This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#57528 by Cheerymonkey
Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 am
I don't understand these stats, but I see QOS is only 40% - am I stuck with that since I'm stuck in a contract with Qwest DSL?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 129.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 666960 bps
Upload speed: 533720 bps
Download quality of service: 40 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 877 ms
Average download pause: 46 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 109 ms
Average round trip time to server: 122 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 960000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4393667
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 4809904bps
#57534 by murphy
Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:48 am
Cheerymonkey wrote:Can I fix that? Would upgrading to Premier help?

I have called Ooma support several times today but keep getting disconnected. Talk about a Catch-22 - I cannot call them to fix my calls. :P

Your problem is an ISP problem. Ooma can't fix it.

Jitter: server --> you: 129.0 ms (should be less than 5 ms)
Download quality of service: 40 % (should be 80% or higher)
Maximum TCP delay: 877 ms (should be less than 100 ms)

Are you on a budget level of DSL?
If you are, Quest is probably doing this on purpose to slow your connection down.
#57542 by southsound
Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 pm
Cheerymonkey wrote:Ugh, no I'm on their best /fastest package they offer. $60 a month. But I do hate them...maybe this is their vengeance for cancelling my phone service?

Just a couple of questions:
- What are the advertised speeds of your DSL connection? (from my experience, you should be able to obtain at least 80%)
- What kind of modem are you using?
- How is your modem connected? If it is to the same connections as you used for your phone before, are you trying to feed dialtone over your home's wiring?
- Are you using any "microfilters" or DSL filters anywhere?
- Do you have a Walmart nearby? (they carry the Qwest branded modems and offer a moneyback policy - great for testing to see if it is the modem).
- Do your speeds vary greatly?

I had a problem with Qwest some time ago. We live on an island in Puget Sound that is served from Shelton. Qwest customer support told me everthing was OK on their end. I persisted with logs of my speeds with the old and new modem. Turns out 3 of the 4 trunks that serve DSL to our Remote Terminal Equipment (RTE - it's that box that Qwest added when they made DSL available). The problem was affecting the entire base of folks using that RTE but nobody notice except me. They discovered this after sending out a technician. Before I let him in the house, I got his assurance that I would not be billed for the repair. He read my logs, connected his equipment, had me test with my laptop while on a call with the CO. In a couple of hours, things were great again.
#57544 by Cheerymonkey
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:04 pm
I should be getting 3.0, clearly I'm nowhere near.
I have the ActionTec modem, same setup as always. No filters. My Ooma has always been problematic. Every so often when I have time I like to investigate again, if there's anything I can do. But I'm sure you're all correct that the problem is with Qwest. Sigh.