This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#64723 by johnnysec
Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:19 am
What do we want from a $200 ooma?
Yes the Keypad noise would be nice if it was gone.
My Brother and Mother say that they hear the Beep every now and then
Both say its not a big deal since its not happening every 20 seconds lol.
Now since I know about the Keypad Noise
Whenever I call friends up I will have to tell them that
they might hear a beep every now and then thats not on my part lol.
But as for everyone else who cares if they hear a beep(Credit card companys ECT}
For just paying the Taxes is worth this service(I don't know if magic jack does this?}
I was paying $35 per month for my old Voip phone service(12 month contact and price jumps up too $50 after that}
Then I was going to get Vonage and reading about the horror storys and reading how MOST enjoy the Ooma.I
felt lets give Ooma a try.
I am happy with the service and it will be paid off soon.
As for a few keypad tones,,,I am sure most can live with it............JS
#64725 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:24 am
lbmofo wrote:I've seen people mention this before: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7958

But I haven't experienced it until a couple of days ago. I was talking to the wife and heard the random DTMFs while she was speaking; I told wife not to push phone buttons and she said huh?

It only happened that one time though.

I've had this happen to me 1 more time after this. So 2wice in 6 months. Not a show stopper.
#64727 by Kevin_C
Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:34 am
If this was the case in my situation, I am sure the bit...er complaining at my house would not be as bad, unfortunately it IS happening every few seconds, I guess the wifes voice is just "in that range".

johnnysec wrote:What do we want from a $200 ooma?
Yes the Keypad noise would be nice if it was gone.
My Brother and Mother say that they hear the Beep every now and then
Both say its not a big deal since its not happening every 20 seconds............JS
#64748 by johnnysec
Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:46 pm
maybe it happens more with womens voice.....
I just had a 15 min call and the keypad tone happened with in 20 seconds
but for the other 15 mins on the phone it was FREE of keypad noise....
I was thinking maybe its best if you are going to speak awhile,its best
to get a phone with a Rotary Dial on it next to your other phone.....
You can just dial the number you want with your cordless phone and
after its place then you can use the rotary dial type of phone while speaking.(Only need a phone splitter if that works}
Of if someone calls you you can pickup the Rotary phone but you are not able to dial out.....
Best to have both types of phones if that will work? JS
#64749 by southsound
Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:52 pm
johnnysec wrote:maybe it happens more with womens voice.....
I just had a 15 min call and the keypad tone happened with in 20 seconds
but for the other 15 mins on the phone it was FREE of keypad noise....
I was thinking maybe its best if you are going to speak awhile,its best
to get a phone with a Rotary Dial on it next to your other phone.....
You can just dial the number you want with your cordless phone and
after its place then you can use the rotary dial type of phone while speaking.(Only need a phone splitter if that works}
Of if someone calls you you can pickup the Rotary phone but you are not able to dial out.....
Best to have both types of phones if that will work? JS

Sorry, but this would not help at all. Your PHONE DIALING MECHANISM has nothing to do with it. The tones are (re)created by the VoIP system because they think that the voice is a touchtone so it recreates it. Please read a little further back for a description of VoIP Talkoff and you will see what we mean.
#64789 by nn5i
Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:11 pm
Southsound has it exactly right. Touchtones are pairs of tones occurring simultaneously. Each key on the telephone keypad produces a pair of tones. There are two sets of four tones, eight tones in all. One set of four corresponds to the four columns on a keypad, and the other set of four corresponds to the four rows. Most instruments have only three columns, but others have four, sixteen buttons in all. When you push a key on the keypad, it transmits the two tones corresponding to the row and column that the key is in.

Ooma's equipment detects these pairs when you push a button. Then Ooma's equipment mutes the incoming audio for the duration of the tone, and adds a regenerated tone before sending the signal to the subscriber (you, or the person you're talking to). The purpose is to standardize the intensity, frequency and even the duration of the tone. That is all unnecessary with decent modern keypads, but they do it anyway.

Unfortunately, some people's voices, especially those of women with rich voices, occasionally produce some of these pairs of tones. When they do, Ooma's equipment mutes the incoming audio (the voice), then adds a standard-intensity keytone (pair) to the outgoing audio. This causes annoyance.

Anyway, just as Southsound says, the problem is wholly unrelated to the keypad or other dialing equipment. It could be reduced by installing four narrow filters between the telephone instrument and the Ooma -- four, not eight, because you've only got to eliminate the four row tones or the four column tones and you can leave the other four in -- but that would be expensive because there is no mass market for such equipment. The real solution is for Ooma to turn off its wholly unnecessary detect-mute-regenerate function. Forever.
#64979 by nn5i
Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:32 am
lbmofo wrote:I just saw another poster complain about this. I am wondering if this is more frequent with Telo than Hub?

Of course it is. The Hub does not allow incoming touchtones at all -- so the problem should be apparent only half as often.