This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#57479 by leejosepho
Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:21 pm
Here are the result of a test just a few minutes ago, and this is with a configuration of 2Wire 2701HG-B modem -> Telo -> computer:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.6 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1250072 bps
Upload speed: 187184 bps
Download quality of service: 96 %
Upload quality of service: 62 %

Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 249 ms
Average download pause: 10 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 70 ms
Average round trip time to server: 71 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1280000bps
Route concurrency: 1.023941
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 7489712bps

Question 1) If I understand correctly, the TCP delay is something my *computer* experiences but not necessarily the Telo?

Question 2) What would affect my "Download quality of service"? It was fine in this test, but it sometimes runs as low as 20% and it averages around 60% ... and that means "sound is likely to be broken".

I have talked with an AT&T CS tech who made an honest effort to be helpful but did not really know why I get that kind of fluctuation.

Any suggestions?

Note: My modem does not have QOS settings, and my tests come out the same both with and without the Telo connected.

As an aside: My Telo is still resetting itself every few minutes even when idle, and I have been told a replacement is on its way.
#57664 by leejosepho
Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:10 pm
Update:

I have improved my speeds just a bit by setting AT&T's 2Wire modem aside in favor of my tweaked Westell 6100 I had previously used with Verizon, and now AT&T is going to send a technician out tomorrow to see whether anything can be done about the download speed fluctuations and resulting jitter coming to the house. Over these past few days I have spent a lot of time trying different connection configurations and wires and cables ... and I even went so far as to run a phone cord all the way out to my "Network Interface Device" (the NID I call a "demark box") and bypass my house wiring altogether. No change. My upload speed is always fairly consistent, but my download speed is often all over the place within just a few seconds of testing no matter what. So, hopefully tomorrow the tech will find a bad connection or wire outside somewhere ... and I learned about that possibility and how to eliminate all others and get someone to check by reading other people's posts here on the forum.
#57741 by leejosepho
Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:45 am
Well, the technician called and we talked a bit and then he came out and checked something at the pole and came on in and let me show him my concern ... then he went back out to the pole for a bit and came back and connected his notebook with its diagnostic modem and showed me his screen-full of numbers and ran speedtest.net and pingtest.net and talked with me for several minutes, explaining many things. Overall, I tend to accept his statements that my connection is fine and that AT&T does not offer VOIP because the technology still needs further development.

I am only a mile from the CO, and there is no bridge sending the signal on past me. There are no open, dead-end wires (party line) connected to my line.

Women who are pregnant or people with heart conditions should not fly or ride roller coasters, and bumps in the road are part of life and VOIP needs to be able to deal with them.
#57772 by da-cam
Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:52 am
I have AT&T DSL and the tech, when I finally got one out to the house said basically the same thing. He replaced my older 2wire with the "newer" model, 2701 and, as long as non of my home computers run off site back up, the service is ok, but often has problems. I found high Jitter to the be biggest trouble issue and no one (Ooma or AT&T) will address it.

We are close to going back to traditional phone service that was 99.9% reliable as apposed to Ooma, 70%.
#57778 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:19 pm
For those of you considering going back to traditional landline and rewarding your phone company more $ for providing crappy DSL service....

Why not dump the DSL and go with Cable Internet? I think it will be cheaper than DSL + Phone service and you get 10 times faster interent.
#57802 by leejosepho
Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:44 pm
da-cam wrote:I found high Jitter to the be biggest trouble issue and no one (Ooma or AT&T) will address it.

Do you have any idea what it might take to do so? The tech who came here was at least willing to try or he would not have spent so much time outside in this Louisiana heat and humidity checking connections.

lbmofo wrote:Why not dump the DSL and go with Cable Internet?

I have heard it can be even more troublesome during peak hours.

Overall, here is an interesting article:

http://www.myconnectionserver.com/white ... sults.html
#57805 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 pm
My cable company doesn't have a good reputation (Broadstripe); they suck according to most subscribers.

I am supposed to get 16mbps/2mbps; for the most part I get that. During peak hours, I may get 10mbps/1.5mbps; sometimes a bit less. However, I get great jitter values; rarely above 5ms and my max TCP delay seldom goes above 100ms.

People say DSL is better because it is dedicated and you dont' have to worry about the rest of the neighborhood jumping on internet. Well, at peak hours, I still get almost 10x the speed of your download speed; even my upload is more than your download at peak. I for one don't see the benefit of the "dedicated" DSL when it is always slow. Especially when it is giving you almost 300ms of TCP delay; that kind of latency is definitely not acceptable.
#57821 by leejosepho
Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:37 am
lbmofo wrote:I for one don't see the benefit of the "dedicated" DSL when it is always slow. Especially when it is giving you almost 300ms of TCP delay; that kind of latency is definitely not acceptable.

Not to argue, but to learn ...

What is the harm of that TCP delay? My overall speed averages out well, and I have yet to see any packet loss.

Either way, however, I am going to at least find out what cable is available here where I live.
#57829 by leejosepho
Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:56 am
Okay, so maybe somebody can help me out here ...

suddenLink will give me cable broadband (sans modem) for $1.00 more per month than I am presently paying AT&T, and I see that as a good deal after comparing the great speed and quality differences ... but I know nothing at all about cable modems. So ...

Option 1: suddenLink will let me either rent ($10) or purchase ($75) a regular modem (likely Motorola or Ambit) I can use with my Telo and LAN.
Option 2: suddenLink will let me rent ($10) their SMC wireless modem/router and provide tech support for it, including remote access for settings and tweaks.
Option 3: I can purchase my own modem of either type from wherever I like and be on my own with it.

I would rather make a purchase than pay a monthly rental, but I have no idea what moden I should buy.

Any suggestions?

My setup will ultimately (just as now) have my Telo connected to my router/LAN just like any other device, but ported through/past any modem's firewall if it has one.