This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#67879 by dfantasia
Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:30 pm
This just started happening to me today. It happens between OOMA and my ATT cell phone. No other phone calls today had it. Also, the DTMF (Dual Tone Multi-Frequency) tone is the #4. I have my number running through Google voice and both times it turned on voice recording. Hope this helps. I'll continue to monitor to see if the tone changes.

UPDATE -

So this happened again the other day. Google Voice "Beep - Your call is now being recorded". I was talking with my wife and I had read that others were having the same issue as this when talking to their wives. My wife is an amazing singer, so I asked her to sing various notes that she thought would be in the range of the phone. To my surprise, she I heard the phone beep quite a bit. Now that I think about it, I think Google Voice recorded the conversations. :D
Last edited by dfantasia on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#69180 by irish0818
Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:05 pm
So, reading these posts put it into perspective.

We're not paying monthly for Ooma Service, but is that a good reason to simply excuse this behavior? True, it is not the end of the world, but it sure would be nice for it to stop.

This is not nearly as bad as the Telo delay issue that I am waiting for them to resolve since implementing HD voice. :x
#69770 by OomaGirl
Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:08 pm
I've been having this problem too. I use the older Ooma Core (not Telo).

My friend says it's painfully loud, having that sudden tone. Though it's not happening that much, I am still worried I'll be talking to someone else and they'll think I am intentionally being rude. I already had my Ooma hang up on someone (when we were nearing the end of the call, but the person was still talking) and I think they were upset and felt I was being rude.

Wish we could tweak settings to disable that tone generation and fix it.
#69778 by Davesworld
Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:18 pm
irish0818 wrote:So, reading these posts put it into perspective.

We're not paying monthly for Ooma Service, but is that a good reason to simply excuse this behavior? True, it is not the end of the world, but it sure would be nice for it to stop.

This is not nearly as bad as the Telo delay issue that I am waiting for them to resolve since implementing HD voice. :x

No, it does not excuse anything because Ooma is not giving away anything for free. It costs them money to operate, we pay the bills plain and simple. There is no reason to abdicate them of any fault so I disagree with taking an apologistic approach. DTMF talk off can cause many unintended consequences, hopefully not ones where you unintentionally agreed to a charge while on an automated voice menu with some company or inadvertently disarmed an alarm system. Extreme examples to be sure but one has to consider the possibilities.

You really are paying Ooma monthly but most of it is up front. Nobody is getting a free lunch unless Ooma was designed to run out of money and fail which I'm sure is not the intention. The equipment cycle was factored into the business model long ago and it is expected that many consumers will upgrade the old with the new at every cycle so any money on the old unit that Ooma did not have to use to support your habits is profit. It costs Ooma fractions of a penny per minute to their provider for your calls unless it's ooma to ooma. Free for life is just a marketing promise for the life of the unit which is not infinite but rather, preplanned obsolescence.
#70080 by wristwatch
Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:28 pm
Sounds like there is not much Ooma customers can do about this on their end. Just wanted to add that one of the people we call have also reported hearing an occasional 'beeps' during conversations and we are using Ooma Premiere phone service with the Ooma Telo. So far it seems isolated to one phone number that we call to that is a cellular phone, maybe this will change the more we use the service and the more phone numbers we call.
#70188 by matthewn
Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:06 am
Has anyone reported this to customer service and they were able to resolve it? I opened a ticket for this asking that my DTMF be switched to Inband to resolve it and it was submitted to the "technical team", but they have not addressed it yet. I've used many VOIP providers and switching to Inband DTMF always has resolved this problem for me when it occurs.
#70259 by Shawn
Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:26 am
matthewn wrote:Has anyone reported this to customer service and they were able to resolve it? I opened a ticket for this asking that my DTMF be switched to Inband to resolve it and it was submitted to the "technical team", but they have not addressed it yet. I've used many VOIP providers and switching to Inband DTMF always has resolved this problem for me when it occurs.

1) What is inband DTMF
2) Can you do "press 1 if yes and press 2 if no" after the switch?