This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#57496 by kd13
Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:13 am
I have had voip before. This is my third company. My last company was AT&T. The sound quality was perfection and I never had a moment of problems. It was EXACTLY the quality of my land line.

Like a fool, I purchased Ooma thinking I would save money. Do they offer good quality calls? NO! Do they work on improving their service? My guess is yes, because of the number of offers to PURCHASE improved service quality, I receive and which are promised for the future.

Does that sound right to you?
From a company that says buy OOMA and your monthly payments are over. Sure the monthly payments are over. Instead you get payments, huge ones, every other month to improve the service to the quality level it should be at the start.
This SUCKS big time!
A company should set the price and then offer the best possible service that is available. They should NOT continuously offer upgrades at the customers expense. The upgrades should be THEIR cost of doing business.
I am not happy with this service in the least. I don't know about you guys but, when I figure I have amortized the value of this junk service I will jump ship.

Very unhappy customer.

kd13
#57506 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 am
ooma sound quality is exceptional for me and countless others here. So, what you're experiencing is the exception and not the norm.

What kind of internet service do you have? People say that if you have lower tiered internet service (cable internet lite for example), you get high jitter values so VoIP wouldn't work very good.

Check out a few things (you might even want to post text version of your results here): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8159#p57483
#57604 by Davesworld
Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:50 am
kd13 wrote:I have had voip before. This is my third company. My last company was AT&T. The sound quality was perfection and I never had a moment of problems. It was EXACTLY the quality of my land line.

Like a fool, I purchased Ooma thinking I would save money. Do they offer good quality calls? NO! Do they work on improving their service? My guess is yes, because of the number of offers to PURCHASE improved service quality, I receive and which are promised for the future.

From a company that says buy OOMA and your monthly payments are over. Sure the monthly payments are over. Instead you get payments, huge ones, every other month to improve the service to the quality level it should be at the start.
This SUCKS big time!
A company should set the price and then offer the best possible service that is available. They should NOT continuously offer upgrades at the customers expense. The upgrades should be THEIR cost of doing business.
I am not happy with this service in the least. I don't know about you guys but, when I figure I have amortized the value of this junk service I will jump ship.

Very unhappy customer.

kd13

There aren't that many upgrades. Premium is ONE upgrade that includes many features in it already. None of the upgrades improve the quality but rather, add features.

As far as voice quality, jitter and packet loss will kill your quality. Ooma is sensitive to jitter. PureVoice which is packet redundancy should solve packet loss issues. Very long latency will induce voice lag.
#57726 by jakeman02
Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:16 pm
In your way of thinking I'm also a fool but in my case I'm a fool saving money while experiencing very good quality calls. They do work on improving service as they send updates and those are included, not charged for. They do offer extra features and services like the premier package and international long distance minutes for an extra cost which is probably what your referring to. I've never received an offer charging for improved service quality, so I have no clue where you came up with that one.

You can be unhappy with the service and jump ship if you wish, that's your right but your situation is an exception rather than the norm. If you are interested improving the service your getting there are more productive ways to figure things out and improve results rather than a bashing post that doesn't give any details other than you were happier with your previous service. There are many resources and people here in the forums and cs to help if your interested but will need more details.

I've tried several VOIP services also and find ooma to be among if not the best in call quality so I see no reason you shouldn't be as happy with the call quality as you were with your previous service. Providing your willing to spend a little time and give some information to help figure out what's going on. At least give it a shot, you've already got the equipment, so nothing to loose and everything to gain.
#57727 by southsound
Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 pm
kd13 wrote:I have had voip before. This is my third company. My last company was AT&T. The sound quality was perfection and I never had a moment of problems. It was EXACTLY the quality of my land line.

This SUCKS big time!

Very unhappy customer.

kd13

My experience is just the opposite. I have been an ooma customer since DSL became available on our island about 15 months ago. I am an old telco employee so I know what a good phone call should sound like - and in the beginning, I was not getting the quality I wanted. My thread on wanting a normal telephone experience is still referenced by many. I knew that ooma was not as old and "perfected" as the telco I'd worked for in the past - but I found that the technology and even more important, the people, would enable me to gain satisfaction at a much lower cost than my previous landline. I worked hard to present the information that helped ooma make my service "stellar". I kept logs, did a lot of test calls, and even recieved calls from ooma management who assured me that their desire was to make me happy. For about 14 months now, I have NO complaints. I have migrated from my beloved hub/scout "core" package to the Telo because I liked the prospect of new technology that would be available to the Telo but not the hub because of hardware and software limitations. Many of those new features have not impressed me. I still like my Uniden 1580 handsets better than the Telo handset - but it does offer some very compelling features. I've used Google Voice as a front-end to my landline, hub, and Telo since last summer and personally don't find an advantage to GVE. But I have had GREAT - in fact, STELLAR - phone service through ooma. I recently was able to discontinue the Choice feature package I had through Qwest and now have ALL my calls going through my Telo. I still have my landline for financial reasons (cheaper to keep it than to pay the surcharge for no landline through Qwest) but I prefer the Telo. I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience - but yours is NOT the norm. Most people who have ooma LOVE it. And if the are having problems and come here we can help them get the same awesome service we do. Of course, YMMV. :cool:
#57774 by da-cam
Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:56 am
I don't know about the upgrades for quality, but I too have had terrible call quality that is mostly related to Jitter. Ooma doesn't care and AT&T (DSL service) only looks at down and upload speeds. I may also jump ship when the return on investment makes sense.