This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#57894 by mstalker
Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:28 pm
My situation sounds different than the "Disconnecting Calls" thread at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7696 so I'm making a new topic.

Sometimes my calls go fine. Other times, after talking for 10-15 minutes, I get disconnected suddenly and I hear the Ooma dialtone. Last time, I noticed that the Ooma device started blinking red a few seconds before I got disconnected. The first time it happened, I also saw that the Ooma device was blinking red. I don't know if it started blinking before or after I got disconnected that time, though. I took someone's advice and did a VoIP quality test, and here are the results:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 650848 bps
Upload speed: 116864 bps
Download quality of service: 83 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 149 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 88 ms
Average round trip time to server: 93 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 680000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0447907
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 5957720bps

My ISP is Time Warner Cable.

Any suggestions?
#57896 by murphy
Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:53 pm
What speeds are you paying for?
650K down and 116K up seem way too slow for a cable connection.
#57899 by leejosepho
Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:49 pm
Six months ago, my first Telo did just fine at 768/128 until it and my modem somehow got fried at the same time. A computer doing a download would sometimes knock the Telo offline even if not on a call, but I know those speeds to be just fine for the Telo itself unless something has significantly changed since I first got one.
#58398 by whkana
Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:11 pm
Ooma just dropped 2 calls consecutively for me - one dropped in about 15 minutes, and the second one dropped by 2:30. Called tech support, ran pingtest.com, and the jitter was all over the map (1 ms to 20 ms, mostly about 9ms), but when I ran http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html, jitter dropped below 1ms - usually about 0.1~0.4 ms.)

According to http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html, my voip's QOS is mostly Green /94~99% (3 out of 5) /or "yellow" / 60% (2 out of 5)

In any case, Ooma blamed it on the AT&T modem. After calling AT&T, and got transferred to 5 different people (dropped call on a landline, no less), AT&T has agreed to shipped a new modem (per Ooma's suggestion as a fix to lower the jitter to below 5 ms).

I was just wondering: did I just spend a whopping 90 minutes trying fix Ooma's BS? Or is there really an issue with DSL's jitter?
#58551 by mstalker
Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:55 am
@whkana - I'm not sure how much your jitter was the problem. I've seen some charts that say voip is unusable if your jitter is bad enough, but I don't know if 20ms would drop your call or not.

I spoke with Ooma, and they said my internet connection is too slow. I plan on upgrading with my internet service provider.

A weird thing is that calls usually drop right around 15 minutes. Does anyone have any ideas why they'd drop at that time, and not before or after?
#65403 by osuna92
Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:37 am
I have this issue too. No call lasts beyond exactly 15minutes. Seems to be a network setting. I submitted an email request for help, but did not receive acknowledgment.

Can someone from OOMA please respond? Is anyone else having this consistent behavior?
#65404 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:08 am
If haven't already, a few things you can look into.

Do the following VoIP Quality Test, go to the "advanced" tab to see the result:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

If cable modem, connect to the status page of your cable modem and check a few things:

http://192.168.100.1

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV.

The Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) should be 35 or more.

The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.

Use Built in Modem Port MAC Address instead of Automatic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8045
#65420 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:58 am
Not sure why calls are dropping after 15 minutes but using built in MAC address for modem port would optimize your ooma setup and the other couple of things would check to see the health of your internet service.