This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#56905 by demeulenaere
Fri May 28, 2010 7:55 am
I couldn't find this problem in the forums, so I am hoping someone else has had this problem and fixed it.

When I am talking on my Ooma Telo with my cordless Utech phone people hear a tone as if I am hitting the keypad number, though I am not. We have tried changing our QoS, but that hasn't done anything.

I must say that Ooma support has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I have spent over 3 hours with about 5 to 6 calls and still no help. When I finally made it to the level 3 support the person did a little tweaking and it seemed to help, but it has since gotten worse. This engineer then stated if it continues I am to call him back and he would try replacing the ooma telo. After another 3 calls with his number now being disconnnected, I finially find he transferred out, and the new engineer I am dealing with wants to start all over on the troubleshooting.

I know they are trying, but I must say I am very disappointed with this service.

Overall the quality has been great except for this annoying issue. Not sure what can be done, but if anyone has experienced this please let me know.
#56911 by southsound
Fri May 28, 2010 9:14 am
demeulenaere wrote:When I am talking on my Ooma Telo with my cordless Utech phone people hear a tone as if I am hitting the keypad number, though I am not. We have tried changing our QoS, but that hasn't done anything.

Overall the quality has been great except for this annoying issue. Not sure what can be done, but if anyone has experienced this please let me know.

What you are experiencing has been noted by several other users. First a little education about VoIP. It does a very poor job of transmitting DTMF (the touchtones we dial with) so the "cure" is to have a detection system that decodes the tones, strips out the ones your phone makes, and recreates them on the back end. It works well MOST of the time. What is probably happening is the system is detecting some of your vocal inflections as DTMF and creating the DTMF tones when it believes you are sending them. It typically happens more with female or higher male voices. Sometimes changing the phone helps - other times, changing how loud you are speaking helps. I'm not sure what ooma can do on an individual basis because we all need the decoding/recreation process to access our banks, credit card companies, etc. If these suggestions and support are not able to solve the problem after a reasonable time, you might want to send an email to Norm Toy (an ooma moderator) regarding the issue. Keep us posted on progress.
#57035 by kruegs
Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 pm
I have had my Ooma Telo for about 4 months and experienced this today on two separate calls... the other party on the call says why are you hitting your keypad, I am hearing tones.

Quick question for those who are hearing this... do you have fax mode turned on? I do, because I have liked the CODEC better with it on, however if this continues, AND it is the cause for the issue, I will turn it off... just curious if those who have experienced this have it on or off?
#57046 by Davesworld
Sun May 30, 2010 11:05 pm
If it's done out of band as it usually is, the codec may have no impact, actually in the BYOD world many people get around this by setting their ATA to do DTMF in band which will only work with g.711 and a good internet connection. The way that cellular networks have gotten around the DTMF talk off issue is that the tone has a specific duration no matter how long or short you press the key and then only tones of that duration are acknowledged as real tones. DTMF Talk Off is triggered by very short tones in the human voice that we never notice in conversations until they set off a beep.
#57951 by demeulenaere
Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:11 am
kruegs wrote:I have had my Ooma Telo for about 4 months and experienced this today on two separate calls... the other party on the call says why are you hitting your keypad, I am hearing tones.

Quick question for those who are hearing this... do you have fax mode turned on? I do, because I have liked the CODEC better with it on, however if this continues, AND it is the cause for the issue, I will turn it off... just curious if those who have experienced this have it on or off?

They did mention that I check the fax mode, but I couldn't find that setting where the tech told me to go. Where is that?