This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#56951 by AzJazz
Fri May 28, 2010 9:28 pm
It's an awesome concept - really.

I goofed around with my new ooma Bluetooth adapter, pairing it to my Moto Droid and my Jawbone Icon headset.

I did some test calls: I called my brother in another town from my cell phone, and then transferred that call over to my ooma Telo handset. I also called my Droid from my wife's cell phone, and then all the phones connected to the Telo started ringing ... Just like they were supposed to. I did other test calls as well. Pretty cool ... if it wasn't for one minor thing:

The audio on every single test call I have made through the ooma Bluetooth adapter has been totally %#%!# unusable.

VisualWare VoIP speed tests show 7+ Mbps upload, 8+ Mbps download, QoS > 90%, Jitter = 2 msec.

I have tried a lot of times, making calls from every direction. Regardless of what I have tried to do, there is greater than 1 second of delay between what is said on one phone, and when it is heard on the other. In addition, the audio quality is choppy and quite a bit garbled. The slight delay I hear during normal ooma usage is nothing like this.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

AzJazz
#56961 by AzJazz
Sat May 29, 2010 5:47 am
amoney -

Well, putting the Moto RAZR right next the Telo got rid of most of the noise.

However, it did not affect the latency issue at all.

Doing a little more checking, the latency from the ooma Bluetooth'ed RAZR Tx => my cell phone Rx was roughly 1/4 second (acceptable, and typical for the ooma setup).

The bad news is this: The latency from my cellphone Tx => the Bluetooth'ed RAZR Rx was almost 2 seconds! That is totally insane - and of course, totally unusable.

If you are interested in the exact delay amount in each direction, I can run a test later today with an Audacity latency test.

I know that my brother - and my niece - were laughing out loud at how bad the latency was when I called him via my Droid through the Telo (I heard it myself with my voice echo during the call). The audio may only be delayed in one direction, but it is still a huge problem.

Any other suggestions?
#56971 by amoney
Sat May 29, 2010 9:33 am
AzJazz wrote:amoney -

Well, putting the Moto RAZR right next the Telo got rid of most of the noise.

However, it did not affect the latency issue at all.

Doing a little more checking, the latency from the ooma Bluetooth'ed RAZR Tx => my cell phone Rx was roughly 1/4 second (acceptable, and typical for the ooma setup).

The bad news is this: The latency from my cellphone Tx => the Bluetooth'ed RAZR Rx was almost 2 seconds! That is totally insane - and of course, totally unusable.

If you are interested in the exact delay amount in each direction, I can run a test later today with an Audacity latency test.

I know that my brother - and my niece - were laughing out loud at how bad the latency was when I called him via my Droid through the Telo (I heard it myself with my voice echo during the call). The audio may only be delayed in one direction, but it is still a huge problem.

Any other suggestions?

No need for exact numbers, fancy Bluetooth is not all that its cracked up to be, especially taking into account the behavior of some devices just not working well with each other, perhaps you got a bum bluetooth adapter, but before you go reaching for an exchange (depending upon where you buy from and the return period etc I would return for a full refund then get a new adapter so you have a fresh return period), anyways I would first recommend trying linking with another cell phone to see if you can isolate/eliminate other variables.

I have played with other bluetooth toys (such as streaming music from my ipod to my home stereo etc.), and bluetooth performance (I have seen) can vary from device to device. Bluetooth is not an all impressive technology. Your milage may vary phrase I feel applies to this Ooma toy.
#57150 by AzJazz
Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:31 pm
An update:

I think the problem is my wife's Moto RAZR didn't play well with the Bluetooth on the Telo. While audio went through in both directions, the received audio on the RAZR suffered from the painful latency.

When I just used my Droid, the Bluetooth delay wasn't as bad.

Guess I need to get my wife a new smart phone!

AzJazz
#57255 by dklane012
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:51 pm
The performance is definitely phone dependent.

I have several Windows Mobile phones around the house and checked them out - two with WinMo 6.5 and one with 6.1, but not sure if that was the difference or if it was hardware.

Anyway - T-Mobile Touch Pro 2 - DOES NOT work - it pairs, when the phone rings it rings Ooma, when you try and answer, no sound. And when you hang up Ooma, the line never clears. Had to reboot Telo.

AT&T branded HTC Fuze - same as above. Both phones with a Windows Mobile 6.5 build on them.

Palm Treo Pro - WinMo 6.1 device - with BlueTooth patch. Works PERFECTLY - and the people I talk to have no idea I am on this kind of setup, they say it sounds like a good bluetooth headset or the phone itself - awesome.

Now, if my newer Touch Pro 2 would work, I'd be REALLY Happy! Ooma - any idea if you can update this kind of issue?

My wife has a T-Mobile HTC Touch HD2 that I have yet to try