This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#55586 by VinceR
Fri May 14, 2010 4:20 pm
I installed Telo for a friend and call quality is an issue. He has DSL with a combined modem and router (ActionTec GT704-WG), so it is not possible to put the Telo in front of the router. I have it connected behind the router, so I need to make QoS adjustments to the ActionTec to improve call quality.

I haven't a clue as to what to use for settings. Is there an Ooma QoS document specific to this router, or one that covers all these settings? Here are the settings I need to make:

--------------------
QoS Upstream Settings
- Enable (y/n)
- Trusted Mode (y/n)

Please input the percentage for low and medium traffic flow:
- low priority weight (10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90)
- medium priority weight (10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90)

Rule List (Add/Remove buttons for making a list of rules, each with the following settings)

Rule Parameters:
- Priority (Low,Medium,High)
- Protocol (Any, TCP, UDP, ICMP)
- Set DSCP (y/n)
- DSCP (BE(Low),AF41(Medium),AF42,AF43,AF31,AF32,AF33,AF21,AF22,AF23,AF11,AF12,AF13,EF(High))

Source:
- IP address
- Netmask
- Port Range

Destination:
- IP address
- Netmask
- Port Range

--------------------
REPEAT ALL OF THE ABOVE FOR THE 'QoS Downstream Settings' PAGE
--------------------

Note: I took his Telo home and connected it between my 15Mbps cable modem and router, and it works great here.
#55743 by VinceR
Mon May 17, 2010 6:56 am
I am not getting any replies, so it seems this is not the proper place to post this question? Can someone tell me where to go to get this information? Thanks.
#55748 by southsound
Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 am
I have a similar modem/router (ActionTec GT701-WG) that has only one port - so I don't know about setting up QoS in the ActionTec or even if it is possible. I DO know a solution, however. I have used my older hub (now retired) and currently use my Telo directly between the modem/router and a Netgear switch. I have QoS set on my Telo and call quality is excellent. All devices (except the wireless which I use only for my iPod Touch) are under QoS control of the Telo. Depending on how fast your friend's connection is, my settings may or may not be appropriate. I have 1.5mbps down, 868kbps up. My QoS settings on the Advanced tab are 768 down and 384 up. If his connection speeds are greater, just increase the numbers I use. I use a 16-port switch but you can pick up an innexpensive 5 port that will probably meet your friend's needs.

If your friend uses the wireless connection for downloading large files, this may be a problem. For me, the system works great as described above.
#55759 by VinceR
Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 am
southsound wrote:I have a similar modem/router (ActionTec GT701-WG) that has only one port - so I don't know about setting up QoS in the ActionTec or even if it is possible. I DO know a solution, however. I have used my older hub (now retired) and currently use my Telo directly between the modem/router and a Netgear switch. I have QoS set on my Telo and call quality is excellent. All devices (except the wireless which I use only for my iPod Touch) are under QoS control of the Telo. Depending on how fast your friend's connection is, my settings may or may not be appropriate. I have 1.5mbps down, 868kbps up. My QoS settings on the Advanced tab are 768 down and 384 up. If his connection speeds are greater, just increase the numbers I use. I use a 16-port switch but you can pick up an innexpensive 5 port that will probably meet your friend's needs.

Thanks south. If I use an ethernet switch after the Telo and connect the PC to the switch, are you saying that Telo can still control the QoS because it takes what it needs and the switch will not allow the non-Telo ports to have any bandwidth that the Telo is using? How can it do that? Is there priority built into the tcpip protocol so that one 'peer' device can take precedence over others?

The QoS settings you speak of ... how do you get to them? Does the Telo contain a web server that would allow me to configure it from a browser? I can't find any info online or offline about this.
#55761 by southsound
Mon May 17, 2010 10:37 am
VinceR wrote:If I use an ethernet switch after the Telo and connect the PC to the switch, are you saying that Telo can still control the QoS because it takes what it needs and the switch will not allow the non-Telo ports to have any bandwidth that the Telo is using? How can it do that? Is there priority built into the tcpip protocol so that one 'peer' device can take precedence over others?

The QoS settings you speak of ... how do you get to them? Does the Telo contain a web server that would allow me to configure it from a browser? I can't find any info online or offline about this.

The Telo has a web server that you can reach from a pc connected to the home network port. You can load the page by typing setup.ooma.com into the browswer. If that doesn't work for you (it doesn't for me because I use OpenDNS) you can access it by its IP address: 172.27.35.1 - from there, click the Advanced tab and you will see the settings for QoS. The Telo does a pretty good job of restricting excessive traffic that would make voice quality go down. You may have to play with the numbers somewhat to achieve the best possible call quality without restricting PC traffic too much. For us, I have never had a problem with the settings listed in my post. I'm not too much of a network guy but I understand that there is enough information in the packets to allow a router or router-like device to prioritize. And remember, when the Telo is after your combo unit and before the switch, it is able to throttle down anything that flows through it. The only downside is that it has no way to control the wireless port - in my case, that is not a problem since I only use it for my iPod Touch.

And since I forgot in my original post, welcome to ooma and to the forum!
#107157 by nicholshornlake
Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 pm
I just went into Actiontec advanced setting and checked enable qos and trusted. I didn't even change the other settings. So far no problems, even if I am downloading. I called someone while I was downloading to see if I was breaking up. Sounded good she said. Before I did this it was breaking up if I downloaded.