This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#99087 by Hop
Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 pm
I've also had my Ooma less than a month and my wife says the other party is complaining about the beeps. I'm also surprised to see the age on this thread.

I'm skeptical that the toroid does much of anything but do have a few laying around. I guess it's worth a shot. Maybe I need to low pass filter my wife's voice using a speaker crossover!

The real solution here sounds like not replacing the tones generated at the phone & to just pass them through unaltered. I'm sure Ooma has a reason. I wish they would post it.
#99088 by 2spirit
Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:35 am
[quote="Hop"]I've also had my Ooma less than a month and my wife says the other party is complaining about the beeps. I'm also surprised to see the age on this thread.

Some help may be on the way with the next firmware update due to arrive within the next few weeks. One item listed is:

> Further reduce likelihood of Telo detecting a digit in the speech stream [13130]
#99094 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 am
Hop, the not so convenient solution might be to replace your phone system. I've seen folks experience this DTMF talkoff a lot more with certain phones than other phones. One other that that may help...this happens more with microphone almost on the mouth. Take the mouth piece of the phone a bit away from the mouth.
#99105 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:53 pm
Morac wrote:For me getting a new phone won't help, since I hear this when other people talk. As far as I'm aware other people don't hear this when I talk.

As far as I know and experienced, this DTMF talkoff is an Ooma send problem (talking) and not a recieve problem (listening). If you hear this from others, it is others' phone carrier problem and not Ooma's.
#99108 by thunderbird
Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm
lbmofo wrote:As far as I know and experienced, this DTMF talkoff is an Ooma send problem (talking) and not a recieve problem (listening). If you hear this from others, it is others' phone carrier problem and not Ooma's.

The above statement doesn't make sense.

The DTMF tones heard by one party or the other, during a conversation, are generated by one of the people's voice that is talking. The other person hears the tones. The DTMF tones can be generated by either party's voice.

The only other way the DTMF tones are generated are if someone at one or the other side of the conversation, hits the phone key pad.
#99113 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:35 pm
My understanding is that while converting outgoing voice, Ooma sometimes mistakenly converts into DTMF. If you hear DTMF when you are using Ooma, the other party is sending the DTMF (either by DTMF talk-off or real DTMF) and not by Ooma converting anything.
#99453 by Sharpshot
Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:39 pm
lbmofo wrote:My understanding is that while converting outgoing voice, Ooma sometimes mistakenly converts into DTMF. If you hear DTMF when you are using Ooma, the other party is sending the DTMF (either by DTMF talk-off or real DTMF) and not by Ooma converting anything.

Both my parents and I are using an OOMA Telo. I am hearing these tones while speaking with them, and they hear it on their end as well. It is absolutely ridiculous and has been this way for nearly a year now. How is this not fixed?
#101052 by jjstrybosch
Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:35 am
We had this problem on and off.

We had DSL which in our area could only provide 350 Mbps upstream. At first we kept getting disconnected frequently until I set the upstream bandwidth on our box to use only 256 Mbps of that. That solved the trouble with disconnects.

Still we had lots of audio drop-outs and this button press sound.

A month ago we upgraded to broadband with 500 Mbps upstream. I gave 400 Mbps to Ooma in it's settings.

Now the drop-outs gone, the touch tone sound gone. And I'd say the sound quality is hard to distinguish from the telco... even with hands-free.