This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#55802 by jawj52
Mon May 17, 2010 4:43 pm
The quality of calls on our Ooma has always been very poor (echoing, garbled speech, cross talk, dropped calls.) I have upped the QOS numbers without any noticeable change. A speedtest of my Comcast connection to servers in both San Fransisco and Modesto (both approx. 150 miles distant) returns a slowest result of 11.10 Mbps download and 9.36 Mbps upload. I ran a ping and jitter test, even though I don't know what they are, with a result of 21ms for ping and 1ms for jitter.

We don't download large files other than to watch Netflix while on the treadmill. And I'm not co-ordinated enough to walk and talk at the same time!

In another post someone recommended setting the upload and download to zero. Would this allow the Ooma to take as much as it wants? Might I expect better sound quality this way? Is there a better way to go with my setup?

Thanks for your time.
Joe
#55804 by lbmofo
Mon May 17, 2010 4:54 pm
That's darn good upload speed for cable internet.

Could you do the following test and after test is run, go to the "advanced" tab and get the text of the result?

VoIP Quality Test:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.
#55834 by jawj52
Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 pm
Here are the results. I also did another speedtest and the numbers were similar to what is shown here. Must be a few more people online now.

Thanks.
Joe

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 10109416 bps
Upload speed: 3346864 bps
Download quality of service: 90 %
Upload quality of service: 70 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 54 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 31 ms
Average round trip time to server: 34 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24800000bps
Route concurrency: 2.4531586
Download TCP forced idle: 38 %
Maximum route speed: 16912256bps
#55835 by jawj52
Mon May 17, 2010 7:43 pm
Here is a second test. I noticed that the "upload quality of service" is at 18%. That doesn't look good.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 11502936 bps
Upload speed: 6441112 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 18 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 29 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 27 ms
Average round trip time to server: 40 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 25600000bps
Route concurrency: 2.2255187
Download TCP forced idle: 50 %
Maximum route speed: 19417776bps
#55894 by lbmofo
Tue May 18, 2010 9:56 am
Although your upload quality of service is kind of low sometimes but your internet seems okay to me; with low jitter and no packet loss, your VoIP quality should be better than how you describe it.

jawj52 wrote:The quality of calls on our Ooma has always been very poor (echoing, garbled speech, cross talk, dropped calls.)

Have you tried putting your ooma between the modem and router and then doing this?

murphy wrote:Connect to the setup page in the Ooma box, go to the network page, click on use built in MAC address, click on update.
Turn off your cable modem and Ooma.
Turn on the cable modem and wait for sync with your ISP.
Turn on Ooma.
#55907 by hpepper
Tue May 18, 2010 11:23 am
Also, if your Ooma is currently NOT between your modem and router, the QOS settings in the Ooma won't do a thing. The QOS settings in Ooma only work if the Ooma is between the Modem and Router MODEM > OOMA > ROUTER

The QOS settings in Ooma control how much data is allowed to be used out of the Home Network port.
#55973 by jawj52
Tue May 18, 2010 7:15 pm
The Ooma is connected to the modem and the router is behind the Ooma since day one. Is there some way to check/eliminate a hardware problem?

Thanks for the help.
Joe
#56387 by jawj52
Sat May 22, 2010 5:22 pm
I did try it out. The conversation I had would echo back everything I said for awhile, though the person on the other end said the connection sounded better than usual. But by the time we finished, the echo had stopped but the quality at the other end of the call had deteriorated significantly.

Thanks.
Joe
#56423 by lbmofo
Sun May 23, 2010 12:32 am
I am puzzled; might need some more experienced user to chime in here.

Btw, the other person isn't using a Magic Jack or NetTalk TK6000 right? JK. :)