This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#57431 by OomaTEC
Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:07 pm
I have been very satisfied with Ooma for the last couple months. Even when having conversations on all 3 hubs at the same time, quality was fine. In the last week the QoS for OUTGOING calls to certain area codes is horrible. If the caller calls me from the number I tried calling, quality is fine. If I call a toll free number, quality is fine. Call to my local exchange and at least one outside my exchange, I get problem listed above. Ooma is trying to tell me it is my ISP and need to increase my bandwidth. When asked about why only OUTGOING calls to certain exchanges, same answer. This does not make sense to me. Looking for answers.

Stats:
ATT DSL Elite, speedtest averages = 5.0Mbs DL, .60 UL
DLink dsl2540B integrated modem/router
3 Hubs (no scouts) connected to router
Hubs QoS currently set to 514 UL, 0 DL
8 port switch (connected to computers only, Ooma is connected to the router/modem)
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5132984 bps
Upload speed: 657296 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 9 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 22 ms
Average round trip time to server: 22 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5132984bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 23830904bps

I have done everything Ooma TS has recommended with the same results. Including but not limited to:
Shutting off all computers connected to the switch.
Adjusting Ooma Qos (we have tried everything from 384 to 600 UL and 0 to 200 DL)
Only having 1 Hub in the system
Resetting router/modem (several times)
#57522 by WayneDsr
Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:18 am
I'm not seeing anything that could cause a problem with your system.
However if you have your hubs plugged into your router (behind the router) adjusting QOS in any hub will not make a bit of difference since the router controls the network.

I'm going to guess that it could be an issue with one or more of Ooma's partners. If you only get the issue to certain numbers, record the time and the number and send one of our moderators the information. They may be able to track down the weak point in your connection.

Wayne
#59865 by OomaTEC
Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:39 pm
It's been a little over a month since my original post and quality is improved (sometimes) and worse others. Now I am getting a lot of static and some disconnects.

I have made quite an investment in Ooma and at this time am not very satisfied with the results. A big problem is lack of quality customer support. My case went to "level two" tech support and they walked me through setting the QoS in the hub (for the fifth time). After reading WayneDsr's reply, adjusting QoS in the hub is a waste of time in my set up.

I could really use some direction here as the system is not reliable, and at times unusable, the way it is.
#59913 by WayneDsr
Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 pm
This is a shot in the dark, but maybe you need to change dns servers. Most have luck with Open DNS.
Manually put the dns entries in your Dlink Router and see if that makes any difference.

First write down the present dns entries in case you want to change back.

Reboot the pc's and the hubs to obtain the new dns.

Wayne
#62842 by OomaTEC
Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:43 am
Thanks WayneDsr. I have been running your recommendation for a few weeks now and quality is better and more consistent.