This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#56324 by koongo
Fri May 21, 2010 8:17 pm
Ooma uses up most of my internet bandwidth.

Using speedtest.net, without anybody talking on the Ooma phone I get 25.4 Mbps up and 18.3 Mbps down with a 12ms ping. This is the excellent service that Verizon Fios provides.

When the Ooma phone is in use I get 10.66 Mbps up, only .12 Mbps down with an 8ms ping.

The download speed is so fast it doesn't matter that Ooma uses more than I expected but almost all my upload speed is gone. Is Ooma supposed to use that much of my Internet capacity?

KoonG
#56326 by southsound
Fri May 21, 2010 8:39 pm
How do you have your ooma system connected? With that kind of bandwidth I would have my ooma after my router - then it should not affect your speeds at all unless you are on a call - then only a small portion of what you have available.

Did I mention, "Welcome to ooma and to the forum?"
#56330 by FreePhone
Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm
koongo wrote:Using speedtest.net, without anybody talking on the Ooma phone I get 25.4 Mbps up and 18.3 Mbps down with a 12ms ping.
So you have a service that provides faster uploads than downloads? Most get much faster downloads than uploads, for instance I have 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up service with Charter Cable.
#56343 by koongo
Sat May 22, 2010 7:39 am
South sound

I have the FIOS modem connected to my router. From the router one ethernet is connected to computer 1, a second ethernet is connected to computer 2 and the third ethernet is connected to the Ooma.

FreePhone

Sorry for the typo. It is 25.4 Mbps DOWN and 18.3 Mbps UP when nobody is using the Ooma.

When the Ooma is active is is 10.6 Mbps DOWN and 0.12 UP when somebody is talking the telephone via Ooma.

Koongo
#56344 by southsound
Sat May 22, 2010 8:05 am
koongo wrote:South sound

I have the FIOS modem connected to my router. From the router one ethernet is connected to computer 1, a second ethernet is connected to computer 2 and the third ethernet is connected to the Ooma.

Koongo

Wow! I would assume that connected in that manner you would have virtually no effect on your connection with speeds so great. I'm going to bow out to one of the forum's awesome networking experts to see if one of them can come up with a possible cause and fix.
#56345 by Groundhound
Sat May 22, 2010 8:55 am
koongo wrote:South sound

FreePhone

Sorry for the typo. It is 25.4 Mbps DOWN and 18.3 Mbps UP when nobody is using the Ooma.

When the Ooma is active is is 10.6 Mbps DOWN and 0.12 UP when somebody is talking the telephone via Ooma.

Koongo

In setup.ooma.com go to the advanced page and enter 0 for both Quality of Service settings, with those speeds you probably don't need those settings active. Note: this will only affect speeds from Ooma's home network port.
#56346 by southsound
Sat May 22, 2010 8:57 am
Groundhound wrote: In setup.ooma.com go to the advanced page and enter 0 for both Quality of Service settings, with those speeds you probably don't need those settings active.

I would have thought the same - but the OP states that his ooma is AFTER his router???
#56347 by Groundhound
Sat May 22, 2010 8:58 am
southsound wrote:
Groundhound wrote: In setup.ooma.com go to the advanced page and enter 0 for both Quality of Service settings, with those speeds you probably don't need those settings active.

I would have thought the same - but the OP states that his ooma is AFTER his router???

Yeah, I edited my post with a note above.
#56348 by sfhub
Sat May 22, 2010 9:25 am
koongo wrote:I have the FIOS modem connected to my router. From the router one ethernet is connected to computer 1, a second ethernet is connected to computer 2 and the third ethernet is connected to the Ooma.

If you had it set up differently before and it cloned some mac address, it can cause confusion for the packets resulting in ARP/MAC table pollution and behavior like you describe.