This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#29736 by southsound
Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:51 pm
dsegel wrote:Any resolution to this issue? I have a periodic echo problem as well, but it's so variable I don't have much faith in anybody being able to solve the problem. It seems to come on during long phone calls after 10 or 15 minutes.

My service continues to be stellar. I love the ooma hub/scout and have recently added the Telo to our home system. I know it seems silly to have 16 phones and 3 lines in a single family home, but that's our lifestyle. My wife and I are both counselors and involved in recovery support. We spend a lot of time on the phone and require good communication. ooma offers an awesome value with good quality and reliability. I will continue to keep a landline because I get a great deal on my DSL when I'm a Qwest dialtone customer. But I'll never fall for their long distance plans or additional lines. I have all I could ever want and more with ooma.

JMHO - and I don't work for ooma. Something about the minimum height requirement and raccoons being a little too short. But I sure love their phone service! :cool:
#29797 by Robspace1
Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:58 am
I just replied to another thread about this problem and I did have the Ooma tech support guy call me. We tried a few things. It came down to this: When I use my cordless phone, which was expensive, I get the echo. When I use my corded phone that was cheap, I get no echo. So, why this happens I don't know but the Ooma guy was not real surprised as corded phones always deliver a better signal and sound then the cordless phones do. Try it out. Go buy a cheap 10 dollar corded phone and see if you lose the echo. Please tell us the results as some have told me that this should not make any difference. Well, it does or did in my case.
#29847 by southsound
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:22 pm
Robspace1 wrote:When I use my cordless phone, which was expensive, I get the echo. When I use my corded phone that was cheap, I get no echo.

One of the biggest causes of echo is due to the fact that a cordless phone often has a more sensitive microphone and louder earpiece output than a corded phone. Try making your calls with the handset volume turned to its lowest point - if this cures the echo then your problem is acoustic coupling and no matter what ooma or their partners come up with, your best success will be using the cordless phones with the volume down.
#29912 by Robspace1
Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:13 pm
I don't have it all the way up now but at a level I need to hear with. So, by turning it down I may get rid of the echo but not be able to hear anyone. Think I'll just stick with the corded model. It has a clear signal every time and even with no echo it sounds much better then any cordless.
#34412 by jann
Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:02 pm
Acoustic Coupling...

Hmmm. Could that be the problem with outgoing echo (THEM hearing the echo of their own voice) when I use the Telo Handset? It does not occur with the good quality dect6 cordless phones I have with the same Telo.

Thx

J