This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#59789 by koko1
Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:14 pm
I've been having this problem since we purchase the Telo. Changed phone, changed phones position in he configuration, ie modem Ooma router to modem router Ooma. Changed back to non integrated service. Turned off QOS per Customer Service. Any call after a few minutes sometimes after 15 minutes DTMF occurs. Today I upgraded my ATT DSL, I don't know if this will work. If not the Ooma goes back, unfortunately, because everything else is perfect. I'll keep this forum posted. If anybody has any news, please post.
#60155 by southsound
Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:31 pm
oom101 wrote:If it happens after a 15 minute delay, looks like they should send you another Ooma to try. Good luck.

Can I ask why you think that this is true? Have you read the earlier posts regarding DTMF talkoff? You seem to be pretty confident in your suggestion to have ooma send a new unit. Would you please be so kind as to walk us through the logic that a different Telo would act differently?
#60211 by oom101
Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:19 pm
It seems pretty strange that the DTMF takeoff is after a 15 minute wait. Maybe they get shriller voiced after a heated conversation? You're right, I was guessing. What do you think?

I did have a caller id box in the past that would click the line sometimes, but I never timed it. My sister has something like that going on now.
#60379 by oom101
Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 pm
Southsound,
I was waiting to see if you had any ideas on this? I had indeed spent hours reading this and other threads, but probably made a gut diagnosis, as I stated.
It could be the termination equipment on the called end I suppose?
Hello?
#60381 by southsound
Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:10 pm
oom101 wrote:Southsound,
I was waiting to see if you had any ideas on this? I had indeed spent hours reading this and other threads, but probably made a gut diagnosis, as I stated.
It could be the termination equipment on the called end I suppose?
Hello?

koko1 never got back to us regarding the problem. They said, "Any call after a few minutes sometimes after 15 minutes DTMF occurs." so it seems like it is not really just after 15 minutes. The system is most likely responding to what it considers DTMF and recreates actual DTMF tones. I have not had it happen on our systems but I have heard about it on random ooma devices. On many ATA's there is an adjustment you can make for sensitivity. On the ooma, it is not something that a user can adjust. It may be the equipment on the other end or it may be a problem with the termination "partner" that ooma uses. My advice is always to keep a log of things like this so when calling customer support you can give them enough information to really do some research on their own logs.

I like saving money so maybe I'm a tad more patient than some - but I did that with an echo problem early on and have had about 15 months of stellar service since. I retired my beloved hub/scout some time ago but I really love my Telo too. I think that with new technology it is kind of a partnership between us as users and support to make sure we get the best possible service. This means that ooma may not be for everyone - but for those willing to make the effort to work with support when required, I believe they will be more than satisfied with the results. I can't imagine any company offering more for a very low price. And though I've been called an ooma fan-boy, I think my record for honesty and holding ooma's feet to the fire when required speaks differently.

As an aside - thank you for trying to help people on the forum. Sometimes I think we all tend to jump to conclusions before we have all the facts, but as we listen and respond more, our advice gets better.
#64158 by cmjacobsen
Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:41 am
I am having a similar problem. It has only occured when my wife uses the phone. She has experienced this on several calls where it sounds like she is on a party line. In the middle of her conversation someone/something just dials a phone number. It is not just one tone it is an entire tone sequence like someone hit the redial button on the phone. She is positive she did not hit redial. Any suggestions?
#64163 by nn5i
Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 am
Southsound's explanation, besides being admirably clear, is also admirably correct. The solution is obvious, but Ooma would have to do it; the user cannot.

There is no technological reason -- I speak as an electrical engineer with considerable experience as a circuit designer -- there is no reason to mute tones and regenerate them. Instead, since the tones are all within the audio passband useful for speech (and since all telephone equipment is designed to pass these frequencies), any tones actually generated by the user (by pressing buttons) should be transmitted as they are. The idea that Voip systems can't transmit them is nonsense. They're nothing but in-band audio, just as speech is. Simply transmit the user's audio, including touchtones, intact -- and never detect, mute, or regenerate the tones. Poof! Problem disappears. If the equipment doesn't detect touchtones, then there will be no false detections.