I mute myself when on speakerphone, and unmute myself whenever I need to say something. If the conversation is very interactive, I cannot use the speakerphone any more. Not ideal!

Any suggestion? Thanks!
#87070 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:14 am
anthonylm wrote:Sorry for re-starting an old thread but I could not find a response to this problem. Has anyone been experiencing an echo problem when using the speakerphone of the Telo Handset? Is there a way to minimize the problem?

I do not get any echo myself, but when I use the speakerphone, people on the phone immediately complain about the echo (I use the phone to participate in conference calls). I really need the speakerphone because I regularly need to type while I am listening to the phone conversation. The problem is so bad that I mute myself when on speakerphone, and unmute myself whenever I need to say something. If the conversation is very interactive, I cannot use the speakerphone any more. Not ideal!

Any suggestion? Thanks!

Try turning the volume of the speaker phone down a little, so that it isn't so loud, but to a volume level where you can still hear it clearly. This should cut down on the feedback which causes the echo.
#87074 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 pm
anthonylm wrote:Thanks - I tried that but it did not fix the problem. People mentioned the echo even when volume was really low (Level 2). Below that I cannot hear people any more. ;)

Next remove power from the Ooma device for 20 minutes. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

If that doesn't work, if you have, or can barrow a corded or cordless phone that has a speaker phone or speaker phone in the base station, and test.
#87093 by anthonylm
Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:38 am
Thanks for the instructions.

I disconnected the Ooma for 20 minutes and reconnected. I tested again and the problem still happens with my Ooma handset. I tried this with various configurations: Ooma handset on the cradle, Ooma handset on a desk or in my hand. The echo is always there (I do not get any echo - only people on the phone get the echo).

I then tried with a Uniden 5.8 GHz handset and it works like a charm. You may say - "well - use the Uniden phone". The problem is that I have 2 lines and I use the Uniden handsets for "home" usage (i have several handsets in various rooms). I use the Ooma handset to activate the second line for my home office and I dedicated a number to my Ooma handset.

Thanks for the help so far! :)
#87094 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:56 am
anthonylm:

It appears that the probem is with the Ooma Telo Handset.

I wonder if resetting the Ooma Telo handset would help?

To reset the ooma hand set.
1. Turn off the HS by press & hold the End/Red button
2. Press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. Turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. Let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode, so you may have to re-registor the handset to the Ooma Telo.

If this don't work, contact customer service:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

I believe there is a one year warranty on the Ooma Telo Handsets.