This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#57855 by tommies
Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:54 pm
I would negotiate with suddenLink for a free try out, ie if I cancel the service with in 2-3 weeks, there will be no charge.

For cable service, you don't have much control on the modem, regardless whether you rent or own the modem. Basically, it's just a plug and play little 'back box'. You need your own router here, and a good router is always a good investment regardless what service you have at time.

For cable broadband quality, the coaxial cable itself plays an important role. The outside (and buried) cable need to be RG-11. It's help if you are around when the technician come and install, just ask he/she to measure the signal strengh at the tap/box and at entry into the house. The two readings should be the same. If there is a drop off at the house entry, you should demand the line to be replace with new RG-11 cable, otherwise the quality will be suffered.

PS.
$10/month for modem is rather high, Comcast charge me $5/month, and their modem has backup battery installed.
#57857 by leejosepho
Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:44 pm
Useful info there, and I thank you! I will give them another call in the morning and ask some more questions with the thought of a trial period in mind ... and I intend to wait and see what the installer might have to say about any particular modem. Radio Shack is just down the road here with a Motorola SURFboard® SB6120 for $100.00, and I can easily go get one of those in a matter of minutes if I do not like whatever the installer might bring along for $75.00. Or, I could use a rental for a month to get a feel for things and decide after that. But yes, a separate router or hub -- Is there a difference?! -- is definitely the plan here. I already have a couple of 10/100s, but no wireless ability.
#57858 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:50 pm
leejosepho wrote:
lbmofo wrote:I for one don't see the benefit of the "dedicated" DSL when it is always slow. Especially when it is giving you almost 300ms of TCP delay; that kind of latency is definitely not acceptable.

Not to argue, but to learn ...

What is the harm of that TCP delay? My overall speed averages out well, and I have yet to see any packet loss.

Either way, however, I am going to at least find out what cable is available here where I live.

I suppose the delay being long translates to you/other party hearing things that much later. 300ms is almost 1/3 of a second; a long time.

Here is what the whichvoip site says:

Delay- Usually measured in milliseconds. Obviously the longer the delay the more difficult a conversation becomes. Anything under 100ms is good. The ITU recommend that one way delay should not exceed 400ms for acceptable speech quality.
#57859 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:53 pm
I think $100 for a cable modem is kind of high. You can search for brand new docsis 2.0 modem for $50 something or less. Moto SB5101 for example. docsis 3.0 modems are more; depends on if you want latest and greatest for future growth.
#57860 by leejosepho
Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:56 pm
lbmofo wrote:I suppose the delay being long translates to you/other party hearing things that much later. 300ms is almost 1/3 of a second; a long time.

Ah, got it! I was only thinking of the delay ultimately helping to assure zero packet loss and I never made the logical conection to the noticeable delay my wife and I experienced while test-calling ourselves (Ooma to landline and vice-versa) while side-by-side right here in the house!
#57861 by leejosepho
Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:01 pm
lbmofo wrote:I think $100 for a cable modem is kind of high. You can search for brand new docsis 2.0 modem for $50 something or less. Moto SB5101 for example. docsis 3.0 modems are more; depends on if you want latest and greatest for future growth.

The future is definitely part of my thought there, but yes, I do know where to get a 2.0 for about $50.00. In the morning I plan to ask suddenLink about speeds and protocols or whatever, then figure out what is most prudent.
#57898 by leejosepho
Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:39 pm
Update:

I called suddenLink to see what my cable speeds should be after I get connected next week, and I had unknowingly signed up for the same 1.5/256 I presently have with AT&T DSL ... so I cancelled the installation. I had done my research beforehand and had not found any mention of such a slow connection, and the sales rep who took my order said nothing at all about different plans!

There is no other cable available here where I happen to live, so I will just have to set my new $45.00 Motorola off to the side for a while and live with what I have.
#60646 by leejosepho
Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:00 am
I just found this at another site I frequent:

Comcast advertises high speeds but they accomplish these speeds by nano-second bursts of extremely high speeds followed by long periods of no speed. The speed graph looks like a picture of the Himalayas!

That is exactly what I sometimes get with AT&T, and now maybe I know why!