This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#56498 by theo1958
Mon May 24, 2010 11:00 am
Ok, for all you folks who understand these numbers: Test run today. My Connection Server website.

Max Bandwith: 20,800 kbps
Pack Loss 0.0%
Jitter 0.9%
MOS Score 4.2
QOS 83%
Download speed 16.2 mbps
Upload speed 4.53 mbps
Rtt ms 25
Max download delay 18 ms
Ave download delay 1ms
Ave round trip time to server 26ms

All input welcome.
#56515 by theo1958
Mon May 24, 2010 1:33 pm
Ok, using the recommended site. My results at results this afternoon are:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3879064 bps
Upload speed: 4445088 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 94 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 99 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 94 ms
Average round trip time to server: 96 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 25600000bps
Route concurrency: 6.59953
Download TCP forced idle: 79 %
Maximum route speed: 5577440bps

ALSO, I have not adjusted the QOS... I don't know how.
#56523 by sfhub
Mon May 24, 2010 2:13 pm
Your round trip times are high. Near 100ms you can have problems with voice quality including echo.

I'm surprised it is so high as you otherwise have a decent connection. Most DSL connections are probably around 15-30ms. Cable is usually 30-60ms.

What is a little confusing is your earlier test had much lower round trip times, so possibly your connection has some intermittent issue or maybe different routes are producing different #s.

Personally I would figure out what is causing the higher round trip times before assuming Ooma is the problem. Though it can happen, It isn't often that hardware works for a month, then stops working. It is more likely some external factor changed. Also sometimes things can coincidentally happen at the same time leading us to think that is the cause, but really it is something else. I'm not saying anything specific about your case, other than the round trip times are high. The rest is just to nudge you in a direction that could be more efficient in resolving your issue.
#56526 by theo1958
Mon May 24, 2010 2:22 pm
I have found that depending on the time of day the numbers are noticeably different. Today I called Comcast cable and asked them to check everything. They pinged the modem and did a speed test. When they asked what was my problem, and I told them about my voip setup... they told me it was physically impossible for any voip system other than their own to function on their internet line and that OOMA or any other company's product would not work. When I told him I was currently on my voip system he said it simply shouldn't be working. They're idiots.
#56533 by lbmofo
Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm
theo1958 wrote:they told me it was physically impossible for any voip system other than their own to function on their internet line and that OOMA or any other company's product would not work. When I told him I was currently on my voip system he said it simply shouldn't be working. They're idiots.

They tell you how good of a deal they have on their digital phone service?
#56543 by murphy
Mon May 24, 2010 4:31 pm
theo1958 wrote:As a matter of fact.....they did. They guaranteed it to be flawless....

Will they let you have it for free? :D
#56564 by Davesworld
Tue May 25, 2010 12:10 am
sfhub wrote:Your round trip times are high. Near 100ms you can have problems with voice quality including echo.

I'm surprised it is so high as you otherwise have a decent connection. Most DSL connections are probably around 15-30ms. Cable is usually 30-60ms.

What is a little confusing is your earlier test had much lower round trip times, so possibly your connection has some intermittent issue or maybe different routes are producing different #s.

Personally I would figure out what is causing the higher round trip times before assuming Ooma is the problem. Though it can happen, It isn't often that hardware works for a month, then stops working. It is more likely some external factor changed. Also sometimes things can coincidentally happen at the same time leading us to think that is the cause, but really it is something else. I'm not saying anything specific about your case, other than the round trip times are high. The rest is just to nudge you in a direction that could be more efficient in resolving your issue.

Round trip to where? Your mail box at the curb? That test only tells you the round trip to the test server. Your better off pinging one of Ooma's servers or running a traceroute and even then that's only the proxy server used to set up the call, the RTP packets are what carry the voice and their round trip time is the most meaningful between you and the other party but is only a small part of the equation of problems. Anything under 100ms with no packet loss and low jitter should be undetectable. Packet loss and jitter cause far more latency due to the amount of RTP packet retransmissions and RTP packets being received out of order and having to be reassembled in order when all the needed packets arrive.