This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#4925 by southsound
Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 am
Success!!

I got a call last evening from ooma telling me that they had made some major changes to call routing tables for this area and were uploading them to server during their nightly update. He asked me to test some numbers this morning to see if there was an improvement in my echo problem. As I was calling a local landline number, I noticed that the echo was gone but call quality on the landline end was terrible. As I was haning up, I got another call from ooma. I described the problem and he had me change some of the QOS settings on the advanced setup screen.

After making quite a few calls, I can happily report that my problems have been fixed. No echo, great call quality, what I would call a "Normal" telephone experience - but without the big bills. Was it worth the wait? You betcha!

OOMA ROCKS!
#4930 by dlong
Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:57 am
EXCELLENT Southbound. Your persistence paid off. Can you put in a good word for me (just kidding)?

ANYHOW, don't forget to keep your word and create an ooma.info site that has answers to all the most important questions commonly raised on this forum, i.e., an ooma INFO site. You know, like echo, hum on the line, bandwidth QOS, porting numbers, etc. You get the idea. Ooma could cut down on answering those tech support phone calls. And, we wouldn't need to read them as much here. It could have helped me a few weeks ago.
#4933 by southsound
Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:17 am
Seems to be a little misunderstanding about the level of my involvement in the future of the ooma.info domain name. My intention was to donate it to ooma after they got me working. In fact, if you check now you will find that entering http://ooma.info takes you to the official ooma.com site.

I'm not sure if I have the technical expertise to create a site that would cover all of the diverse issues that come up in the forum. I think that ooma would be a better source for that. But I will continue to help as I can on the forum, and allow ooma to do with the new domain as they wish. Maybe the best thing would be for them to expand their FAQ for those who are already registered users. Kind of a knowlegebase type application. They may already have one in-house. They could tag the articles in some way for external or internal-only use, then have the web interface display the appropriate information. If they did this in a way that would allow wiki-type access for those 20 or so "power users" we see all the time in these threads, it might even help their own internal efforts at customer support.

I'll forward this thought on to the exec who has been calling me with updates and see where ooma wants to go with it.
#4968 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:44 pm
That's good news!

Out of curiosity ... what adjustments did you make to QoS? And I can't remember if you had the hub before or after the router ...

Now ... have a fun time calling for FREE!!!
#4970 by southsound
Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:49 pm
I have a DSL splitter (Wilcom PS-15) before my Actiontec GT-701WT. Then the ooma, then a netgear switch. The only thing that gets ahead of the ooma is my iPod touch - so not much bandwith used there. No load from the ooma, my download is 1270 and upload is 766. Tino had me set the QOS download at 768 and the upload at 384. The change in quality was imense!
#4971 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:53 pm
what were the settings before you changed them? That's good info. They are troubleshooting my scout issue where the landline end quality is subpar ... I haven't tried changing the QoS settings yet, but it may be useful as we troubleshoot.

Thanks!
#6793 by niknak
Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:20 pm
sonic2000 wrote:so wat are the executive homephone #'s? lol i think i need to make some calls to get my point across for the long outtage today. Someone needs to get fired.

Unfortunately network outages happen, something like today';s outage probably happens rarely, and for the benefits of $0.00 TELEPHONE BILLS I managed to live through the few hour outage....one winter an ice storm took out the copper phone wires and it took Verizon 3 or 4 days to come and rewire from the pole to my house

let's be glad everything is back up and running!
#6812 by southsound
Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:38 pm
Sonic2000,

Sorry, but I lost that list of executive home numbers when my service was made echo free.

This outage affected all ooma customers, but was not necessarily ooma's fault. I host a number of commercial websites - a couple of years ago when a backhoe operator cut a bundle of fiber optic cables that supported the datacenter where my host computers lived caused a major outage for my customers and several thousand more. It was unforseeable.

My current host farm has been up without an incident so far this year - and my stats for last year were about 99.998% uptime. But all it would take is for someone to take out a cable and I'd have customers asking for someone's head.

Bottom line, in our sophisticated world with all of the interconnection and interdependence on technology, there will be times when something doesn't work. In this case, I think ooma did the right thing - they restored service as quickly as possible for as many users as possible. They communicated via the first page of the ooma Service Status posting on the forum. I commend ooma for taking care of things as they did. Was it inconvenient for all of us? Yes. Does someone need to get fired? I think not.