This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#6987 by mthomtech
Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:43 pm
Agreed. I'm sure we've all experienced outages from the traditional service provides with responses such as "We are aware of the problem, and are working to solve it" for days without any real explanations.

With ooma, we had a major outage yesterday, but every one of us knew the details and status of the issue thanks to the updates from Bobby B and others.

It's unfortunate to have an outage, but I thank the good work at ooma to keep us updated and solve the problem quickly.
#7789 by tjnamtiw
Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:37 am
mthomtech wrote:Agreed. I'm sure we've all experienced outages from the traditional service provides with responses such as "We are aware of the problem, and are working to solve it" for days without any real explanations.

With ooma, we had a major outage yesterday, but every one of us knew the details and status of the issue thanks to the updates from Bobby B and others.

It's unfortunate to have an outage, but I thank the good work at ooma to keep us updated and solve the problem quickly.

Amen to that one! As I said on other threads, Ma Bell told me that they would 'eventually' find my problem. Every time it rains, my landline dies!!! Can you imagine these crybabies posting if that happened with ooma?????????
#19539 by Robspace1
Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:22 am
Southsound-Glad you got rid of Pete and RePete. It gets old hah? I've been hearing myself talk for weeks now and I too have Qwest DSL with MSN Premium. Mines a tad slower at 9.5 dl and 0.75 ul. I used Speedtest.net, did you? Where would I want to set the QOS settings or where can I find that out? Like you said, the echos only on my end and the other party doesen't hear it at all. Not fair, I live in Southern Wa. Vancouver and have not seen any posts on this problem from here. It is hard to carry on a conversation and I need to get rid of it asap.

I was wondering why, when you were picking out a new phone area to use if you had thought about using Grand Central Station to have all your incoming call go to one line.(it's free, or was) In other words you can hand out any numbers you like to people, make them local for them in your area code and when it rings it will be the Grand Central number that rings your phone! It works real good. I'm guessing that it's still around as I haven't used it in a long time.

I had that terrible thing called Majic Jack for 3 whole years and it got to the point near the end where people just refused to call me on that number and would ask that I call them back using another phone. It was terrible! It was way beyond just echo. It was dropped calls and white noise and bad static. Just a mess and I still own two of them. There sitting in a box in my desk gathering dust and their loaded up with bad memories!-

If only Dan Barsilow had spent a little more of his profits on R+D he would have had a winner like Ooma. Instead he stops short and spends the next 5 years, so far, making one excuse after another as to why the thing dosen't come close to working as advertised. Huge waste of money and time. I must have spent hundreds of hours on the phone and computer with Dan and his top tech support people. I went through the same things as you but in the end, you got yours fixed, I didn't. I tried and tried to make it work so I too could say what a great deal this thing is! I wanted to be able to tell people how wrong they all were about this phone. But, in the end, they were right. It does not work well enough to advise others to get it. I can't lie to people about it and they just gave up trying to get it right so, that's it! Goodby MJ, Hello Ooma! It's nice to be able to actually carry on a clean, clear conversation again.

The minute I plugged it in and called people I knew, they instantly said what a difference there was in the audio.

So, now, here we go again? Sure hope not. Any advive on this would be great. thanks, Rob- Vancouver Wa.
#19541 by Robspace1
Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:47 am
Grand Central phone system is now owned by Google and it is totally free! You can get a number from them and anytime anyone calls any of your numbers, it rings the Grand Central number. When I was waiting for a local prefix for my phone with MJ , I used Grand Central. I gave out a local number to people saving them on the long distance.
http://www.grandcentral.com/
#19587 by southsound
Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:44 am
Robspace1 wrote: I've been hearing myself talk for weeks now and I too have Qwest DSL with MSN Premium. Mines a tad slower at 9.5 dl and 0.75 ul. I used Speedtest.net, did you? Where would I want to set the QOS settings or where can I find that out? Like you said, the echos only on my end and the other party doesen't hear it at all. Not fair, I live in Southern Wa. Vancouver and have not seen any posts on this problem from here.

I was wondering why, when you were picking out a new phone area to use if you had thought about using Grand Central Station to have all your incoming call go to one line.

Any advive on this would be great. thanks, Rob- Vancouver Wa.

Glad to offer some suggestions and answer a question or two. First, your second question regarding Grand Central. At the time I was unaware of it because it had already been taken over by Google Voice and only previous GC users were able to use it. Since it has become available I do use Google Voice to manage all my phones - landline, ooma, and cell. When we recently had a 5 day outage of our landline, callers never had a clue because they all went to my ooma phone.

Now let's talk about the echo problem. It can come from several sources - the most common is an audio path created when your phone's volume is too high. Since there is a delay using VOIP and you get a "monitor" effect with your earpiece, it causes an echo on your end only. If it was a PA system, it would be giving you a squeal. Same process, you turn down the earpiece and the echo goes away. Since the ooma has a little higher output that some phone lines, it is worth a try.

We have similar upload speeds and your download is still great for VOIP. I did use speedtest but I also used one recommended by ooma for their tests: http://ndt.iupui.nuq01.measurement-lab.org:7123/ . The text will say the test is not available, but as soon as the start button appears, you can click it to start the test. After it completes, click statistics and you will get great detail. Given my own experience, I'd recommend QoS settings of 576 download and 384 upload.

If it is not caused by an audio path or QoS settings, it is most likely caused (or at least not removed) by echo suppression hardware or software used by the ILEC "partners" that ooma uses as the signal goes from VOIP to Analog. You didn't mention if your problem was with all numbers, incoming and outgoing, or just some numbers. Mine was the latter. Some calls were great, others not so much. Most of my problem was with local (360 area code) calls - but not all calls in a particular prefix. That is why keeping a log is so important. Record all calls that give a problem - date, time, number, incoming or outgoing, degree of echo (light, medium, heavy). After about 10 or 15 of those calls, it is time to call ooma tech support. I don't believe that the folks who answer the phones will be able to do much for you other than escalate the problem to a senior tech. That senior tech will be able to take your logs and check them against routing information on their servers. It may mean several trial and error fixes, but my experience is that the ooma folks won't quit until you have great service. Courtesy and grace are the watchwords when dealing with them. Feel free to post your experiences or email me with questions.
#19757 by Robspace1
Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:26 pm
Thanks for the info. My dl spped is supposed to be 11mbps but only shows 9 on some tests so it just depends who tests it. As far as the amount of echo, I did make a long distance call today and there was no echo at all. It does seem to be the local calls that have it. I'll keep a log for a few days and maybe change the QOS settings.

The difference between this company and Magic Jack is like night and day. You can spend alot of time trying to get answers from them while I got a call from someone at Ooma today wanting to help me get rid of the echo! Now thats fast, good service. It was too late when I got the message so I'll call them tomorro. What a difference in company tech support! I really hope these guys stay around for years to come.
+
#19868 by niknak
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 am
... I did make a long distance call today and there was no echo at all. It does seem to be the local calls that have it. I'll keep a log for a few days and maybe change the QOS settings....

If the echo is not acoustic (feedback from the earpiece) and it is limited to local calls only, the problem is most likely due to impedance issues at the local switch - adjusting QOS will not help. Ooma's engineers need to work with their telco partner to "tweak" the echo cancellation settings on their switch
#20559 by Robspace1
Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:46 pm
My echo is getting worse. I got a call from one of Oomas tech people a few days ago. I was gone but he left a message. I haven't called him back yet because I want to see if there is some kind of pattern to this or see if it only does this on local calls. Well, I should have just gone ahead and called him right back because waiting to see if there's a pattern or some kind of redundancy to this was a waste of time. There is none. The echo happens at any time on any call, local or long distance so that was a big waste of time. If yours starts to echo, just email tech support and don't bother waiting to do a log or try to find a pattern to this as there is none. Tomorro I'll be calling the tech man back finally and get rid of this stupid echo-it's driving me nuts. Getting louder and louder and its now taking over the phone! It's gotta go!
#29734 by dsegel
Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:16 pm
Any resolution to this issue? I have a periodic echo problem as well, but it's so variable I don't have much faith in anybody being able to solve the problem. It seems to come on during long phone calls after 10 or 15 minutes.