This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#56578 by sfhub
Tue May 25, 2010 8:08 am
Davesworld wrote:Your better off pinging one of Ooma's servers or running a traceroute

If you actually read you would see this is what I suggested he do earlier (which got no response from OP)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8003&start=0#p56415

Further you will see that I suggested the high round trip times could just be a different route to server
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8003&start=10#p56523

From my experience *with that particular test app*, those round trip times are high. It could be nothing at all and just normal operation or it could be some type of intermittent issue coupled with higher than normal latency, but it is somewhere to investigate further. Sometimes you don't get constant jitter so it doesn't show up on tests unless you catch it at the right time. Sometimes the delays are from other people on the shared cable network.

You are welcome to give your opinions where OP should look to explain his Ooma working fine for 6 weeks, then suddenly dropping calls and now echoing.

My suggestion is he do further analysis on the packets going back and forth at the time the phone call goes bad. What is yours?
#56591 by Tiger5353
Tue May 25, 2010 11:55 am
TCP delay under 100 is good. The ITU (International Telecommunication Union) recommend that one way delay should not exceed 400ms for acceptable speech quality.

And for what it's worth i agree with sfhub you should check the settings when you are having problems with your ooma and see what it tells you then.
#57368 by theo1958
Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:24 pm
Update: I could not leave my intial post without an positive update. I am keeping OOMA! I don't know if it was the latest update or proper alignement of the stars, but OOMA is behaving perfectly: no dropped called in the middle of a conversation, no mystery voices in the background, no echo.

Whoever fixed my problems: THANK YOU! :P
#57389 by tivoboy
Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 am
I continue to have ups and downs with quality. Not sure what it is, some days, it is fine others I get 5-10 seconds of the other party saying they cannot hear. I have QOS on the router to prioritize ooma above all others, of course inbound streams cannot be prioritized but I have 7MB down and don't DL large files when doing ooma.