This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#84439 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:33 am
The last time there was an Ooma Telo firmware update, my problem was really reduced. The new Ooma Telo Firmware Update 47785 was supposed to have been started this week. Maybe it will help?

You could try this:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Most important is to take time and report your problems to Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#84487 by sut703
Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:00 am
I powered off my Ooma Telo for 20 minutes, turned it back on, still doesn't have the newest update. Still has the previous version. However, there is nothing in the patch notes indicating it does anything to remedy my issue, so I'm not worried about getting that update yet. In addition to the occasional DTMF tones, I also get a lot of dropped calls, at random intervals, both when speaking to someone on a mobile, and on a land line.

I'm not ready to dump this yet, as I spent $180 on the hardware, and the benefits far outweigh the negative aspects, but it's maddening.
#84492 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 am
sut703 wrote:I powered off my Ooma Telo for 20 minutes, turned it back on, still doesn't have the newest update. Still has the previous version. However, there is nothing in the patch notes indicating it does anything to remedy my issue, so I'm not worried about getting that update yet. In addition to the occasional DTMF tones, I also get a lot of dropped calls, at random intervals, both when speaking to someone on a mobile, and on a land line.

I'm not ready to dump this yet, as I spent $180 on the hardware, and the benefits far outweigh the negative aspects, but it's maddening.

Powering off the Ooma device for 15 minutes doesn't download the latest firmware update. It only allows the Ooma server to reconfigure your profile. Ooma "pushes" the new Ooma Telo firmware according to their schedule.

Dropped calls can often be corrected by turning off MAC address Spoofing.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Also only if your Ooma device is connected (behind) to one of your router LAN ports, reserve a permanent IP address lease (some people call it static IP address) for your Ooma device in your router.
#84497 by sut703
Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:58 am
Modem-->Router-->Ooma

I have the ports for Ooma forwarded and QoS enabled on my router. While I could see the disconnects possibly being reduced, I don't see how the DTMF signals would clear up if I went with the Modem-->Ooma-->Router setup. I'm not sure of the hardware makeup of the Ooma Telo, but if it's anything like the multiple Vonage devices I've had -- that's why I have the Ooma behind the router.

However at this stage, I'm open to justified criticism. It's why we're all here, right? :D
#84500 by murphy
Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 am
sut703 wrote:I've also been getting the DTMF tones, especially when I talk to females. Very annoying. Never got this on Vonage. Not ready to dump it, but it's certainly maddening.

Female voices are more prone to the touchtone problem than male voices are.
The problem has existed as long as touchtones have existed.
The industry name for it is talkoff.

You can read a lot about it by Googling touchtone talkoff

If the problem is occuring on calls that you place, try the following two codecs to see if either has an impact on the problem.

Dial the code before you dial the call.
Dial tone will return after you dial the code.

*96 - Use iLBC Codec

*98 - Use G711 Codec w/o Fax mode
#84504 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:08 am
sut703 wrote:Modem-->Router-->Ooma

I have the ports for Ooma forwarded and QoS enabled on my router. While I could see the disconnects possibly being reduced, I don't see how the DTMF signals would clear up if I went with the Modem-->Ooma-->Router setup. I'm not sure of the hardware makeup of the Ooma Telo, but if it's anything like the multiple Vonage devices I've had -- that's why I have the Ooma behind the router.

However at this stage, I'm open to justified criticism. It's why we're all here, right? :D

No criticism here. Everyone's equipment and needs are different. That's what the challenge is; in trying to get the Ooma device to work with all of the variables out there.

I have my home configuration setup Modem-->Router-->Ooma and it works great.

Concerning the dropped call problem, in the beginning I had dropped calls also. There were three things that I did to stop the dropped calls. After testing I found that I needed all three.

First I change MAC Address from Automatic to Use Built In.

Second I reserved an IP address with a permanent lease for my Ooma device in my router.

Third I put the reserved IP address (or Ooma MAC address) in my router's DMZ.
#85011 by vicw
Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:52 pm
We have FW 47785 installed on the TELO, and are experiencing the keytones pretty often, so that didn't help with this problem. Up til now, I've been attributing it to callers inadvertently brushing against the number keys, but that obviously isn't the case, based on information here.