This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#57560 by gwwooley
Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:34 pm
I have just started having echo the last few weeks, but it is so bad that you can barely carry on a conversation. You have to pause regularly to prevent talking over each other. I have Verizon FiOS service - 25 Mbps up and down so bandwidth is not a problem. My setup is this ...

FiOS -> ActionTec MI424WR Router
MI424WR -> Linksys 5-port switch -> PCs & Xboxes
MI424WR -> Netgear 8-port switch -> Telo, Vonage, HP LaserJet 3390, HP Laptop, Sprint AirRave (femtocell)
MI424WR -> HP Laptop

I ran the VoIP quality & connectivity test and got this ...

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 21569448 bps
Upload speed: 4924504 bps
Download quality of service: 92 %
Upload quality of service: 78 %
Maximum TCP delay: 43 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 57 ms
Average round trip time to server: 58 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 37600000bps
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Number of VoIP lines supported: 240

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

I don't really see a problem here but I may be missing something ... I have problems on all calls it seems, so it doesn't appear to be related to what I'm connecting to. Any ideas? thx ... gww
#58130 by debs0917
Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:32 am
My phone has the echo too...I have had OOMA a couple of years never had this problem before - now every call on every phone I have has the echo. Started on Tuesday 6/15 - doesn't matter what phone I use. I have no idea about the numbers you are posting - just want the echo to stop. Phone service shouldn't be this hard! :?:
#59198 by gwwooley
Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:02 pm
After carefully monitoring the calls I make and where echo is a problem, it looks like it is related to specific numbers. One number (my parents in a rural town) ALWAYS has the problem and is my major compaint at this point. Anyone know how to get Ooma to look at the problem, most likely the local phone company's problem? Surely not tech support, they are pretty useless - they just read what's already on the website! :?:
#59216 by murphy
Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:05 am
gwwooley wrote:After carefully monitoring the calls I make and where echo is a problem, it looks like it is related to specific numbers. One number (my parents in a rural town) ALWAYS has the problem and is my major compaint at this point. Anyone know how to get Ooma to look at the problem, most likely the local phone company's problem? Surely not tech support, they are pretty useless - they just read what's already on the website! :?:

Unless you give Ooma support the date, time, time zone, call duration, your number, and number called there is nothing that they can do about it. Without that information they would be looking for a needle in a haystack.

Are your parents using a speaker phone?
#59218 by leejosepho
Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:37 am
gwwooley wrote:After carefully monitoring the calls I make and where echo is a problem, it looks like it is related to specific numbers...

I do not have an echo, but my "worst" connection is always at the same number and when cordless phones are being used at both ends.